Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:27 am 

One thing most of you don't know about me is that I am an avid fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I wear a Pirate's hat every day, and when I was at Myrtle Beach this past August, I had dozens of people stop and talk baseball with me.

I've been a Pirate fan for 47 years, and my greatest moment was when my Dad took me to game 5 of the 1979 World Series (I was 13). He is now 81 years old, and I don't think he's missed a game in his life! If you don't follow baseball, you may not know that the Pirates have not had a winning season since 1992. My son is also a huge Pirates fan, and having been born in 1994, he's never seen them have a winning season. Last night, the Pirates won their 82nd game of the season, thus ending the curse and guaranteeing a winning season.

There was a celebration late last night in the Bartlett house, and I thought I'd share it with you.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:35 am 

LOL..that is too funny. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 am 

I too am a huge pirates fan, also 47 years old and was happy that they won last night. I live 10 minutes from the best ballpark in america and my family loves going to games. However, there was no curse assoicated with this team. It was all self inflicted misery. They had the cheapest ownsership and most mismanaged front office running the show(mcclatchy era), and since the regime changes, things are looking up. Let's hope the wins keep coming and hopefully we are celebrating a championship this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:08 am 

Baseball is all about superstitions (curse of the Bambino, curse of the goat). This one was definitely the curse of Sid Bream!

Littlefield and company certainly were not Syd Thrift and company. So glad Coonely and Huntington were able to complete their plan with drafting young arms. Been proud to be a Pirate fan many times in my life, but winning 82 for my son may be the best of all.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:48 pm 

Nice celebration ! Being a fan of the NE Pats and Red Sox through some trying times, I can feel for your family - good on your Dad for staying so faithful.

Hopefully this is the start of a winning trend !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 pm 

I'm glad as well, being a life-long Pirates fan as well. The last Pirates game I made i to was the last game (actually a double-header) played at Forbes Field.

Every time I see someone wearing Pirates' apparel at a Myrtle Beach Pelicans game (I'm a season-ticket holder), I make sure to say "Go Bucs!" or something similar...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 pm 

Well, I'm not a Pirate fan but only because I don't watch baseball. Not a Steeler fan either only because I don't watch football. But I've been a fan of the Penguins ever since 1984 when I was sitting with Dad watching Lemieux score his first game, first shift, first goal on the little, oh, probably 11 inch black and white TV in the living room.

Prior to that though I was born in Pittsburgh and spend half my elementary school years in Pittsburgh. I was in the Dave Parker fan club, LOL. I think we went to every home game from the time I was 5 until 1980 when we moved north up to Butler. I was too young to be interested in watching sports, we just went to the games. I don't remember the World Series in 79. I do know that we watched it with my Dad's childhood friend who married a girl from Baltimore. She was way outnumbered.

I should pay attention to it more. Just don't have time in the summer for TV or watching sports. Hockey is my game of choice as my Dad was a HUGE hockey fan and my saddest memory is that he passed in March of 1991, just a few months shy of the Penguins winning their first Stanley Cup.

1991 - Time runs out... The Stanley Cup is coming to the city of Pittsburgh. The 1991 Stanley Cup Champions, The Pittsburgh Penguins. And at this moment, ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building.

1992 - ... The Penguins have won the Stanly Cup! Oh Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley, get me the brandy!

2009 - oh! Big save by Fleury - and it is. . . . that's it! The Pittsburgh Penguins have won this hockey game! The Penguins have won the Stanley Cup! And Lord Stanley, scratch their names on your fabled cup - the Pittsburgh Penguins are Stanley Cup champions 2009!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations, Scott! Love that picture! And kudos to your Dad!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 pm 

Yes, i remember 1992, my son was 10, he loves most sports and is so glad the Pirates are doing well.

My friend worked for the PIRATES in public relations. She stated she was working for them until they had a winning season. Now she has got another job :lol: ( the hours were way too many as she now has 2 small children) Go Bucs!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:11 pm 

My grandparents lived in Mckeesport, not far from Pittsburgh. We used to travel from New Jersey to visit each year when I was young. Back in 1955, at 5 years old I was a big Red Sox fan (still am), used to call Ted Williams "Uncle Ted" . Don't know why, no relation, but he was my favorite.
Anyway, my grandfather and mother took me to Forbes Field for a preseason game between the Red Sox and Pirates so I could see Ted. As luck would have it, Ted took the day off but I got a bunch of autographs on my program from both teams. Turns out one autograph, all by itself on a blank part of the page was Roberto Clemente! It was his rookie season. A few years back I had it certified. I could never sell it so I am going to pass it on to my first grandchild as a gift for his Christening later this month.
I still remember sitting on a glider on the porch with my grandfather listening to all the Pirate games. Though still an ardent Red Sox fan I always root for the Pirates. ( but never the Steelers as I am a Bengals fan ... yes there are a few of us out there that will admit it)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:07 pm 

When I followed baseball religiously in my teen years the Pirates were annual contenders. They are not my favorite team, but its nice to see a small market have success. I remember when the skinny Barry Bonds played for them :roll: .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 am 

Win #90 last night clinched a playoff birth. We couldn't be happier in our house!!

Scott