Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:57 pm 

There are tons of things to do for those few hours. Be adventurous! Most places are not busy on check in day until late afternoon. I know that when most people hit the MB area the first thing they want to do is check in and unpack. We haven't don't that in years. We always have several hours to kill before our room is ready. I normally don't care what we do because I am just excited to be on vacation.

This year we are leaving Columbia earlier than usual because the girls want to hit Tanger on 501 (jewelry shopping at QVC outlet) and the guys are going to Martin's golf. Then we are all meeting up at Margaritaville for lunch. If there is any time left before check in we will enjoy Broadway.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 pm 

mrodgers wrote:
Dagnabbit, now a lot of you folks have me thinking of leaving work at a half day and driving 8 hours and stopping somewhere on Thursday. My only worry would be the room not being ready for hours. Then again, I guess we could just travel the couple hours left with the swimsuits on and wait for the room sitting on the beach. Might have to seek out a cheap hotel somewhere 3-4 hours away.

Need to decide soon, only 14 days to go!

Depends on how many hours you have to kill when arriving in MB. We used to leave at midnight and arrive at 7 or 8 a.m. We loved not having to deal with any traffic, but hated trying to kill 7 hours to make it to the room. Way too many hours to kill waiting on a room after being in a car that long. Since we started timing our arrival around lunch time it's not been near as bad. By the time we eat lunch, walk around BATB a couple of time, and go get groceries, it's just about time to check-in.

We did stop half way one year in Columbia. Thought we would sleep in and get a little rest and make the three hour trip on to MB. Just so happens, that year we ran into multiple wrecks and lots of traffic jams. Took us 6 hours to get to the beach, while it usually only takes 7 hours driving from home. I think our mistake that year was not planning to arrive in MB until closer to check-in time. If you do decide to make it a two day trip, I would just make sure to arrive in MB before noon.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:54 pm 

We always arrive before noon and never take 501. Not once have we run into traffic problems. This year we will be coming in on 501 so we can hit the 501 outlet, but we plan to be there at 10 A.M. when they open and then take a quick 501 ride to Carolina Bays Pky (Hwy 31) to Broadway. We are praying this is not a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:10 pm 

as long as you're off 501 before noon you should be ok

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
Forum Support

mrodgers wrote:
Dagnabbit, now a lot of you folks have me thinking of leaving work at a half day and driving 8 hours and stopping somewhere on Thursday. My only worry would be the room not being ready for hours. Then again, I guess we could just travel the couple hours left with the swimsuits on and wait for the room sitting on the beach. Might have to seek out a cheap hotel somewhere 3-4 hours away.

Need to decide soon, only 14 days to go!

Perhaps take a look at a Hotel Coupon book (or the website) for a good price on a room?

http://hotelcoupons.com/hotels/south-carolina/

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 pm 

phroggy wrote:
as long as you're off 501 before noon you should be ok

I agree with phroggy. I still wouldn't want to be any where near 501 after 2 o'clock. I never take 501 in. Just don't want to even chance it. Would rather go 10 miles out of my way on 22 and play it safe.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:02 am 

Up until a few years ago we would always leave between 3 - 4 AM and would always stop at a Shoneys for their breakfast buffet. I would pack sandwiches, fruit etc and stop at a rest area for lunch and let the guys use up some energy. Now that they are adults with full time jobs, we never know when we will leave - anytime between 3 - 6 PM. The last couple trips I've made reservations in Greensboro which we get to around 11 PM. The next morning it is a 3 hour drive to the beach. Most of the time, we change into suits and lay around pool until we can check in but this year since our DIL has never been there - I think we will drive around and show her what we love about Myrtle Beach!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 pm 

It's about 16-17 hours from here, so we make it a 2 day trip - I do all the driving and 12 hours in a day is enough!

We leave my house at 9am and make our first stop at Conlee's in Birch Run, MI. It's tradition - always stop there to top off the gas, use bathrooms and load up on road snacks! Mt. Dew, Twizzlers and Cheez-its...lol Then we're good until the 2nd travel plaza in Ohio on the 80/90 - where we stop for gas and lunch at Einstein Bros.

After that its straight on through until Wytheville, VA - were we make a gas stop and hit Sonic for a cherry limeade. And then finish the night's drive into Mooresville, NC where we stay at the Sleep Inn, usually get there around 10pm.

Then the next morning we have breakfast at Cracker Barrel with my friends in the area before heading out about 11-noonish for the last 4 hours to MB. We get into MB just in time to check in and get a few hours at the pool/beach before heading up to the condo to order in Ultimate California Pizza for dinner on the balcony!