Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 pm 

This may not be as popular as the beach music topic, but I thought I would throw it out.

Last week we bought a new vehicle :nanner: Now before you even begin to think that I am bragging just a little my Tahoe was 10 years old with 128,000 miles. We believe in paying a vehicle off and driving it until the wheels fall off. Anyway, we downsized since it is just Doug and I (me being the primary driver) to a Chevy Equinox. I am beginning to panic because I really don't think we can get to the beach with all our stuff (golf clubs, beach chairs, SHOES, etc) in that vehicle. When we test drove I thought we had enough room now I am certain we don't. Of course if would be silly to buy a bigger car just to get to the beach once a year, Or would it? :roll: Doug just laughs it off and says I can leave half my crap at home. I replied back that he could leave his clubs at home :lol: .

So my question is what type of vehicle do you drive to the beach and how many passengers? Just curious if we really do pack way too much stuff and we should be able to pack Doug, myself and my mom in our new vehicle comfortably. It is not looking too good at this point. A girl has to have her beach gear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:48 pm 

Deanna wrote:
Of course if would be silly to buy a bigger car just to get to the beach once a year, Or would it? :roll: .

Not silly at all we travel 700 mile to the beach in 1999 we purchased this 1970 Coupe DeVille for the pourpose of driving it to the beach will haul 6 passengers with plenty of luggage space about 16-17mpg on the interstate permanant antique plates that you only pay for once no state inspection and cheap insurance. Plus it rides like a dream like no modern car can and gets looks anywhere we go. Driven now and the in the summer at home but definatly our vacation vehicle that we still drive today.

Last edited by myrtle beachcomber on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 pm 

Deanna, we too have an Equinox... a 2011 in fact. We've taken it only once in our last three trips to Myrtle. As you pointed out, there is some concern about luggage room in the vehicle. For the size of the vehicle, we thought it would be roomier for luggage than it really is. It's my fiance' and I as well as our 7 year old boy. Over packing is a common problem no matter if we're traveling 800 miles or 100 miles. Keep in mind that the rear seat in the Equinox can slide forward and backward to give more cargo space. You'd have to play with this while sitting in the rear seat yourself to make sure your mom has enough room. Without running outside myself to check, I think the rear seat is split 60/40 so you can lay down part of it and still have a passenger in the rear seat. Another thing to consider is the luggage rack on the roof. One more option is if you have a hitch installed, there is a cargo carrier to consider purchasing which is merely a metal rack that you can stack storage totes on and strap down. The only issue I have with that option is if you need to open the hatch to retrieve something, you have to unstrap everything from that contraption.

I hate to admit it, because it really is a totally decent vehicle, but you'll NEVER see the fuel mileage stated on the window sticker. It seems to be a common issue with it as many people have complained after purchasing it for that particular advantage. It's under powered so it's constantly downshifting to get enough power. Don't be surprised if you only get 28mpg on the highway. I'm assuming you have the 2.4L 4 cylinder. If you have the V6, it'll be about 22 at the most.

The last two trips we used my 2011 Ford F-150. The bad part is the fuel mileage (19mpg highway) but the good part is the almost limitless cargo space. The second trip we had four people in the truck. Granted, one was our 7 year old and the other was a 13 year old. You can cram those kind of folks almost anywhere LOL!!!

Hope this helps!! Cheers!!!

