Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 pm 

We always see a big roller skate on 17 going from winchester to fredricksburd is it the same one?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 pm 

we see the big roller skate every year as well. it is outside of fredricksburg.

traveling 95 thru north carolina is the most boring stretch of road. 180 miles of trees. The one saving grace for me as a kid was the south of the border signs, there are less of them now but my kids look forward to them nowadays as well.

one of my favorites is the one that says "hey kid, keep yelling they'll stop!"

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 pm 

You two above come a different way than I do. I head down 79 and through WV to 77. I was trying to remember a big roller skate. I couldn't because it is over in Maryland, no where near where I'm driving down. I'm coming from just a few miles east of myrtle beachcomer's ol' Slimey Pebble area :mrgreen:

That reminds me, I still have to get to the Brewery for some ribs. Are the ribs there as good as I've been told, myrtle beachcomer?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:47 pm 

The roller skate ScarlettBegonias is referring to is on 17 in Virginia. We go 81 to Winchester, then 66 to 17 to 95 in Fredericksburg.
Angela

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 pm 

Same one

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:05 pm 

Oh yeah! I forgot to add that! We LOVE looking for the signs for South of The Border. Last year, my fiance tried to get a picture of each one of them. I told him there used to be WAYYY more but the hurricane took them down and they never put 'em back. It's always fun when you start seeing them!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm 

During the construction years on the Greensboro-Rockingham route we ran down through Ridgeway, SC. There was an old house in the middle of town we fell in love with. Seeing that house was always a big part of the drive to the beach. One of the few occasions I could wake her up from a nap to look at something and not get yelled at.
House looked like something from Civil War era but doing some research it was built early 1900's. Some sort of railroad big wig. Supposed to be haunted. Wife and child killed across street by train and story is at night you can see him looking out window at tracks. We drove through there many times at night and always looked for him.

phroggy wrote:

2. How many freakin signs are there for Tamarack in West Virginia???????

Tamarack is a permanent arts and crafts fair in a fancy building with very high prices. I don't think it's turned a profit since they built it. More signs they put out, the more suckers they can pull in. Rumor is it's one of the reasons they haven't removed the tolls off the Turnpike. The tolls are paying for Tamarack. Someday if you have time stop and give it a look at. Probably won't buy anything but good way to stretch your legs.

Ditto to your list of things we see on the trip. One other thing I like is the cloth awning store a little ways east of Rockingham on RT 74. The front of the store is one long awning of every color and design fabric they have. For some reason seeing all the bright colors flapping in the breeze tells me I'm getting close to the coast.

mrodgers wrote:

Conversely, on the way home, West Virginia is at the tail end of the trip. If you have never driven I-79 and the West Virginia turnpike, let me tell you, it is exhausting. You drive for hours never having the steering wheel straight. It is non-stop back and forth up the mountains, down the mountains for several hours. It's fine on the way down, exhausting after 8 or so hours of already driving on the way home.

Funny how you get used to things. I drive those roads and don't even realize I'm moving the steering wheel. On the other hand when driving in other states with long straight flat roads I get tired quicker.
Your description reminds me of a day in the 80's I took oldest son with me on a delivery to a "can't get there from here" coal town. (Panther, WV) Crossing a mountain on a narrow road not much wider than the truck it was 2-3 turns to the left, straighten it out and then 2-3 turns to the right, repeat, repeat, repeat.........
Half way up the mountain I screamed real loud while releasing the steering wheel. Slid my hand around in a circle as fast as I could. Son was reaching for door handle thinking steering had gone out.....

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 am 

pop2748 wrote:
One of the few occasions I could wake her up from a nap to look at something and not get yelled at.

At least you let your wife sleep!! Paul likes me to be awake with him so we can "enjoy" the trip together...Yeah right! Basically he has to be awake so I have to be awake. But I guess driving 12 hours straight while someone next to you is all curled up dreaming could be a bit daunting :tongue3:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 am 

I'd love nothing more than for everyone in the vehicle to go to sleep. Let me do my driving in peace. I mean, I already have to spend every waking hour for an entire week with these people. So at least let me have the 24 hours there and back in MY own little world.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:08 am 

phroggy wrote:
I mean, I already have to spend every waking hour for an entire week with these people. So at least let me have the 24 hours there and back in MY own little world.

LOL :hysterical: Aren't "these people" your family???

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:32 am 

Yeah they're my family. But let me ask you this: Who is the most skilled at getting under your skin?

FAMILY!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 am 

A giant roller skate is something I would look forward to seeing, too. It's nice to have those landmarks along the way to break up the looong sit in the car!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 am 

Last year was the first in 20 years that we spent the night in Florence on our way to Myrtle Beach. We now take a less crowded route, but I had Marriott points and got a room for free in Florence.

Anyway, I had forgotten about all you can see once you get to Florence, and the road is literally covered with billboards promoting Myrtle Beach resorts, attractions, and restaurants. Miles and miles of billboards to get you excited about almost being there! That was fun.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am 

Another something to look forward to, but on the way home. So far, we've done 3 vacations since creating this family. Disneyworld and Myrtle Beach followed the same route down to just in North Carolina. On the way home as we hit PA finally on I-79, with both the Disney and MB trip, we caught a double rainbow in the hills right before the PA welcome center. Waiting to see this time on the way home if we catch a double rainbow again.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:16 pm 

We too often look for the large roller skate on the way down, same goes for the large cigarette.

A lot of our traditions have changed over the years. When I was younger we would all take a van down and I would try to make seating arrangements for everyone since we had pre planned stops throughout the trip. We used to always leave a day early and drive down like some of you said, and stop halfway. Our stops were usually either at Selma, Virginia, or the Super8 near the Smithfield Outlets in NC. We stopped doing that close to 10 years ago already and decided it was not oringinally worth what we thought it was. We then started going down for 3 extra days total and driving straight through.

Regardless of what time we leave, out first tradition is stopping at the first rest stop coming into Virginia, followed by a Cracker Barell stop for breakfast not too long after. It seems like our routes have been changing time and time again every year so we don't have any solid traditions anymore. I personally like to look for historical signs on the roads, pointing out Civil War battlefields and what not.

Of course we all look for South of the Boarder sings, although we haven't stopped their in over 15 years I'd say. I also enjoy knowing we are getting closer when you start to see signed advertising Myrtle Beach. Btw, driving on 95 through NC is the absolute most boring part of the trip lolz.