Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer reading
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

This topic usually comes up as people plan their beach trips. What have you read that you recommend (or don't recommend) ? Favorite authors? Let's hear from you.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. I still like the feel of real books in my hand but more often I'll use my iPad for both epub and audio books.

Here are some favorites. You can google for reviews.:

Anything by Joseph Finder. I've read all his books, and now I'm waiting, waiting, waiting for a new one. Come on, Finder, get crackin'. I'm not going to live forever.

Anything by Greg Iles. (I'm about finished with all his books, too.)

Nelson DeMille - currently reading The Panther. I've read them all and he never left me disappointed. My favorite - "The Charm School."

John Irving - in the last several months I read "A Widow for One Year" and "Until I Find You." It always takes me awhile to get into Irving's books. If I didn't know his writing style I would probably give up after 50+ pages. But after I finish, I remember them a long time. My 2 favorite Irving novels are "The World According to Garp" and "A Prayer for Owen Meany."

This year I also read Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants" and " Winter of the World." Everything he write is excellent.

I could go on and on, but I'll end this with a google search I did for the best books of 2012. "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller came up a couple times, so I downloaded it. I loved this little book. My only complaint? I was not ready for it to end.

So....let's hear yours!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject: Re: Summer reading
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 pm 

I am super excited -- FOUR of my favorite authors have new books coming out this summer!

Dorothea Benton Frank
Mary Alice Monroe
Mary Kay Andrews
Patti Callahan Henry

All are excellent authors who write about the low country, mostly set in Charleston and the surrounding islands. LOVE their stories!!

It was Mary Alice Monroe's "The Beach House" book that turned me on to sea turtles and wanting to be a turtle lady when I retire and move south :)

ETA: Not sure if anyone uses Pinterest, but here's a link to the books I've read this year (there is also a 2012 list if you go back to my boards and check, lots of beachy stuff, too!) http://pinterest.com/micountrygal/2013-reading-list/

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:55 pm 

Patrish, This isn't really new, but it was one of my favorites. I really LOVED Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. Amazing book.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 pm 

Well I am taking a class this summer so I guess my reading will consist of Biology 2010. That makes me sad :cry: :cry: Don't even ask why I am doing this....I think I have lost my mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm 

Also The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks was an AMAZING book as well. I feel like I should mention that I read the whole book in one sitting and bawled the entire second half of the book. It's such an amazing love story, but really emotional. Everyone says "Oh I hate sad books" but it was a good kind of sad if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:04 pm 

My class got cancelled today from lack of participation. I feel like a million pounds has been lifted off my shoulders. I can now lay on the couch all weekend (which I never get to do) and enjoy reading. I will be checking out some of the books mentioned above. I will also now get to enjoy reading on my vacation :nanner:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 pm 

A couple years ago at the beach, a lady at the pool recommended Sarah's Key - not usually my type of book but I loved it and I still think about it. I also like Mary Alice Monroe and Dorothea Benton Frank (except the last one).

I always take a couple books but tend to people watch more than read!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:42 am 

I just read a series by Emilie Richards called the "Happiness Key Series." It's about a bunch of women living down in the sunny warmth of Florida that have basically nothing in common but all come together through friendship. They were great!

I can't wait to read Dorthea Benton Franks new one. I have read and reread her books so many times! She is my favorite!

Micountrygirl I too want to be a "turtle lady" when we move down! Love Mary Alice Monroe's "Beach House" series as well!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:43 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
We visit the Flee Market down by the Myrtle beach State Park every other week. There is a nice man there, called Dan, and he is very knowledgeable about books. He receives a new batch every week, and sells paper back books at $2 each.
When you return books, he gives you a break on your next purchase.
He does not look like one who would know about books, which validates the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" :oops:

If you go to the Flee Market, I recommend that you pay him a visit.

When he noticed that I liked books about the beach, he introduced me to Dorothea Benton Frank, who is a delightful author. he also introduced me to the Mary Alice Monroe's "Beach House" series, Emmy.

Lately, I started a series about a small village called Mitford, written by Jan Karon. It is very funny, and has old fashioned values, which I just love.
I am currently reading "Table for Five" by Susan Wiggs. A real page turner.

Dan keeps telling me to tell my friends about him, so here I am. He is a war veteran and a really, really nice man.
His kiosk is next to the middle entrance doors. If you go see him, let him know that Chantal (the little lady with the French Canadian accent) recommended him. :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 am 

I have been reading a lot of books lately about South Carolina and it's history. I think I have read all of Dorothea Benton Frank and just finished a book called Low Country by Anne Rivers Siddons. I thought it was excellent.
It dealt with the Gullah culture which I knew very little about.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:59 am 

I have with me The Bourne Identity. I've been wanting to read it since seeing the movies but never did. My oldest daughter at 12 now watched the series and has her first celebrity crush on Matt Damon. She loves the movies and wanted the books so I got them for her for Christmas. She read most of book 1, but as she does, she reads about 3/4 of a book and moves on to something else. I brought it with me to read, but I don't know if I will. Last time we were here at the beach, I brought 2 books and never got past the first few pages. I'm in the water too much, I love it out in the ocean water.

The youngest is the reader of our family. She is 9 and she has read Beautiful Creatures. I don't know what that is about, but it is something like 800 or 900 pages. I find her up at all hours on the weekends during school reading and I think she read all 800 pages in a single weekend. She's amazing. She has 2 books of the series with her. I don't see a bookmark in it, but I know she read all day on the beach yesterday.

My wife reads a lot of christian authors. Most are girly books, but one of the authors is not as girly and I read some of them too. Those have a bit of the girly gushy parts, but are mostly a non-detective character detective style read.

I like either the detective or adventure stories. Clive Cussler was my favorite and I've read all of his Dirk Pitt adventures. Now that he's pretty much retired Dirk Pitt and the books have moved on to other characters, I don't enjoy those as much. Another one I read is the Alex Cross series (now the author eludes me) but I haven't seen the movie.

We are all avid readers in my house (and at the beach, except for me since no one can get me out of the water :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:06 pm 

After watching Safe Haven and knowing that I like the Notebook. I will be on the look out for Nicholas Sparks Novels as I have only read the Last Song. On and I scored a 2013 Disney travel book at a yard sale yesterday since hopefully in a year or two we will be headed there with my niece from Myrtle Beach as she never has been there and I have never been to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. So I am really excited to visit Disney world again.

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:46 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
FallintotheBeach2007 wrote:
After watching Safe Haven and knowing that I like the Notebook. I will be on the look out for Nicholas Sparks Novels as I have only read the Last Song.

I read Safe Haven a few months ago, and I really enjoyed it. I hope you do too! :cool:
I enjoyed every book written by Nicholas Spark so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 am 

I liked Safe Haven as well. He's a pretty good author.