Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Company Christmas
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:45 pm 

If you don't already know, I live in Sandusky, Ohio: home of Cedar Point Amusement Park. If you're not aware, it has been voted the best amusement park in the US for the last 15 years. We are avid visitors of said park and enjoy our summers there immensely.

Again, if you're not savvy to Phroggy, I'll inform you that I work in a machine shop. I'm not a machinist as I never received any schooling but rather have picked up bits and pieces of information along the way and have mildly succeeded at my position on the job as well as in life in general. I'm great at nothing but good at everything if you know what I mean.

Earlier in the week, my boss (the owner of the company) invited us to a company Christmas dinner. We've done this only two other times in my 13 years on the job and am always negative about the entire situation. Day to day operations leave me, at times, scratching my head on how money is wasted so nonchalantly. We're a very successful corporation, nationally recognized yet small in our operations.. if that makes sense. The shop is run by yours truly, my co-worker as well as my boss. My boss is obviously the brains of the outfit leaving myself as well as the other gentleman to do the grunt labor and at times, even thinking on our own. Freelance thought processes are frowned upon unless we somehow make believe that the boss somehow came up with the idea.

Anyway, before I ramble too much further, the Christmas dinner was to be held at Bay Harbor which is located on the Cedar Point peninsula. It is owned by Cedar Fair (the parent company of Cedar Point) which is a remarkably well run corporation. I had never been and was excited to experience.

My boss is as cheap as they come. While my wage is fair (not exceptional by any means), the benefits are questionable to say the least. We are, at times, abused physically. Overtimes is NEVER acceptable and we are required at times to stay late with no compensation. Perhaps "required" isn't the best term but rather we are expected to stay until the job is finished. With that said, I expected to dine at this exquisitely expensive restaurant and order a salad as anything else would be just too expensive.

Kristi and I arrived a few minutes early much to my chagrin. I had already had two Crown Royals on the rocks at home simply to tolerate the company involved with dinner. Yes, I drink and probably more than I should. I wouldn't say that I'm an alcoholic by any means as I can easily go days without a drink. However, I do like alcohol. So with that being said, I of course ordered The Glenlivet which is, at minimum, at 12 year old scotch. Scotch is like chocolate to me and is normally reserved for a special occasion such as said event. I figure it was at minimum a $15/per glass pure enjoyment for me.

Bay Harbor specializes in seafood. I took advantage of this and settled on the Blackened Grouper Oscar which is a filet of Grouper, blackened of course, drizzled in a bernaise sauce and topped with crab meat and fresh asparagus. Kristi ordered the New York strip; medium.

Now most of here on the board are well aware of the local seafood joints. We all have our personal favorites whether it be a buffet or simply a menu type place. The selection that I ordered at Bay Harbor exceeded any dish I've ever had in Myrtle Beach, Murrell's Inlet etc. Bar None. Kristi's steak was yet another slice of heaven on a plate. It arrived medium rare which is perfectly fine by the both of us. I was able to cut it with a fork.

I figure that for our party of 9, we exceeded $600 in total food and beverage purchases. In the end, I thanked myself, my co-workers as well as my boss as, if you really think about it, without any one of us, dinner would not have been possible. I seriously think my boss cried when he signed the bill.

The bottom line is that to those who also work for a cheap SOB like I do: I feel you. Hang in there and have as merry a Christmas as you can possibly have.

Post subject: Re: Company Christmas
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:57 pm 

Great post Phroggy you rocked them !!!!!! Merry Christmas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:04 pm 

phroggy wrote:

My boss is as cheap as they come. While my wage is fair (not exceptional by any means), the benefits are questionable to say the least. We are, at times, abused physically. Overtimes is NEVER acceptable and we are required at times to stay late with no compensation. Perhaps "required" isn't the best term but rather we are expected to stay until the job is finished.

The bottom line is that to those who also work for a cheap SOB like I do: I feel you. Hang in there and have as merry a Christmas as you can possibly have.

While I dont know your whole employment situation if you are not a salary exempt employee the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) may apply to the situation you mentioned. We have been to Cedar Point many many times over the last 30 years or more and always enjoy it . Have a great Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Phroggy, thanks for your post. I know you only through these posts, and I have come to appreciate your honesty and your sense of humor.

"I seriously think my boss cried when he signed the bill."
LOL! I'm sure that is an accurate assessment of the situation.

