Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 pm 

I am 40 miles north of Pittsburgh and it takes me 11 to 11 1/2 hours with 2 gas stops you must need a new route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:15 pm 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
I am 40 miles north of Pittsburgh and it takes me 11 to 11 1/2 hours with 2 gas stops you must need a new route.

New route or new routine. :???: We pretty much have our route, stops, leave time etc.... all planned out and stick to it yearly. I've traveled on some fishing trips with some people that would add an hour or two to a trip. Instead of the five to ten minute gas stop it turns into a 30 minute stop. How people can spend 30 minutes walking around a shell station is beyond me, but it's possible. Stop at rest area, pee, get in car open pop, need to pee again and repeat. I hate to travel that way, but know people that do. I'm always in a hurry to get there, but some people don't care.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 am 

Yeah our 2 gas stops are always planned to be quick. I pump gas, son pee's the dogs, wife and daughter hit rest room. Wife and daughter return gas pumping done wife gets dogs in car boy and I hit restroom. 10 ,15 minutes maximum. spent years figuring out my route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am 

hmmm... how about these????

A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE DRIVING HABITS

Happily cruising down the middle lane of a motorway with either indicator flashing, but going nowhere.

Happily cruising down the middle lane of a motorway even when the road is almost entirely empty.

Picking your nose and believing that no-one can see you.

Not realising that there is any other setting for your lights than high beam.

Indicating to move into a lane that you're already half way in.

falling asleep at the wheel, just in time for the lights to turn green.

Sounding your horn one nanosecond after the lights change to green if the car in front hasn't sped off.

Sending sprays of wiper wash right over the top of your car and washing the one behind.

Overtaking then pulling in front and slowing down.

Sharing whatever is on your car stereo with anyone within a mile radius.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:23 pm 

I'm a travel agent who specializes mostly in cruises, and I've had some doozies over the years. Two of my favorites:

1. There's a cruise of the Southern Caribbean that leaves out of San Juan. Do we have to fly there, or can we drive?

2. We're looking for a 3 or 4 night, long-weekend, cruise out of Florida to Hawaii....but it has to be round-trip because the airfare would be too expensive to fly back.

Yup....not kidding!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:19 pm 

This does not have anything to do with travel but is a pet peeve of mine. I have a retail business in a big trade fair (flea market) I often ask customers if they would like a bag for their purchase. Repeatedly the answer is "Do You Have One?" I want to say "No, I just like to ask the question", but no I respond graciously. Actually I guess it does have something to do with travel as close to half of my customers are tourists!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 pm 

I hate when I ask someone how FAR something is and then they respond with the time it takes to get there. I didn't ask how LONG. I asked how FAR!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 pm 

phroggy wrote:
I hate when I ask someone how FAR something is and then they respond with the time it takes to get there. I didn't ask how LONG. I asked how FAR!!!!!!

You'd hate it around here. Most directions are by time vs distance. There is a reason.
In WV....Unless you're on the interstate drive times are longer than in a flat land setting. Most places you can figure 50 miles taking approx. 50 minutes...... Secondary roads in WV...... 50 miles might take an hour to hour and half.
If somebody tells you directions by time....They're just trying to do you a favor. Instead of heading off into the unknown thinking 'We'll be there in 50 minutes...." .....you will get there without feeling like you're lost if it takes longer than expected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 pm 

phroggy wrote:

If someone asked me how far to MB I would have to tell them in time or tell them nothing at all. I really couldn't tell you how many miles from my place to MB. I've been so many times, and the route never changes, so knowing the miles really makes no difference. I do know that it is 7.5 hours to the beach and 7 hours heading back home.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm 

Mid-90's your average cargo carrier was the large white or grey and white box looking thing. Most had a semi-rounded side. Pretty obvious it was for aero-dynamics and meant to be the front. It became a game for me in the summer while driving to look for cargo carriers mounted backwards and sometimes....sideways.
One trip home from beach we made a family game of it. 500 mile trip we counted 19 carriers mounted wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

LOL! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Mid-90's your average cargo carrier was the large white or grey and white box looking thing. Most had a semi-rounded side. Pretty obvious it was for aero-dynamics and meant to be the front. It became a game for me in the summer while driving to look for cargo carriers mounted backwards and sometimes....sideways.
One trip home from beach we made a family game of it. 500 mile trip we counted 19 carriers mounted wrong.

THAT is awesome!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:39 am 

phroggy wrote:

You would not do well living in this neck o the woods then. I can tell you its 3 1/2 hours for me to get to Cedar Point but as to the miles I have no idea But it is 679 miles on my route from my garage here to my front door at the beach According to the trip odometer in the 70 Cadillac your miles may vary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 am 

pop2748 wrote:

We had one of the big box cargo carriers in the early to mid 80s. I was just a kid then and remember being so embarrassed to have that thing on. Was bad enough to be traveling in a station wagon the size of a boat, but then they had to add the big box to the top to draw even more attention. Have no idea if it was mounted right.

I guess one of the reasons I use the soft carrier now is that I am still traumatized from the station wagon and the box. At least with the soft top, you can take it off and throw it in the closet. The big box tops had to stay on the entire trip. The thing was so big that even if you took it off it would have to have its own parking spot. I hated that thing. Best thing that ever happened was when my aunt borrowed it and lost all the hardware. My dad still complains to this day about her ruining his cargo carrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:57 am 

Just a few years back. Traffic was slowed to a crawl on the interstate. Crossing a bridge there was a bike rack loaded with bikes leaning against the wall. Entire rack with 4-5 bikes still attached to it. No doubt it was on the back of large RV. A car or smaller vehicle would have noticed the loss.

I never saw anybody pulled over. They probably never noticed it was missing until miles down the road or at the campground. Funny how I felt sorry for that Dad even though I would never meet him. Can only imagine what it was like getting to the campground........"Hey Dad.......Where are the bikes?"...........

I'll save the "cow dropped on I-77" story for later.........