PS: Thanks for buying American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by phroggy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:39 pm 

We drive a 2006 Hyundai Tucson...sometimes we travel, just Terry and I...sometimes...my two girls and I...now we do not have golf clubs...but our vehicle is usually jammed packed...normally we have 2 beach chairs, and all the beach gear(towels, small cooler, beach bags...) a cooler with our munchies for the trip , a bag for each for the week, overnight bag for any overnight stops along the way(so we do not have to unload the entire car)...at least one boogie board...cameras, and gear...laptop & other essential electronics, beach house supplies that are cheaper to buy at home...somehow it all fits in...I let my husband pack the car...he can spend hours...it is like a puzzle/challenge to him...only problem...if he does not go on the trip...the girls and I can never remember how he packed for the trip down...plus...you know we have been shopping! so we come home with more than we brought in the first place...so far we have never had to use a carrier on top...we used to use it when we travelled with all 3 kids...we had a Durango then...we would put all the duffle bags in the carrier...got us to Disney several times...anyway do you have roof rails on top for a carrier...that might help with stuff that was not heavy...we have a soft side one and a hard shell one...but we have not had to use them since the kids grew up...

I loved our durango...it had 200,000 miles on it...but I love the tucson even more...easier on gas...and easier to park...I just saw phoggy's post...and he is correct about the mileage...we have the V6...milelage does average 22-25 on the interstate...but coming from a durango...it is much better...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 pm 

We drive a Ford Expedition. 6 passengers and put two of the three back seats down. Use a soft cargo carrier for the top and put one overseas suitcase, one large suitcase, and one carry on size piece, along with towels, and anything else that will fit up there. Makes a good place for dirty clothes bags on the way home too. Throw it in the closet at the condo when we get to the beach and pull it back out when we are ready to depart. Put golf clubs, beach chairs, and a few other bags in the spot where the seats are folded down. Not too crowded on the way down, but as always the trip home requires everything that was purchased to be added to the total. About got it down to a science since we have had this vehicle for five or six years now. Gas mileage stinks, but when you have a bunch of kids like we do, room is more important than MPG.

My mom and dad have a Chevy Equinox, and since they are the only two on the way to the beach, they just lay all the back seats down and load it full.

If you have concerns and your car has a luggage rack, spend around $100 bucks and buy a soft waterproof cargo carrier. I consider ours one of the best investments we have ever made. Doesn't take long to load it and buckle it down, and basically give you an extra trunk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:45 pm 

Deanna,

We have a 2003 Saturn Vue, which is the same as a Equinox. We had 4 people going there, and had plenty of room for luggage. Now that there are only two of you going you could fold the seats down, and should have extra room now. Not sure how much extra you pack, but I think you will be fine, and Doug can still take his clubs! :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:56 pm 

Out of all the years I've driven down to MB, I have always rented. It allows me to drive a newer and bigger vehicle but as my insurance guy advises, if something was to happen, it would be the problem of Budget car and not mine. They'd just give me another car but if it was my car, I'd then have to get a rental and weeks later when my car is fixed, I'd have to make another trip down to wherever to give back the rental and get my car back.

With this in mind, would it be any advantage to rent a vehicle for your trip that has room for all your gear?

Sent using Tapatalk

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:28 pm 

Thanks for all the comments and helpful tips.

myrtle beachcomber, I love the Caddy! What fun! I can't believe you pack 6 people in that thing for 700 miles :lol: Reminds me of when I was little my parents had a station wagon and one year my aunts car tore up the day before vacation and we packed 8 people in it with the top loaded down. I remember it being a long trip.

Phroggy, We always try our best to buy American.

dbusguy, I can totally understand why you rent coming from Canada. However, I am sure that would add several hundred dollars to our vacation budget. We are about budgeted out :roll: Guess I will be packing light. I am also going to check into the soft cargo tops. That is a real possibility. Of course I am sure we would be like the Griswold's and have it slung all over the interstate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:54 pm 

Well 2 of our passengers are beagles but 2 more kids might be easier1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm 

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7416_n.jpg

Sorry.....But whenever I hear people talk about not having enough room.....I gotta laugh......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 pm 

Deanna wrote:
. I am also going to check into the soft cargo tops. That is a real possibility. Of course I am sure we would be like the Griswold's and have it slung all over the interstate.

