Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunglasses
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 am 

I'm what you may consider a sunglasses junkie. About 15 years ago, I bought my first pair of Oakley sunglasses. I had them for a few months until some hoodlum stole them. Then in I think it was 2004, I forgot my sunglasses at home while heading to Myrtle Beach. The first stop I made was at Sunglass Hut in Barefoot Landing to get a pair. $90 later, I had another pair of Oakley glasses which I still have to this day. Granted, they're kind of beat up but they're great for lawn mowing, weed whacking etc etc. I also have two other pair of Oakleys that I love. Each has their own unique features. I also have other cheap glasses that I almost never wear. Does anyone else have high end glasses or do you all just wear the cheap $5 ones from Wal Mart or where ever you shop? Just curious. Cheers!!

Post subject: Re: Sunglasses
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 am 

I love my Panama Jack WalMart eye wear :hello: . I only pay about $15.00 but they come in so many styles and colors it's more of an accessory for me (see pic...lol). Though they are polarized, which is needed. I have dark brown eyes so the sun doesn't bother me as much as some. My husband on the other hand is like you, he has to have a decent pair. He can't walk outside without sunglasses on...blue eyes :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
I almost never wear sunglasses. I know that I should, blue eyes and all :chairfall:

My husband, however, will not go outside without wearing his. They are called "Fitovers", the kind that slide on top of his prescription glasses. He bought them at the eye doctor's office and he loves them. He got his first pair one week after we moved to Myrtle Beach, and one day, as he was admiring the ocean, a wave caught on to him, and swallowed his glasses. To this day, he is still looking for them, when we walk on the beach. :cool:

Last edited by ChantalAtTheBeach on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 am 

A pair of 80s vintage tortoise shell fake wayfarers for every day on the beach wear and a pair of real RayBan tortoise shell Wayfarers for those trips to Ocean Annie's etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am 

I have deep, dark brown eyes but I HAVE to have sunglasses on ALL the time. Even if it's cloudy and dreary I have them on. My one pair of Oakley glasses have a slight orange tint to them which brightens up the view on a cloudy day. I can't drive without glasses during the day. Nice to know that I'm not alone though. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 am 

I've also got a pair of Oakley's with a slight orange tint. They are great for driving. I love the Oakley's and use them for driving, walking around Broadway, and any other place where I know that I'm not going to have to take them on or off my head until I get back in the car. I refuse to wear them to the beach or pool though. Too much money to have them scuffed up. Use the $5 Wal Mart glasses for those times.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 am 

I bought some for $5 from a kiosk at Tanger outlets the other day. I love them!

~Kari~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm 

I have Icicles (think they've changed their name to 360 now). Totally love them, $139 but best of any I've tried! Bought them at NASCAR race, Loudon NH 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

Always have sun glasses. I got regular prescription glasses in 3rd grade and when I bought my motorcycle I got contacts at the age of 32. I was so excited to be able to wear sunglasses and now have them any time I'm outside.

$5 Walmart? Tried a pair. The lens was horrible and I could see waves where ever I looked. Had a cheap pair from somewhere else for a while until I left them somewhere.

I needed a decent pair for our first vacation when we went to Disney in 2010. We have an outlet mall here in western PA and I stopped in the sunglass place. Yikes! I hightailed it right out of there. Ended up in a clothing store and grabbed a $25 pair.

I fly RC airplanes, so I made sure they were polarized. I like the dark amber lenses. I don't know what brand they are, but I still have that pair. The screw on the right side is loose making the hing really loose, but I still must have them where ever I go outside. I wear them even when it's raining, the polarized lens and amber color cuts through the haze of the rain pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am 

Been saddled with bifocals for several years now. First pair I considered going the two pair route. Sunglasses and clear....Went with the type that change tint in different light. No regrets at all. Beach, river, rag top.......Never give the sunlight a second thought. Don't even realize how dark they are until I pass a mirror. Can sit on beach and move eyes following the scenery without anybody knowing it......Ruann has to wake me up to tell me to look but still....The glasses are dark.

Did learn lesson with last pair. Doesn't pay to go cheap. Lucky for me it was maybe month before next eye exam. Tint and other coatings changed. Tint turned yellow and vision got blurry.

Bought the good ones this time. They darken faster. Polarized with anti-glare helps with night driving. One minor draw back. Slow to change from dark to clear........Five minutes after returning indoors I look like a redneck Baldwin brother with the dark glasses........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am 

I love my mirrored lenses for " scenery watching"!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:48 pm 

I have two sets of eyeglasses. One is bifocals that tint in the sunlight ("transitions" lenses). The other is a pair of prescription sunglasses that I use for driving (since the "transitions" won't darken in the car) and for swimming. The sunglasses were expensive, but if I lose them to a wave in the ocean I'll still be able to read the menu at dinner. If I lose my bifocals, then someone else will be ordering for me for the rest of the trip!

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:53 pm 

I'm getting old, I have bifocals. I bought a pair of EasyClip glasses that come with clip on sunglasses. I also get my lenses in Transitions so if I'm out and don't have the clip ons, I'm still covered.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 pm 

Try at Sam's Club the Tradewinds brand formerly called Pacific Traders. They are $64.00 and are much like Maui Jim's without the high price. They have great lenses henged frames and will compare to any sunglasses available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

I have always hated wearing sunglasses, but as I grow older, I need them for driving and playing golf! A few years back, I bought a pair of Oakleys @ Sunglass Hut while shopping at Broadway at the Beach! Just like Phroggy, some jerk stole them from me. Hoping there's some good sales when I'm in MB next week, because I do need a new pair! Wearing nice Ray Bans now, but I like Oakleys better!!