Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:30 pm 

My favorite part about our drive from Ohio is stopping at the Pizza Hut in Dillon, SC, for lunch. There is a waitress there that is the most precious lady!! She watches for us (we go about the same week each June). When she sees our grandkids walk through the door, she will say "there's my babies!" Last year, the kids wanted to play the skill game with the giant claw that tries to snag prizes; we didn't have any change, so she got into her pocket and gave them her tip money so they could play. She always hugs us goodbye and says "til next time" in her best southern accent. She's a very gracious lady indeed! :angel7:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

And how many signs are there for JR's Tabacco outlet?? I thinkt that's what it's called! There are hundreds of them!

This is really making me excited! I enjoy the trip down to the beach just as much! You are so happy and relaxed. You have NO where to be. Looking forward to a week of no alarms, minimal cell phone use, and being with my favorite people in the world. I am usually the happiest I get on the way to the beach!

Now... the way back? That's another story... :BandHead:

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 pm 

Buckeye Trudy wrote:
My favorite part about our drive from Ohio is stopping at the Pizza Hut in Dillon, SC, for lunch. There is a waitress there that is the most precious lady!! She watches for us (we go about the same week each June). When she sees our grandkids walk through the door, she will say "there's my babies!" Last year, the kids wanted to play the skill game with the giant claw that tries to snag prizes; we didn't have any change, so she got into her pocket and gave them her tip money so they could play. She always hugs us goodbye and says "til next time" in her best southern accent. She's a very gracious lady indeed! :angel7:

That is really something special! How neat!!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:45 pm 

I was cracking up about all the Tamarack signs. I have said the same thing, how many of those do they need? We have a favorite rest stop that sits right in the mountains in West Virginia that is a must stop for us. Even if it's at 4 in the morning, we have to stop there. It is beautiful. I miss the view now that we come through at night, but it isn't the same if we don't stop there. Also, on the turnpike, we know that there are 2 tunnels and 3 toll booths, once we clear those, I feel like we are home free. We drive through Charlotte on the route we take and we normally stop somewhere around Lake Norman for gas and pee break. I LOVE this area. Always said if I can't make it to the beach to live one day, this would be my second choice!!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:48 pm 

We love our two day trips. We always get sidetracked by something we want to check out and explore. We like to take different routes as well even if they are off the beaten track. Just adds to the excitement of being on vacation. We did not do this when the kids were little now they are grown. And we are on our own. Sonics are a .must stop for us too.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 am 

We love driving through Mt Olive, NC..... "The pickle capital of the world" !!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 am 

KirkG wrote:
We love driving through Mt Olive, NC..... "The pickle capital of the world" !!!!

Hah! Pretty neat! Don't think i've seen that! Is that on I-95? or a different route?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 pm 

We always start late Friday afternoon and drive to some point in NC. Once Mt. Airy, once High Point, etc. Then the drive to the beach on Saturday is easy peasy. For whatever reason, we can drive straight through on the way home. Go figure. When I hit 220, I feel like I'm close. We always try to stay at Hampton Inn. We love the one in Mt. Airy - lots of Andy/Barney memorabilia! We pack food for the trip down so we don't stop for supper and have breakfast in the am before heading to the beach. Yes..Micountrygal, there's no DIAGONAL NW to SE road in Ohio, but they did raise the speed limit to 70 on some roads! From my house to the beach straight shot, not stopping it is 10.5 hours, but who can hold it that long? LOL Sometimes I think it takes forever to get to the river in Marietta. When I'm in VA and I see NC sign, I know I'm only a few hours to ocean!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

There's a lookout point on I19 south of I79 in WVa.
I always stopping there and enjoy the view.
During my October trips is the best due to the fall colours.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:16 pm 

Even though we go by stuff pretty early morning, I guess some places that stand out to me are a well lit place right off I-26 that sells pre fab log cabins. I think a high school in Spartanburg called Dorman stands out. The campus is right off the interstate and it is one of the biggest schools I have saw. Another thing around Spartanburg is Fuddruckers. It was the first one we ever ate at and was there long before I saw any others.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:02 pm 

We love the area around Lake Norman. Beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:09 am 

Well once again there is a big change to our vacation this year. Besides the fact that we are going down in September for the first time ever, we are also leaving right after I finish work around 4pm and driving straight through, and staying at the NBP in my grandparents room (they'll be there 3 days before us). So it looks like no Cracker Barrel breakfast for me this year, unless we stop there for dinner and I order pancakes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:33 pm 

Being snowed in this week has really put me in beach mode. Looking at old threads and came across one of my favorite parts of the trip, the drive down. We broke the Broadway at the Beach tradition and made our first stop this year at River City in Surfside. We really enjoyed eating our first meal looking at the beach and the kids got to go down to the waters edge while waiting for our food. It was a perfect start to beach week. Will probably make that our first stop again this year.

Hopefully I will be able to clean up the car this year and get back to the tradition of driving a perfectly clean vehicle before we leave. Last year it rained the entire day prior to our 3:30 a.m. departure and got the trip off to a bad start. First time in 15 years that I didn't get to clean the vehicle the day before we left. Also ended up having to pack the top of the car in a pretty hard rain, which wasn't much fun. We did make it all the way east of Columbia last year before our first stop. That was a record distance for us to go without a stop. We actually made the stop out of necessity for a fill up instead of the usual pee stop.

Once this snow gets out of the way, I've got to get the wife's vehicle fixed. I've put it off for a long time, but no way will I pull out to the beach with how it's running right now. It has a bad miss and I'm wanting to get it fixed before the weather warms up and we start traveling more. The dang thing won't throw a code and it's hard to find a mechanic that wants to do anything unless that little computer is telling them what to do. Mechanics that actually diagnose problems anymore are hard to find. If it wasn't for the beach trip I might would just drive it until it quit, but it makes it easier to throw down a couple of hundred bucks to fix it if I pretend it has to be done for the beach trip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Trudy, that is such a special memory as well as something to look forward to each year!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:05 pm 

Being from the mountains in eastern KY .. as we leave we don't really notice the change in the height of the mountains and how they just seem to dwindle away (so to say) LOL... I think we all start getting excited when we get through Ashville. Once through there the next hour to Spartanburg is our next stop (Abbotts farm) and it's like the air is different and has the beach smell.. The rest of the drive in is like going to our second home. We look forward to reading the billboards and seeing what is new. But the best part.. no matter if we come in on 501 or 544 but seeing the first glimpse of the ocean is always breathtaking!! sigh!!

OK Back to reality!! Time to grocery shop!! Woo Hoo!!

Carol