Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planning another trip!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

We said we were going to try somewhere different, however every time I try to look up new places to go, I end up looking at MB again! Even my husband is on board again! This time it will just be him and I, all alone :) It will be our 3rd anniversary and we are thinking about Mar 29-April 3rd. The 1st year we went we stayed at Compass Cove, too far south. This year we stayed in Cherry Grove, way too far north. This year, we want to stay closer to the boardwalk area. At least close enough to walk to some places. Would like around $100 or less a night, anyone have recommendations? I know most don't like that area, but we don't mind. Before we went with a private rental last year, we had a 2 bedroom at Atlantica picked out, but this year we don't need it to be that big.
We've got 5 months to plan, so I have time to find something :)

~Kari~

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 pm 

I wouldn't mind staying in that area that time of year. Would be nice not to have to get in a car and drive everyday. If I were going off season and without the kids i would like a night or two were we could walk to eat and then to entertainment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! The end of March/beginning of April should offer good weather. I love that time of year because it is truly the beginning of spring and sunny weather at the beach.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am 

Congratulations! We have stayed at the Patricia Grand many times and enjoyed it. The indoor pool is decent so that will be nice since it will be a little chilly when you go. They have done some nice remodeling in the recent years as well. The PG is near the North end of the main strip there though. We have also stayed in the Meridian Plaza which is a bit more South (closer to the boardwalk). The views are amazing from there, smaller indoor pool and no restaurant though. I would recommend both.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:40 pm 

Also check out the Caribbean Resort. It's at the end of "the strip", gets great reviews and not as crowded; the Sea Captains restaurant is next door.

The Boardwalk is walkable if you are fit.... :lol:

http://www.caribbeanresort.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 pm 

I've always wanted to stay at the Caribbean. The room we would get at the PG was facing it and it looks so nice. For the time of year we go, it was a little out of our pricerange for the type of room/view we wanted. One year hopefully though! I love that area probably the most.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 pm 

Thanks for the tips! We have decided to change our trip dates to May 6-11 since our son will be on his class trip and it will be warmer...BUT now the dates cut into Bike week. Just two days though...but still disappointing. I've only been to MB in March/April and late August. I was looking forward to a warmer, yet still not busy vacation. Decisions, decisions..

~Kari~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:25 pm 

That's a nice time to visit (like you said not as busy - which is REALLY nice). Tough decision b/c of bike week, I think one year we overlapped one day (last day of bike week) and it wasn't bad. I could see if being worse at the beginning though if that's when it overlaps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:03 pm 

It would be the first 2 days of bike week we would run into. I've also decided to stay somewhere other than the boardwalk area. I'm so indecisive lol. So on that note, what are the best hotels from the boardwalk north but not as far north as NMB. We don't really care about pools or water features, restaurants and entertainment close by is important. We will have a car but I just don't want to have to drive everywhere like when we stayed at CC or in Cherry Grove.

~Kari~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm 

The Carribean and the Patricia Grand are the last 2 high-rise resorts in that North section of MB Proper. There are a few scattered in between there and NMB I believe, but not many. That area is definintely more quiet than the Boardwalk area, but not in the middle of nowhere either. It's pretty much a straight shot to Broadway at the Beach down 29th from those two and also very convenient to restaurants. I believe someone mentioned it, but both are in walking distance of Sea Captain's - Oceanfron restaurant. You can see the Broadway at the Beach fireworks from the walkways at the PG which was really neat.

We have also stayed at the Meridian Plaza which is about 3 blocks South of those hotels. It doesn't have a restaurant or lots of pool immenities, so that could also be an option. The oceanfront views are AMAZING there. It's closer to the pier they shoot the fireworks off of so you also get a wonderful firwork show from your balcony - that was one of our favorite things there. It's also in walking distance to Bummz - Oceanfront restaurant. This is a smaller resort which is good and bad depending on what you are looking for.

What's nice about that general area (North end of "the strip") is that it's still in the heart of it all, but quieter and you are close to basically everything (MB proper and even NMB isn't far). Location wise, we believe the PG had the best loction for our needs.