Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:42 pm 

We don't always stop but we have stopped before in Wytheville and even Winston Salem but this year my husband has mentioned stopping on the way down or way home somewhere we haven't been before and adding to our trip. It meant cutting our time in MB by a day. GASP! But I'm not the only person on this vacation so I'll cooperate.

It will only be for one night, I thought of Charleston but that puts us further from home and he wants it to be "on the way" :roll:
I thought of Asheville, NC, which isn't on the way but in the vicinity. Same for Gatlinburg but I will want to stay longer than a night and that's all I have.

We have friends that live in Wilmington, NC, so we could stay a night near the beach still, and head home the next day.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone found a neat overnight stop in NC, WV or VA? It doesn't even have to be directly on our same route, we can divert some.

~Kari~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:44 pm 

Kari. You may have answered this before but where in Ohio do you live? We live on the Ohio river in GAllipolis. Across from point pleasant wv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm 

Xenia, OH, straight down 35 from you, right before Dayton. :)

~Kari~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 pm 

We've stayed in Wytheville and Summersville W.Va.
This year on the way home we stayed at Sleep Inn in Summersville. 2nd floor is closed as it's under renovation. 1st floor got renovated last year. We have no complaints. Very firm beds and a good breakfast included. Hard boiled eggs, waffles, sausage patties, toast, bagels and cereal. Right off hwy 19 between #79 & # 77. 19 also shaves about 2 hours off travelling into and by Charleston. Halfway for us between Toronto and MB. Wytheville was 2 hours further south but we're not impressed with the hotels or the area.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm 

We always stop in Mooresville, NC. It's a 12 hour drive from MI and then we've only got 4 hours the next day so we get to MB around lunchtime.

If you have any interest in NASCAR, Mooresville is your mecca! lol Lots of race shops in that area. But otherwise, there is a lot of nice shopping plazas and restaurants, too. It's exit 36 in NC off 77. We stay at the Sleep Inn - it's pretty cheap and it's a really nicely maintained hotel! We've stayed there dozens of times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:38 am 

How about stopping off in Mt. Airy, NC?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 pm 

I'm guessing we're talking summer season.

Earlier you hit the road the better. Business as usual down I 77 to Beckley. Hang a big ol' left and run up RT 19 maybe 20 miles to Fayetteville, WV. Cross the New River Bridge. Maybe second road to the left will run you out to Adventures On The Gorge. Should get there by early afternoon if you leave early enough. Too late for rafting trip but other options to kill time and risk breaking some bones.

Shops and dining on the left and adventures over in lot to the right. Just behind the buildings is adventure park for the young and flexible. Obstacle course running through the trees maybe 20' off the ground. Ropes, ladders, nets and swinging planks to navigate through the course.

If not up for that or want more thrills. Two zip lines to chose from. Tree Tops is the more tame of the two. Ten runs through the trees working your way down the hill. Most are from tree to tree only walking on the ground a few times in between runs. Top speed maybe 30 mph. No self stopping brakes. You slow yourself with heavy glove on cable. If Ruann can do it anybody can. Last platform is 20' up in tree and you have to rappel down. Piece a cake.
Gravity is more extreme. Longer, higher and faster runs. But.....Only five of them. Co-worker has tried both and says Tree Tops is best bang for buck. Gravity you spend more time walking than you do zipping.

Should be late afternoon by time you're finished. Back out to RT 19 and head back south. Just before bridge is overlook/welcome center for the bridge over on the north bound side. Might kill an hour or so there. Long hike down series of steps to landings built on side of gorge for views of the bridge.
Time permitting. Instead of taking RT 19 south you can take little back road from welcome center. Not that hard to figure out but if interested I can give you better details. This little road will run you down into the gorge. Couple wide spots to pull off into for even better views the bridge. Actually run back and forth under bridge as you work your way down the side of mountain.
Across a small bridge across the river and back up the south side of gorge. At least one real nice waterfall to photograph.

Road brings you back up into Fayetteville. Just in time for dinner. Two of the more popular places. One is Dirty Ernie's Rib Pit. Our favorite. Wet cooked, melt in your mouth, sweet and spicy ribs......On over in town is Pies & Pints.. Pizza. Gets good reviews but we felt it was expensive for pizza.

Back out to RT 19 and head south. Some nice motels between Fayetteville and Oak Hill. Next morning you're looking at 7-8 hours to the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:04 pm 

This has tickled my interest, Pop. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:43 pm 

Here ya go Phrog. Tickle tickle........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jso0rD9-3Ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZaoIwsaz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzcLChdczd8