Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honest Opinions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 am 

Ok, I am fixing to click the button to order this

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-07203-Wate ... ge+carrier

because I know that we are not going to have enough room in our vehicle. It has great reviews, but other than that I am very sceptical. I can just see us like the Griswolds traveling to Myrtle Beach. I can also see my luggage all over the interstate. I would die :shock:

I know this topic has come up several times and I do apologize, but I would like your honest opinions. Would you use this if you were short on room? Also, for those of you who do use luggage carriers has it affected your gas milage?

Post subject: Re: Honest Opinions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 am 

We used a similar model on a Toyota Sienna with good results a few years back. Put all the suitcases/duffels in heavy-duty garbage bags before loading them in the carrier for extra rain protection. Also purchased four 4-foot bungee cords to criss-cross over the top as added support.

No problems with flapping or other insecure mounting and was negligible on gas mileage. Like the soft-sided carrier as it's so much easier to store when not in use.

Good Luck !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am 

I would use it. If you tie them down correctly, they are not going anywhere. We have used one for at least 8 years now and consider it one of the best purchases that we have made. We just purchased a new one to replace the Samsonite that they no longer make. I finally tightened a strap to hard a couple of years ago and stressed the fabric. Thing still works, but is not completely waterproof after my mishap. I like the soft carriers because you can just throw them in the closet when you get to MB. Not to mention that you will need little space to store at home. If not comfortable and afraid you may lose it off the car, throw a couple of extra tie downs up top. Sometimes we do this and other times I just tie it down and go on.

If you are concerned about room in the car, I wouldn't give a second thought about purchasing it. You know the trip home is going to have even more items added. I would rather lose a few mpg and be comfortable in the car.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a great price, too! Go for it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 am 

I would go for it Deanna. We have used the soft carriers many times and have been happy with them. We use extra strapping as well. The first time we had one we did a practice run on the interstate. We put it on top. Loaded some items in it and just drove for awhile to see how it did. It gave us practice on putting it on and taking it off. It was easy enough for my girls and I to do it ourselves when we travelled on girl only trips.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 am 

I ordered this same one a couple months ago......I will be able to tell you in a couple weeks how it worked. At Target we bought some ratchet straps also to use

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm 

I posted this earlier here.

I had bought this unit from REI:
http://www.rei.com/product/677675/sherp ... 5-roof-bag

On our way down to MB two years ago we hit the mother of all rain storms in WV. It lasted about 20 to 30 minutes and took my speed down to about 20mph, tons of accidents. I was worried about the stuff on the roof, but it was mostly beach stuff and a stroller. When we got to MB the next day, everything was DRY. It held up great and no water got into the bag. Just make sure you follow the directions when you install it and put the zipper on the back. Can beat the price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:02 pm 

Deanna, not sure if you ordered that cargo bag or not but it worked fine for us. We just got back late last night and didn't run into any real heavy rain. Going in to MB last Saturday it rained for quite a while but not downpours - everything was dry. Coming home we ran into a couple light showers and again everything was dry. We had done a trial run with it a couple months ago but put in empty suitcases - didn't think about once you have clothes in the suitcase is a little higher so the large suitcase wouldn't fit. ON the way down we had two carry ons (one was bigger than a carry on I think but son said no), duffel bag, two beach chairs and a couple beach towels. On the way home because I didn't want to get into it when we drop guys off in Columbus so we had one carry on, Vera Bradley extra large duffel bag, another VB weekender bag, three beach chairs, hubby's duffel bag, and a couple beach towels.

It worked great I thought.....the guys used a couple ratchet straps also because we don't have the cross bars. Not sure about gas mileage because I don't really care - we all wanted to ride together and we were going to the beach!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:39 pm 

Yes, I ordered the cargo bag and am glad to hear all the good reviews from our members. We pull out next Friday morning so I will be reporting how it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:31 pm 

I did purchase a highland or highlander , can't remember exactly. I had a samsonite that is no longer available that it replaced. One thing I have found that I liked better with the samsonite was that it unzipped on three sides instead of two. You wouldn't believe how much easier the three side zipper made it to load. It was a pain in the butt to load luggage underneath the top that did not fold all the way back. Would not have known the difference if I hadn't of had the other, but will be considered in any future purchases.