Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 pm 

Heres some more fun for discussing for us long distancers.

I was on the Disboards whike planning our first travel as a family to Disney. In the transpotation sub forum, there was a thread specifically fir the 2000 mile folks (round trip) which is what I was driving 1090 miles down. That might be long distance for a ride to Florida, but being a bit higher up the coast, I'd say my travel of 12+ hours would be where I would consider long distance heading to Myrtle Beach.

So, here are some questions to answer....

1. Straight through? About 14 hours is what I would go for before I had to think about stopping for the night. I figure why stop for a 12-14 hour trip? We leave in the wee hours of the morning and are looking and listening to the waves by dinner. I use to work 12 hour shifts, what is driving for 12 hours to get somewhere I really want to be at? How about you? Do you get down to business and get there or do you wimp out and have to stop? :D

2. What do you do for eating? Are you traveling during breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Do you have to stop and take a break? Do you you have to sit down in a restaurant taking precious travel time? Just grab a quick bite? Are you yelling back to the kids to reach back and grab you a turkey sandwich out of the cooler while barreling down the road at 80 mph?

Like I said, we leave early, between 3 and 4 am. We definitely like to stop somewhere nice for a good breakfast. We don't ever go out for breakfast and I wolf down a bowl of Cheerios every morning before leaving for work, so it is very vacation like to stop somewhere for a good breakfast.

Lunch is a different matter. We made the mistake last time with stopping somewhere. I think I'd rather just grab something fast, maybe take a 20 minute stretch at Wendy's or something. Stopping at a "real" restaurant can easily add an hour on the trip. I'd rather just get to the beach at 5 pm rather than the 6 pm last time. Lunch brought us very slightly off course hunting for BBQ and we were disappointed with it anyways. An extra hour earlier at the beach would have been much better. How about you?

So, let us know. How long do you drive before stopping and how short of a drive do you leave for day 2?

How do you eat on the travel and what do you generally eat? A meal? Fast food? Burger but better quality in a restaurant?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:43 pm 

I don't have a 12 hour trip to the beach, but it is a 10 to 11 hour trip to Orlando. My preference is to drive straight through. Kids always end up sleeping so much in the car that any half way stay turns into us struggling to get wild/rested kids down at night. Kind of defeats the purpose of stopping half way to make the trip easier. I would much rather leave during the night and let them sleep and benefit from the roads being nearly empty for the first six or eight hours of driving. People underestimate the fatigue factor caused by driving in heavy traffic. If you can stay awake and drive safely night time driving is the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:33 am 

I've done the trip both straight through as well as stopping for the night. There are many factors to what leads us to either decision.

If we're not staying for an entire week, like a five night stay at the beach, then I prefer to drive straight through. I don't trust too many people behind the wheel of the vehicle I'm in so I prefer to drive as much as possible. The problem is that when we do the straight drive, we leave at about 10 or 11 PM after I TRY to get a couple hour nap in. I'm usually good to drive until the sun starts to come up. At that point, I'm a hazard on the road. But, at least I know it. So now here it is, 6AM and I can't drive anymore. So I'm forced to let my fiancee' drive and she scares the living hell out of me. I can't sleep with her behind the wheel so I have to try to "rest" for an hour or two while I'm white-knuckling it in the passenger seat. When we finally get to the beach at noon, I'm just beyond exhausted. So tired that I can't even sleep. Irritable beyond your wildest imagination. Day number one on vacation is a total bust. EVERY TIME.

So breaking it up into two days is a very welcome amenity for me. Kill most of the drive the first day, like 8 or 9 hours if possible. This year, we're stopping in Archdale, NC at a cheap Days Inn ($52). We'll head out around 7 the next morning and be in Myrtle before 11 beating all the traffic and hopefully sipping cocktails before noon. Day number one on vacation is a total winner.

Stopping for extended periods is a big no-no for me. Gas and a quick fast food (which I hate) refuel are the only long stops I prefer. Potty breaks need to be less than 10 minutes. I have places to be and beer to drink. Gotta get there.

One interesting side note that may surprise people is that I never pack the vehicle. I let my fiancee' do it. As long as I have my wallet, sunglasses and boogie board, I don't need anything else.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am 

phroggy wrote:
One interesting side note that may surprise people is that I never pack the vehicle. I let my fiancee' do it. As long as I have my wallet, sunglasses and boogie board, I don't need anything else.

Ha! Pack the car? Pack the bags? I end up repacking everything. My wife is horribly organized. I got home from work ready to pack and get set up for our first trip, to Disney. She's already got everything packed! Awesome! How are we going to get everything in the car?

She had a separate suitcase for everyone. The largest suitcase was full of food, food for the drive! We were also taking a large cooler full of 2 frozen cases of water (no fridge.) Another suitcase full of swim stuff, suitcase full of girly bathroom stuff (and a stick of deodorant for me) and yet another 2 light bags to carry into our over night stay (remember, I want to get there, but that was a 19 hour trip,) 1 for us and 1 for the kids.

That's 9 suitcases and a large cooler! Everyone also wants their own 2 pillows. I had my work laptop to take and a camera bag that contained all camera batteries and chargers for the various electronic devices (not many at this point of our lives, 1 cell phone, 1 camera, and each kid had a Nintendo DS.) I shook my head and unpacked everything. I refolded and filled the largest suitcase with our clothes along with a lot of the girly toiletries and makeup she had. I refolded the kids' clothes and put that in a single smaller suitcase. I put most of the food packed around the frozen water in the cooler since it was mostly breakfast stuff for the resort. The car food was now in a grocery store bag. I repacked and combined the 2 overnight bags into 1. The swimming stuff was split up and added to the adult suitcase and the kids' suitcase.

I reduced 9 suitcases and a cooler full of water down to 3 suitcases, a cooler of food and water, and a grocery store bag with some in-car snacks. Now I have a ton of room left over for the extra stuff of the laptop, camera, and pillows. The pillows went 3 each into one of those vacuum seal space saver bags and reduced 3 pillows down to slightly smaller than a single pillow unpacked. The kids each kept 1 pillow out for use in the car.

She knows now to just lay everything out and I will pack up the bags. She lays it all out on the bed and when I get home from work, I pack the bags and stick them in the car in the evening for a 3 am departure. The only thing I have to do in the AM is to gather the pillows, stuff them in the space saver bags and go.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm 

I guess i'm a wimp. =)

We have about a 10 hour drive. I've been splitting the trip for as long as i've been able to drive myself to MB. Is it because I can't handle being in the car that long? Nope. It's becasue we get really excited and want to get going! We drive the whole way back in one day.

The last 2 years we've gone, my step sister and her boyfriend leave at midnight and drive the whole way, while the rest of our family stops and stays somewhere. They always get to the beach tired, cranky and usually SICK (and the same time as we do). My body doesn't like when I change up like that and stay up all night. I'd rather get to the beach well rested and not a grumpy ol' bear.

Also, with the exception of this year, my parents are already there, so if we get to MB at 10am, it doesn't matter. We have a room to crash in until our room is ready.

I love doing it this way, and doubt i'll ever change it! =]

As far as eating on the way down? Last year my fiance and I left town about 5pm. We didn't stop the car at all until we needed gas. I'm pretty sure we didn't eat dinner until we were in North Carolina and it was at a Taco bell. We like to in somewhere we can sit for a few minutes, but we don't want to wait long for the food. We like to stretch our legs but get back on the road asap.

In the morning we always stop at Bojangles and get coffee and food. We don't stop again until South of the border, where we get gas and go to the bathroom. From there we are in the home stretch! (last 2 hours).

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 pm 

I love the trip down as much as anything. My vacation unofficially starts when the packing and house chores get started around the week before departure. The official beginning and fun starts the minute we leave the driveway. Don't care for the trip back as much, but the trip down is great. Departure time and stops are usually planned out. I always make sure the vehicle is fueled up the evening before, so we can make it to Columbia if the kids stay asleep. My goal is to at least make it to Spartanburg before the wife has to pee (usually can't make it past North Carolina welcome center though). I always like to fill the tank before leaving town and not make any unnecessary stops if we don't have to. We dont usually leave the same time as my parents, but when we do it kills me that my dad has to make a stop 30 minutes into the trip to save 10 cents on a gallon of gas. Is it really worth $2 to kill 15 minutes during the first 30 minutes of trip? We are about 7.5 hours away leaving 4 am. Coming home is 7 hours leaving at midnight and making one gas stop. I would prefer to leave earlier and miss some traffic, but to much dead time between arrival and check-in.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:39 pm 

We used to make the trip in 12 hours, but with the kids it can be alot longer. We always do the trip down in one night, leaving around midnight. Last year hubby drove the whole way and (as Phroggy mentioned above) was a complete wreck and totally useless when we made it to the room at 1:00 the first day. We talked about stopping on the way down this year, but boarding our 2 dogs is costing us a small fortune so we will probably drive straight through. I love the drive down, we usually pack Friday afternoon, whoever is driving first will try to get some sleep. Hubby used to load trucks for a living, so he insists on loading everything. I pack for me and the kids and he packs for himself. Ladies, this man packs more stuff than I do. I mean, he has a different pair of shoes for every outfit, so I tease him mercilessly about the HUGE suitcase he packs compared to mine and the kids'. As far as eating, we usually pack some snacks and drinks for the ride, we will stop for breakfast around sunrise, and we run through drive thru somewhere for lunch. We make a ton of pee stops (kids are 5 and 6) and to stretch our legs. First few years the boys slept most of the trip, but last year they didn't crash until well after breakfast.
Anyway, we made the final payment for our condo rental lastnight and made reservations for the 4 legged kids so now I feel like planning can kick into full gear!!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm 

We drive straight through leaving between midnight and 2 am, with 2 sometimes 3 cars. We stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, somewhere fast for lunch (if we haven't made it there already) and usually order Papa Johns for dinner. Our drive is about 10-12 hours from Frackville Pa.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:59 pm 

peanut18 wrote:
We used to make the trip in 12 hours, but with the kids it can be alot longer!!

