Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 pm 

Funnies thing I've ever seen while traveling was the car with West Virginia license plates (imagine that!) cruising down I-77 with a kids' bicycle TAPED to the trunk lid. Yes. I said TAPED!!!! Not duct tape either. Just your plain run of the mill clear packaging tape. I had no desire to stay behind them for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 pm 

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4938_n.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:39 pm 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
You would not do well living in this neck o the woods then. I can tell you its 3 1/2 hours for me to get to Cedar Point but as to the miles I have no idea But it is 679 miles on my route from my garage here to my front door at the beach According to the trip odometer in the 70 Cadillac your miles may vary.

I was going to say the same but you beat me to it.

Where do I live? I'm about half an hour from Walmart I tell people. I live smack in the middle of 4 areas that have Walmart to the north, south, east, and west. Actually, I guess I shouldn't count the west since that isn't a Superwalmart, just an old fashion small Walmart.

For the record, I live 20 minutes from myrtle beachcomber over there in Slippery Rock :mrgreen: Myrtle Beachcomber should be able to pinpoint me from the above description of being 30 minutes from 3 Walmarts along with County Market grocery store and an old fashion Walmart being to the west of me :mrgreen:

Yes, here in western PA, we measure distance by time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Quote:
I'll save the "cow dropped on I-77" story for later.........

Alan, don't keep us in suspense!!!!! Gotta hear this one!!!! :ohnoes:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:46 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Just a few years back. Traffic was slowed to a crawl on the interstate. Crossing a bridge there was a bike rack loaded with bikes leaning against the wall. Entire rack with 4-5 bikes still attached to it. No doubt it was on the back of large RV. A car or smaller vehicle would have noticed the loss.

I never saw anybody pulled over. They probably never noticed it was missing until miles down the road or at the campground. Funny how I felt sorry for that Dad even though I would never meet him. Can only imagine what it was like getting to the campground........"Hey Dad.......Where are the bikes?"...........

ROFL at the bike thing. I had some family take some of their grandkids to the beach a few summers ago. I don't remember where they went but it was some where is SC. They got home and the grandkids parents were there to pick them up. They went to get the kids bike of the rack mounted on the back of the camper and the bikes, bumper, rack and all was gone. Needless to say, it may have been theirs. haha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:43 am 

Recall one year it seemed I-95 South was extremely horrible (that is.... more horrible than it's usual horrible-ness). Recall 3 or 4 instances of traffic buildups due to car-top carriers and associated contents strewn all over the highway. Fortunately this board (think it was Leo many, many moons ago) referred us to Rte 795 in NC to bypass most of 95.

When we use our soft-top carrier, I use its tie-downs plus extra industrial-strength 6-foot bungie cords.... kinda belt & suspenders strategy :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 am 

phroggy wrote:
car with West Virginia license plates (imagine that!) cruising down I-77

What's that supposed to mean?

Scott in WEST VIRGINIA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 pm 

#2... Hilarious. The beach is too sandy. Classic.

This is one of my faves...

A woman called to make reservations, "I want to go from Chicago to Hippopotamus, New York" The agent was at a loss for words. Finally, the agent: "Are you sure that's the name of the town?" "Yes, what flights do you have?" replied the customer. After some searching, the agent came back with, "I'm sorry, ma'am, I've looked up every airport code in the country and can't find a Hippopotamus anywhere." The customer retorted, "Oh don't be silly. Everyone knows where it is. Check your map!" The agent scoured a map of the state of New York and finally offered, "You don't mean Buffalo, do you?" "That's it! I knew it was a big animal!"

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 am 

kish73 wrote:
pop2748 wrote:
Quote:

Alan, don't keep us in suspense!!!!! Gotta hear this one!!!! :ohnoes:

Karen in Upstate SC

Waaaaay back. Before cell phones, satellite radio and I-pods. Drivers had little choice but keep CB radios cranked up loud. I was running southbound I 77 behind two Yellow Freight trucks. Maybe half mile between the first and second and I was another half mile behind the second one just listening to their conversation. Mid sentence the one in the front started screaming.

A farmer was hauling a cow in an old horse trailer. No door or gate on the back. Nothing more than a 2x8 board laying across the floor. Might have worked if cow had been wearing roller skates. Cow wasn't tied in or anything. Couple steps backwards and she was in for ride of her life.

First Yellow truck swerved and missed the cow. It had been raining and pavement was wet. Last the first driver saw was cow spinning on rear end in middle of road.
Second driver calls out on CB that cow was sitting on the shoulder when he went by.
When I drove by the cow was standing facing away from road. Hindquarters pretty well scarred. Easy to see why bikers wear leather. Cows have dumb looks on their faces anyway. As I drove by this one turned her head around and look on face was priceless.

First Yellow driver did everything he could to flag down the farmer but he just kept on driving. Imagine the explaining Ol' McDonald had to do when wife asked where the auction money went.

Another similar story.
Heading south on I 75 in Lexington, KY. Was running behind a small horse trailer with green Camaro tailgating it. Horse trailer had gate on the back but there were wide gaps between the cross bars.

Years of experience and half dozen driver safety classes you learn to notice little things. Horse seemed to plant feet and tail started to move. Hmmmmmm. I was already back a good ways but felt it was time to increase my following distance even more.

Yep. Horse unloaded and I have no idea how the covered up Camaro stayed on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:25 pm 

I'm from southwestern PA also, near Ford City, we also measure distance with time usually too like pop from West Va does, due to alot of hills where we live too.

I THINK it's about 750 miles to the beach :???:

Dumb peoples questions....which ocean is by Myrtle Beach? Really?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 pm 

Cathy wrote:
I'm from southwestern PA also, near Ford City, we also measure distance with time usually too like pop from West Va does, due to alot of hills where we live too.

I THINK it's about 750 miles to the beach :???:

Dumb peoples questions....which ocean is by Myrtle Beach? Really?

679 miles on the 70 Cadillacs odometer from Slippery Rock.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:55 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Quote:
When I drove by the cow was standing facing away from road. Hindquarters pretty well scarred. Easy to see why bikers wear leather. Cows have dumb looks on their faces anyway. As I drove by this one turned her head around and look on face was priceless.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Yep, that one exceeded my expectations!!!! Good one, Alan!

Karen in Upstate SC