Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:36 pm 

I just saw an advertisement that TLC is going to have a new reality show called Welcome to Myrtle Manor. It is supposed to be set in a local trailer park.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm 

Just read about it. I will definitely have to watch it!

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/W ... 52332.html

~Kari~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 pm 

This should be interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 am 
Forum Support

Just what I need... another show to watch. :roll: I'll be watching though! :toofless:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 pm 

Wow. A TV show about living in a Myrtle Beach trailer park. Just look at the cast of characters in the link provided by Kari. I doubt that the Chamber of Commerce will be excited to see Myrtle Beach portrayed in this fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Jack:
" I doubt that the Chamber of Commerce will be excited to see Myrtle Beach portrayed in this fashion..."

LOL, Jack, I've wondered that myself. I have not heard any official stance on this production by the Chamber or the City. But let's see....how many years has the city been working to shed the moniker "Redneck Riviera?" I'm just say'n......

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 pm 
Forum Support

Well the city brought it on themselves. They should have denied TLC their permit. :lol:

:toofless: :toofless: :toofless: :toofless:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm 

Like most reality shows it has been scripted, do you really think these shows which spends Millions of Dollars to promote and produce do not direct what is going to happen?

The "stars" of Myrtle Manor from what I have been told by leaked info, have never even lived in a trailer, this was filmed at Patricks Mobile Home Park where friends of mine lived at one time, it is on Hwy 15 which is the 1st right when you leave the airport heading to Hwy 17 bypass, it is just down the road on the left.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:06 pm 

Gary, is this the mobile home park?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like that COULD be in Myrtle Beach, Jack. But the old hound with the buck teeth is missing! Don't you wonder what has become of him? :cool:

More links about Myrtle Manor:

http://myrtlebeach.thedigitel.com/arts- ... 38650-0110

https://www.facebook.com/TeamShellieTLC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm 

Lets hope it portrays southerners in a better light than what honey boo boo does.

I'm hoping to see some of myrtle beach on the tube and fill my empty heart until I return, but, somehow I don't think this will. :(

Sent using Tapatalk

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:04 pm 
Forum Support

patrish wrote:

Most recent post:

Quote:
Let's address directly that bigass elephant in the room. Television is not reality. Very few times is something shot and shown on television that is raw and unedited and even then fewer people are interested. Reality is not edited, it happens as it does. So documentaries that are factually true, any news program, live sporting events, and yes reality shows are structured specifically to get the most amount of people to see them. This is necessary in programming and means that it changes the reality of it.
With that in mind several sites like starcasm.com and any site that references it are decrying weeks before the premiere that the show is fake. They even site this very fan page as proof the show is fabricated. By the basic logic above simply because it is a TV show period, they're correct. The show is structred. But what they don't understand is not only is that irrelevant but if the show was raw and unedited no one would watch it. Imagine watching an hour of someone doing laundrey, the dishes, and then talking about their taxes until the credits roll. THAT's reality. What these shows do, including Welcome to Myrtle Manor, is take real people with real personalities and create situations for those personalities to react. The best reactions are edited in a way that entertains us. The people who reside in the trailer park are not professional actors playing a role, they are that way whether or not the cameras are rolling or not. People watch these shows because they know this, and therefore can relate to someone better than an actor where the disconnect of "that's not how they really are in reality" prevents from doing so.
A trailer park is a communtiy. A community is an opportunity to have an extremely diverse set of personalities to interact with each other creating interesting situations. If those interactions are made because of situations the show set up, it doesn't make the way people react less real. So people like starcasm (and they key to their motivation is right there in their name) have no interest in being entertained, their business is to tear down things by having the "scoop" that reality shows are fake. As I said before, if by fake they mean it has been processed and edited for maximum portrayal, then yeah of course it is. So is WWE, American Idol, Nightline, The Walking Dead, WMBF News, and everything else on TV. If by fake they mean insincere with people created just for the show, not only are they incorrect, but they are ignorant and sensationalist for not doing any research aside from reading this page and Twitter feeds and formulating the most damning perspective possible just for site hits.
It's entertainment. Being entertained is subjective. It also takes a willingness to allow yourself to be entertained. If you can't handle the fact that real people with real personalities are being put into situations they wouldn't have beenin if not on TV, then it's time to throw the thing out the window and take up bird watching. That's a hobby that is in real time with no editing, a total immersion in reality.

The rest of us will be enjoying a show that promises hijinks and hilarity featuring real people we can relate to enough to invest ourselves in their exploits. As for me, you all know what Team I'm on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 pm 

patrish wrote:
But the old hound with the buck teeth is missing! Don't you wonder what has become of him?

That old redneck hound is still kicking, Patrish. Along with his two cousins.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Jack. Most assuredly, I will rest easier tonight knowing that the hounds are still in good health. I'm sure if you could audition them for the reality show, they would fit in nicely. But I know....I know....you can take the hounds out of Tennessee, but you can't..... :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 pm 

That picture of the multi-level motor homes actually looks kind of cool. I wouldn't want to live there, but it's still cool. It would be fun to go see. Possibly it will draw tourists later on - ?

Just from the brief advertisement that I saw, it did look like they plan to exploit the Southern/Trailer stereotype. But I'm sure that's what we all knew already.

This is kind of like when I heard that MTV was planning to do the Buckwild show in WV. I just cringed. Hopefully, most people understand that - even though you can find some colorful characters anywhere, they don't necessarily represent the whole group.