Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trash
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:51 am 

I'm not exactly a "save-the-earth-greenpeace-wannabe" type person, but not much in this world drives me more nuts than trash or garbage in a place it doesn't belong. I've never been able to, but if I ever catch someone throwing something out their car window, I'll tune their hind end with my size 13's to the point they'd have to learn how to walk all over again. This country is gorgeous. Plain and simple. I'm sure y'all have noticed it at the beach too. Random flip flops, towels and other clothing accessories laying 20 feet from a garbage can at the beach. Really? It was just too hard to walk to the can and dispose of it? Cigarette butts. Need I say more? Have any of you caught anyone doing this irresponsible crap? What'd you do if you did?

Post subject: Re: Trash
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 am 

I have and I confronted them to the cheers of the people around me.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:36 am 
Site Admin

The MB area beaches have a lot of "clean the beach" days. It's all done by volunteers, so our visitors may not have heard about them. I've done this at MB State Park since that's "our" beach. The most common trash we see are the cigarette butts. If people MUST smoke, seems to me it would be easy to carry a beverage can.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 am 

patrish wrote:
The MB area beaches have a lot of "clean the beach" days. It's all done by volunteers, so our visitors may not have heard about them. I've done this at MB State Park since that's "our" beach. The most common trash we see are the cigarette butts. If people MUST smoke, seems to me it would be easy to carry a beverage can.

:ac41[1]: LOVE the pic Patrish!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm 

On another forum someone created a thread complaining about smokers and how disgusting it is that people throw their butts everywhere in utter disregard. It was amazing how it turned into a huge fight and how disrespectful the smokers became on that thread.

Not saying this is representative of any of you smokers. I was just shocked at how defensive and disrespectful they got on that particular forum (note, it was a guy forum, either from my RC hobby or about cars.)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:26 pm 

phroggy wrote:
I'm not exactly a "save-the-earth-greenpeace-wannabe" type person, but not much in this world drives me more nuts than trash or garbage in a place it doesn't belong. I've never been able to, but if I ever catch someone throwing something out their car window, I'll tune their hind end with my size 13's to the point they'd have to learn how to walk all over again. This country is gorgeous. Plain and simple. I'm sure y'all have noticed it at the beach too. Random flip flops, towels and other clothing accessories laying 20 feet from a garbage can at the beach. Really? It was just too hard to walk to the can and dispose of it? Cigarette butts. Need I say more? Have any of you caught anyone doing this irresponsible crap? What'd you do if you did?

Is it just me or does the problem seem to be getting worse? I do a few things on the side for a little mb vacation money. One thing I do is mow a small business that has a fairly busy two lane road in front of it. No major highway or nothing, but is located within close vicinity of fast food restaurants. Been mowing this lot for years now and one thing I've noticed is the trash that ends up in the lot is getting worse. Bad thing is that almost all these fast food places have trash cans located at end of drive thru. I persoanlly use these cans to rid my car of any garbage laying around and why others don't is beyond me? Is that piece of trash in their way so much that there is no way they could make it to the house before getting rid of it?

I remember littering being a big deal when I went to school and a big push was made telling us not to do it. When I asked my kids if it was ever mentioned at their school, they said no.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Many, many people on this board have met each other personally. If someone starts slamming people - for whatever reason - it would be noticed and commented on by the regulars. I'm sure I would have a PM in about 30 seconds. (Love you guys!) And that's a good thing. We don't have people hiding behind a cloak of anonymity, and I like that a lot.

Which reminds me, there are several of you regulars we still haven't met...and you know who you are. Would love to meet you before we are whisked off to the the Old Folks Home one day where I'll be sitting in a rocker, drooling on my keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:15 pm 

patrish wrote:
Which reminds me, there are several of you regulars we still haven't met...and you know who you are. Would love to meet you before we are whisked off the the Old Folks Home one day where I'll be sitting in a rocker, drooling on my keyboard.

Well tell them that June 19th would be the perfect time to meet!

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=14248

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:51 pm 

People that throw trash out their window know better. It is one of my pet peeves. One thing I have learned as I have gotten older is that I cannot change the world. I can influence children to do the right thing and throw their trash in the proper receptacle but I cannot change the attitude of an adult. Lots of times I want to say something to them like "I think you dropped something" but my common sense takes over. In this crazy world you to need to be careful whom you approach. We live in Pigeon Forge which is like Myrtle Beach with regard to tourism. Our roads are littered with trash. Parking lots (even with trash cans available) are littered with trash. The cigarrette butt thing is another thing that puzzles me. I have know smokers who are against littering but do not see anything wrong with discarding the butts on the road, etc. Someone please explain this logic to me. Wow, I feel better now that I have vented.
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Admin

"...but my common sense takes over. In this crazy world you to need to be careful..."

Judy, I agree with everything you said including the quote above. If you're not setting out to win the war, don't start the battle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:59 am 

Patrish, glad I am not alone in these thoughts. It must be an age thing (lol). Be assured a person or animal being hurt I would confront someone immediatedly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:08 pm 
Forum Support

patrish wrote:

Which reminds me, there are several of you regulars we still haven't met...and you know who you are. Would love to meet you before we are whisked off to the the Old Folks Home one day where I'll be sitting in a rocker, drooling on my keyboard.

:oops: I feel this is directed at me. Sorry Patrish. Would love to meet you but if not this year, I am sure next! We have to come back to the best beach eventually! :hello:

Quote:
If you're not setting out to win the war, don't start the battle.

Very true!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, it's not directed at you, Melissa. I know where you live, and I know you always do your best to get to the beach. You have a big family and it's tough to make plans of your own. I have no doubt I'll get to meet you when you work out dates, which is why I stopped bugging you! :clown:

BTW, have you done anything different to the board? I've seen messages that say "new post" right in front of a message. I guess this could be a browser thing because I'm trying to wean myself off Firefox and start using Google Chrome more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:42 pm 
Forum Support

Quote:
Patrish, glad I am not alone in these thoughts. It must be an age thing (lol)

Might not be so much of the age, but also how you were brought up. The people who where around you when you were growing up. It drives my younger brother nuts how people act these days, but he needs to just let it go. He won't win the war and it makes him miserable.

I'll use church as a example. I went every Sunday. Sat in the pew, was quiet, didn't leave the pew and followed along the best I could. I didn't run out to the bubbler, go to the bathroom 2 times, need a activity bag to keep quiet and you didn't see me rolling around on the floor!

Times have changed. I'm worried about what things will be like in 5 or 10 years. :ohnoes:

Quote:
I have no doubt I'll get to meet you when you work out dates, which is why I stopped bugging you!

:clown: I never felt like you were bugging me, I felt loved. This board keeps me spirts up, that I keep "fighting" to get back to Myrtle Beach. I do feel guilty we haven't met yet and it seems weird we haven't. Just because of how friendly we are! Too bad I didn't win the lottery, I was going to buy a condo in MB with my winnings! :beerchug:

Quote:
BTW, have you done anything different to the board?

No, but I have noticed the same thing sometimes. Not sure if firefox is having a hard time with the script or perhaps the page is taking too long to load?

I need to start to use chrome more. The google I page is going away in November and I haven't found something with firefox to replace it with. :BandHead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm 

When we were kids and my Dad would take us boys fishing,he would not only have us clean our mess,but he'd also have us pick up garbage that was left behind by others.He would say "this is a gorgeous planet and its up to us to keep it that way.If everyone did what we just did,there'd be alot less trash in the world".Then he would smile and say "the only trash would be the people littering".A little harsh,but there were certain things my Dad had no patience for.
I have gladly taught Jordan the same thing.