Cargo carriers are the only way to go. We took the Ford Expedition to Charleston in the fall. We had 4 adults, 2 teenagers, a ten year old, and a 2 year old. If you have ever been in an Ford Expedition you know that the space behind the third row seat and the hatch is very little. We still managed to get all of our luggage and extra items in that small area and the cargo carrier on top. Without the carrier we would of had to drive two vehicles. We still drive two vehicles to the beach to keep from everyone having to do the same activities every night, but since we were just driving to Charleston and parking the vehicle to get on a cruise it worked out great being able to split the fuel expense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:18 pm 

I would think the cargo carrier would be the way to go. My son, who I travel with, bought a new Traverse right before our MB trip last year. While it is a little bigger than your new vehicle.....we had 6 grown adults AND all our luggage. Not nearly as bad going as coming home :hysterical: :hysterical: We were going to buy the carrier for top of vehicle but somehow he would also have had to buy the rails first?? Not in the budget while we were at the beach. It was crowded and we will plan ahead for this years trip BUT we were at the BEACH and were willing to sacrifice for that :nanner:

Brenda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm 

Deanna wrote:
This may not be as popular as the beach music topic, but I thought I would throw it out.

Last week we bought a new vehicle :nanner: Now before you even begin to think that I am bragging just a little my Tahoe was 10 years old with 128,000 miles. We believe in paying a vehicle off and driving it until the wheels fall off.

We also just bought a new vehicle. We like to pay off and drive until the wheels fall off, problem is, with 1 payment left, the wheels were on the wrong side. Wifey flipped it over. 118,000 miles in 6 years, I wish we were only putting on 128k in 10 years. My wife averaged 20,000/year, but for the first 3 years, she wasn't working. Just running grocery shopping once a week and maybe taking the kids or her mom somewhere once a week. I would guess she is doing about 25k per year now with work.

Thus, for your question, we drove a Mazda Tribute (same thing as a Ford Escape) with 2 adults and 2 kids. Everything fit just fine. The difference between Myrtle Beach and Disneyworld was swapping a very large cooler (no fridge in Disney) filled with 2 cases of frozen bottled water for the 4 beach chairs which took up less room and we had an extra overnight bag packed for Disney since we stopped overnight in Savannah, GA.

We replaced the bought new Tribute with a 2010 used Rav4 Limited V6. I'll never purchase a new car again. I wanted a Rav4 6 years ago, but couldn't afford the $32000 new price tag. Bought the Tribute because it was $29,900 sticker and bought for $19,000. Nothing but problems, far more problems than I've had with my history of running 200,000 miles with Toyotas. I just paid the same for the 2010 Rav4 as I did for the brand new Tribute.

I went from 29.7 cu. ft. of adequate cargo space with the seats up to 36.4 cu. ft. in the Toyota, plus I have a rather large cubby underneath the rear floor since the tire is hanging on the back door. I'll have plenty of room to spare this trip. That, and I have to go through West Virginia on I-79 which was horrid in the Tribute. I was running flat out with the transmission hunting between 2nd and 3rd the whole way through West Virginia and could barely maintain 50 mph. It was pathetic. I can't wait to take the fire breathing 269 hp 0-60 mph in 6.1 seconds V6 in the Toyota through West Virginia :mrgreen: Plus I expect around 26-27 mpg out of it for the trip compared to 21 in the Tribute.

[quote=phroggy]PS: Thanks for buying American!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
You're aware that Japanese vehicles generally contain more US manufactured parts than American vehicles, right? Along with, the Chevy might be manufactured in North America, but the US built Toyotas and Hondas are even closer than Canadian and Mexican built Fords and Chevys. If Ford or Chevy could build something even close to quality and reliability of my Toyotas, I might think about buying again. I'll stick with my used Toyotas over new Chevy any day, much less hassle with how they drive, how they hold up, and how less often maintenance is required.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm 

Here's an older thread with cargo-carrier info.... click for cargo thread

You'll figure out a way - necessity is the mother of invention !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 pm 

Opinions vary!!