12 hours or longer from Cincy leaving at midnight? You must be taking a lot of pee stops :shock: . I would think 11 hours at the most. What route are you taking?

I don't blame you for not wanting to board two dogs an extra night. Kennels sticking them in a cage costs more than a hotel.

budwash435 wrote:
We drive straight through leaving between midnight and 2 am, with 2 sometimes 3 cars. We stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, somewhere fast for lunch (if we haven't made it there already) and usually order Papa Johns for dinner. Our drive is about 10-12 hours from Frackville Pa.

We used to have a lot of fun leaving in middle of night in a group of four or five cars. I miss those days. Made the drives easier.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:49 pm 

Been to Myrtle beach since 1998 and left our home at different times. We have a 12 to 13 hr drive. We left at 6 pm after work, and drove 6 hrs and stopped at a motel overnight and left the next morning at 7 am for the beach. We're both usually too tired to do this as we're already up since 6 am , worked all day then drive another 6 hrs.to a motel.

Also left at 5 am and arrived there between 5 and 6 pm. Too exhausted. I don't want to do anything once I get there except sit on the balcony and some years we didn't go anywhere that night, even groceries were put on hold till the next morning.

We both agree now we are leaving at 8 am and driving 8 or 9 hrs to Cornelius, NC and stay overnight. We'll have supper in Cornelius. Leave the next day for Myrtle Beach about 8 am and have a 3 or 4 hr drive. I feel rested.
We've done it before.

We've also left at midnight and drove straight thru.

Getting older I guess makes a difference. The drive straight thru years ago was no big deal. Sometimes we stop at a rest area and walk around but no more than 15 minutes, and the others mostly for gas. Had to laugh reading someones post about the gas prices. My brother is the same way. Wants to get the gas where it's the cheapest even if he goes out of his way. When I need gas I get it. Never know when you may be caught at a stop in construction.

We usually take sugar free drinks,and crackers in our car,and fruit. Get the other things at the beach.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:33 pm 

We are like most others on the board in that we don't like to spend our first hours at the beach exhausted. It is almost like a half day wasted if you can't enjoy it. I want to be rested and ready to go. We only have an 8 hour drive so we take off on Friday morning and drive 5 hours to Columbia. We then check in for our overnight stay and rest up before our evening out for dinner and sometimes a movie. We are up bright and early the next morning leaving no later than 9 A.M. for our 3 hour drive to the beach. We have been doing this for years. It works great for us and as far as I am concerned the longer I can drag out my vacation the better.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:51 pm 

Deanna wrote:
We are like most others on the board in that we don't like to spend our first hours at the beach exhausted. It is almost like a half day wasted if you can't enjoy it. I want to be rested and ready to go. We only have an 8 hour drive so we take off on Friday morning and drive 5 hours to Columbia. We then check in for our overnight stay and rest up before our evening out for dinner and sometimes a movie. We are up bright and early the next morning leaving no later than 9 A.M. for our 3 hour drive to the beach. We have been doing this for years. It works great for us and as far as I am concerned the longer I can drag out my vacation the better.

I agree Deanna. I think I love staying somewhere on the way to MB because i'm already on vacation and it's exciting! It feels so exciting to be out of town, and on vacation. I always look forward to leaving the night before we check in. Like you said, It's nice getting there refreshed and not wanting to do anything!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:20 pm 

doesn't matter when we leave, it is a 13-14 hour drive. Only once did we make it in 12. We have driven straight through and also stayed in hotel part way. We now just do the drive. Simply dont need to stop to sleep when we are this excited to be there. We pack the car with sandwiches and fruit and water to get us through and only stop for gas and to .... you get the idea. We share the driving between the 2 of us and usually leave at 4AM. By the time we get there, its not beach time so we hit the boardwalk, call friends, grocery shop and make plans for the next day. Bedtime around 9 or 10 and up early to hit the beach. Great way to spend a vacation. So soon :cheerleader:

Diane

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:57 pm 

ScarletBegonias wrote:
Deanna wrote:

I agree Deanna. I think I love staying somewhere on the way to MB because i'm already on vacation and it's exciting! It feels so exciting to be out of town, and on vacation. I always look forward to leaving the night before we check in. Like you said, It's nice getting there refreshed and not wanting to do anything!

When the kids all get older we may go back to a two day trip. It does start the vacation a day early. :notworthy: I just don't think I could take 7 waking hours of the little one riding in a car. She sleeps the first four or five hours with the 4am leave. Like I said earlier, the other side of that is the kids fall asleep heading down for the halfway stop, and don't want to go to bed. Makes for a loud night for the people staying in the adjoining room.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm 

Dagnabbit, now a lot of you folks have me thinking of leaving work at a half day and driving 8 hours and stopping somewhere on Thursday. My only worry would be the room not being ready for hours. Then again, I guess we could just travel the couple hours left with the swimsuits on and wait for the room sitting on the beach. Might have to seek out a cheap hotel somewhere 3-4 hours away.

Need to decide soon, only 14 days to go!