Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Complaints
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 pm 

This isn't an actual complaint.
I spend a lot of time on Trip Advisor. Whenever a new visitor asks a question I try to steer them over here.

Through the years I've read a number of lame complaints from MB visitors. Obvious they aren't beach lovers and trying hard to find fault in someplace new. Sheets are too coarse. Towels are too hard. Sand is too hot. They can't be made happy.

One that stuck with me all these years was a complaint about housekeeping. Housekeeping was too slow to respond to spider web on balcony rail.......

Today a new one.....Right up there with the spider web.......Water faucets at Myrtle Beach Airport aren't timed right....Not enough time to wash hands.......

Post subject: Re: Complaints
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:07 pm 

Things that make ya go...."huh..."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:16 pm 

Ha ha! I agree that there are people who will never be satisfied no matter how nice a place is.

:off-topic: Now this reminds me also of people complaining about UPS and not getting their items for Christmas. When I heard this, I thought, it's no big deal. Maybe people ordered too late, or the company didnt have enough help. Quit whining your Christmas was ruined. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus and going to church and spending time with friends and family. So what if you get a gift late.

Be thankful for what you have, and think about those who have it worse than you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

The airport is performing good customer service by preventing people from missing their flights? :clown:

Alan, first, thank you for sending people here. You send 'em, we'll get them straightened out! :cool:

As far as the complaints go, it's not only MB. Wally and I have gone to an all-inclusive resort every year since 1997. I read the TA reviews, and have even contributed some trip reports myself. One recent review trashed the entire resort because "some birds flew in through the netting and they landed on tables and began eating what people left." Yup. That's what birds do! When you're eating outside on a patio, you're living dangerously. The wait people do their best to oust them, but we have not been to a single resort that didn't have birds.

Good advice, Cathy! You're right on target!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

OK, I WILL post a complaint. Hopefully, no one will think I'm out of line, crossed the line, etc with this.

Just hours ago, my wife and I took our doggies (in their stroller) for a trip to cruise around the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk. Had a great time - until we prepared to leave.

We'd parked at the oceanside beach access/public parking lot on the very south corner of the former Pavilion. Before climbing in our (new) vehicle, I decided to use the men's room - which is located in a small, trailer-mounted building parked in the very corner of the former Pavilion site, along the sidewalk and adjoining the parking lot.

I'd never been in there nor used one like it before. Smaller and more cramped than an airliner rest room. Inside and on the left are a sink, then one of those automatic TURBO-air hurricane-like hand dryers, and a "throne" facing outward from the adjoining wall.

So, I step up to the "throne", unzip, and start to release the "processed sweet tea" (from a couple hours prior) - at the same time I center myself better in front of the "throne" to ensure "maximum accuracy".

Well, my shift to the center of the throne ALSO just happened to position my left shoulder directly under the sensor for the automatic hand dryer. WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!! That thing puts out a concentration of forced air not at all unlike a Navy fighter jet being launched - into a forceful wind, mind you - off an aircraft carrier.

As I said, it's CRAMPED in there. For any of you who understand Mechatronic Engineering: the pneumatic torrent from that hand dryer was directly OVER the releasing hydraulic stream - resulting in maximum disruption and dissipation of the released projected liquescent emission.

For all you laypeople: As a little kid would say, "pee was flying everywhere".

So, that's MY complaint. Definitely a design problem. I'm phoning City Hall at precisely 9AM Monday morning - as the 9-1-1 operator hung up on me when I tried to report it that way...

PS: Guys - use maximum caution when using this "Poorly-Aligned Wind Chamber on Wheels":

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:09 am 

Thanks for the heads-up Mike

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:34 am 

Mike, that was a brilliant description. Thank you for the heads-up. I'm 6' 5" so I will be avoiding this place!! :joker: :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's an engineering problem, and I can't wait to hear with the City of Myrtle Beach has to say.

A tourist walked into a pet shop and was looking at the animals on display. While he was there, another customer walked in and said to the
shopkeeper, "I'll have a C monkey please."

The shopkeeper nodded, went over to a cage at the other side of the shop and took out a monkey. He fit a collar and leash, handed it to the customer, saying, "That'll be $5,000." The customer paid and walked out with his monkey.

Startled, the tourist went over to the shopkeeper and said, "That was a very expensive monkey. Most of them are only a few hundred dollars. Why did it cost so much?"
The shopkeeper answered, "Ah, that monkey can program in C-very fast, tight code, no bugs, well worth the money."

The tourist looked at a monkey in another cage. "That one's even more expensive! $10,000. What does it do?"
"Oh, that one's a C++ monkey. It can manage object-oriented programming. Visual C++, even some Java. All the really useful stuff," said
the shopkeeper.

The tourist looked around for a little longer and saw a third monkey in a cage of its own. The price tag around it's neck read $50,000.
He gasped to the shopkeeper, "That one costs more than all the others put together! What on earth does it do?"

The shopkeeper replied, "Well, I haven't actually seen it do anything, but it says it's an engineer."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:56 pm 

Just to add: I actually filmed a video of that happening in the trailer restroom - but I don't think it's a good idea to publicly post it...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:13 pm 

Prolly still better that the restroom at Peaches Corner that I remember!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 pm 

There are definitely those people that will never be satisfied, no matter what. While there are definitely things to complain about to genuinely help the cause (larger restrooms!?). I really think there's a difference with expecting perfection, rather than being realistic. If you pay for a middle of the road hotel room, that's probably what you're going to get!

We always stay in the middle range places, and expect that. I don't expect it to be 5 star, but expect it to be decent and be stocked with necessities. I don't expect champagne in the fridge waiting for us, but expect glasses to be available etc. Some people always feel they are owed the world.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm 

I always think the same thing when I read some of these people's reviews! "there was a stain in the shower!" really? Personally, when I go on vacation as long as the bed is decent, the shower works, the toilet flushes, and I can see the beach from my balcony, I'm happy!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 pm 

We've had 2 trips to Myrtle as adults and tried the Dayton House on recommendation from Parrothead here on the forum. Loved the place and the price so much, stayed there for this past summer's trip. Had I gone by the reviews on Tripadvisor, I wouldn't have stepped foot in the Dayton House. Both years the entire place was very clean but the Tripadvisor reviews makes the place sound like a crack house.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 pm 

I always look at the negative reviews and look for a trend. Most people only seem to review when things are bad. So that doesn't help the rating at all to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:40 am 

cbr_guest wrote:
I always look at the negative reviews and look for a trend. Most people only seem to review when things are bad. So that doesn't help the rating at all to begin with.

I agree.

In addition, I really don't trust most negative reviews on various online sites anyway. My educated guess is that a very significant number of them are fabricated and/or embellished - either placed by competitors (or people hired by competitors) in order to attempt to drive business away from THEIR competition, or placed by persons who just have a perverse pleasure in posting such harmful propaganda knowing they can do so anonymously or by impersonating an actual patron of that business.

Some of them are rather easy to spot - but it's often hard to determine which ones are false reviews and which ones were just someone emotionally venting about a bad experience...