Phroggy, a very Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:41 pm 

Another great post. Glad you ventured over from the other board that you posted on for years. I always enjoy reading your stuff. Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:34 pm 

It is against the law NOT to pay you for your hours worked. I would look into it if I were you. Also, if you get a lunch, IF you are interrupted during your lunch time for a work related question the company is required to pay you for your lunch also if it is unpaid. Alot of people put up with the company treating ,them badly, afraid they will get fired if they report anything. The dept of labor will look into these things. Companies continue to do these things because nobody does anything.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:01 am 

That is correct Cathy unless Phroggy is a salary exempt employee then the FLSA would not apply. But it would not hurt to contact the closest office of the NRLB.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:13 am 

Hey, folks. I appreciate everyone's concerns for my work environment. While I'm well aware of the labor laws, I'm also stuck between a rock and a hard place. As I mentioned, I have no formal training to speak of. There are three total full time employees not counting the boss. If I were to "anonymously" contact the Dept. of Labor, where is that going to leave me? As much as anyone hates to admit it, we are ALL replaceable. Granted, it would be a mountainous task to replace young Phroggy, but in the end, it can be done. So, with that in mind, I continue to show up on a daily basis and earn my hourly pay.

My boss is a self centered (insert your own explative here). BUT, he pays me. Not much, but he does. I don't like him very much. In fact, I don't like the work very much. He takes advantage of EVERYONE. I do have one wild card up my sleeve and I'll use it if I have to. He knows perfectly well to not p*ss me off too badly. Young Proggy is a hell of a lot smarter than most people!

CHEERS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:54 am 

Until the last few years I never had a job where I sat in one place for entire shift or had somebody looking over my shoulder watching every move. Breaks came when and where I wanted. Seldom ever took a lunch break at mid day. More often than not I would take short breaks throughout the day that equaled more or less the half hour I was required to take. Many times I'd run hard all day without any breaks and then stop for break on the way back in. The sharper the pen you carried the more little things you could pencil into the log.

Never had a problem with the set up. Got the job done. Customers happy. Bosses happy. Pay check had a few extra hours and stop pay on it at end of week. Only times there would be a problem was when boss would say he needed better production numbers. I'd point out the corners I was cutting to get the numbers I was getting........."I never told you to do that......"

This was common throughout the system. Somebody somewhere sued and rules were changed. Now breaks are mandatory. Between 4th and 5th hours you had better have a break. Thanks to modern day electronic technology they can now track our every move. Truck sits too long and not logged to break or logged to break and truck moves....They have it on record.
In the last year the feds have jumped on the bandwagon. Mid shift breaks are now required and monitored. Can lose jobs and licenses if you cut corners. If you see more congestion at your local truck stop it's because of new federal laws

Funny thing about the whole deal is they are only concerned about the first four hours of the day. Four hours after lunch.....Approaching end of eight hour shift you get dispatched out for another two to three hours. 7-8 hours between mid day break and clocking out........Nobody seems to worry about a break after the second four hours.......

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Throughout the day I get several little short breaks. Waiting in line to hit a dock. Talking to billing clerk waiting for paperwork. It all works out in the end.

P.S.
Phroggy.....I've been working for over 40 years now. I can tell you.......Odds of you ever having a boss that has a clue.....Are slim and getting slimmer. I have no faith in the younger inexperienced managers and supervisors hired because they sat in a classroom for four years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:13 pm 

pop2748 wrote:

P.S.
Phroggy.....I've been working for over 40 years now. I can tell you.......Odds of you ever having a boss that has a clue.....Are slim and getting slimmer. I have no faith in the younger inexperienced managers and supervisors hired because they sat in a classroom for four years.

Pop you hit that nail on the head. I have worked at the same steel mill for the last 28 years when I got hired the company exclusively promoted managers from within. You hired hourly into the labor gang then you bid a department and you worked every job in the line of progression till you get the top job then you might become a step up foreman who filled in on breakup turns or vacations ,the shift foreman and if you did not retire general foreman. with that setup you had very knowlegeable managers who had been hourly people you grew up in the mill with and there was mutual trust. The company was bought out in 1999 by a half japanese company who purged all the old foremen and brought in fresh college grads who had never been in a mill before. They have no clue and even worse they will not take the advice of a 30 year hourly man because they learned in school not to trust us needless to say its been downhill ever since.

Last edited by myrtle beachcomber on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
They have no clue and even worse they will not take the advice of a 30 year hourly man becuase they learned in school not to trust us needless to say its been downhill ever since.

And when you corner them with facts or a question they can't answer......
"You're not seeing the big picture." or "You need to think outside the box".

I walked away from management conversation one day and headed down the dock.

"PawPaw....What are you looking for?"
'I'm lookin' for a box?"
"What for?"
"I was told to think outside a box."
Within minutes twenty guys were yelling about looking for a box and what they were going to think about when they found one.........

Boss never used the phrase again........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

:ac41[1]:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall