Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 pm 

Our 3 favorite places are MB, Vegas, and Disney World. We've vacationed in Virginia, Pigeon Forge, Michigan, Hawaii, Gettysburg, Missouri, and other places, but we keep going back to our top 3, our favorite being MB. We tend to do DW every 5 years on our anniversary. And, to put in a plug for Arizona, EVERYBODY should see the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Sedona at least once in their lives.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm 

Spent my childhood every year in Ocean City from the time I was 3 I think, minus a year here and there when my parents bought a car, bought a boat one year, year my brother was born. A guy my Dad grew up with moved to Salisbury after marrying a girl from Maryland. My mother and her were roommates in the hospital when I and her daughter were born. We would spend the night in Salisbury at their place and all go to the beach the next day together. This was the only single day all year that they would go to the beach only being less than an hour away.

When I was 14, my parents decided they wanted to try something different and we came to Myrtle Beach. Neither of them could believe we spent every year at OC after our first trip to MB. We went the next year as well.

That was my last vacation as I started working an after school job. I graduated, graduated from college, got a "real" job, was working and met my wife. We had kids, bought a house, struggled, etc.

Finally after 13 years we were able to go on our first vacation (we didn't even have a honeymoon.) I wanted to go to the beach but she wanted to go to Disney. For the kids? We went to Disney in 2010. Yes, it was great, but personally I don't see all the hoopla about Disney. My wife feels the same way. It's a glorified amusement park. I think if possible everyone should take a trip to Disney with their kids at least once, but really it isn't anything "Magical" as they say on the Disney boards. Just a glorified amusement park.

Later that same summer as school time was looming ahead soon my wife says out of the blue, "I have 4 days off next weekend, we should go to the beach." She was joking, but I called on Monday and when I got home, told her to have everything packed up, we are leaving Thursday for Ocean City for a long weekend.

Going back to Ocean City after 20some years, nothing was changed. Still the same. Fantastic boardwalk but dirty beach. Dark cold water. Thrasher's French Fries still on the boardwalk to die for. I ate them all 3 days for both lunch and dinner, LOL.

Being to both Ocean City and Myrtle Beach back in the 80's and going back to OC that year I said the following year we have to go to Myrtle Beach. So much nicer than OC. So, that is where we went. Unlike OC, comparing it to the 80's it was quite different. No more Pavillion where my brother and I spent every night all night at the arcade and amusement park. Now there is a boardwalk but there wasn't much there in 2011 (started being built in 2010, right?) Things were just different all around. Where I walked the beach and boardwalk in OC after 20 years my childhood memories came back, being in Myrtle Beach was just completely different than I remember of my childhood.

Since we've only been on vacation together 3 times, we don't have a "where else" place. We are coming back to Myrtle this year (next Friday!!!!!) I would like to get to the beach in southern Florida some time where the clear blue water is, but I couldn't find an equivalent 2 room oceanfront suite like we have in MB that was in our budget.

It's not so much that we love Myrtle Beach, it is that we love the beach. I want to check out some other places, but Disney just doesn't thrill us, we are not interested in Vegas, I just want to get away from work and plunk down on the beach and do nothing, and nothing is what we do. We sat on the beach until lunch time, ate lunch on the balcony, sat on the beach til dinner, let the kids swim for an hour in the pool, out to dinner and back on the beach again for the evening.

Funny thing about going on vacation to get away from life stress and work. Like I said, it was 13 years before we took a family vacation. I pack up the car and we drive 19 hours and 1100 miles away from work. We drive into the Disney area and find the big colorful sign letting us know we are at the Disney resort. I pull in and park. We step out, walk to the entrance and the first thing I see?

Giant colored foam Lego blocks. Actually, these are called Gorilla Blocks. The large ones are 15 inches long I thnk. What is so significant about that? I am the only person in the world who had ever manufactured that colored foam beads! That is my material that I expanded (the parts are molded in Mexico out of the foam beads.) I drive 19 hours away from work for the first thing that I see is work!!!!! :BandHead:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm 

I also vacationed with my mom (SugarMagnolias) in Outer Banks, NC in 2006. While I had a lot of fun just my Mom and I, it was very boring. I love the beach, but I love going somewhere in the evening and doing stuff. Plus, there was a hurricane off the coast and there was NO beach the entire week. I'm not joking. We couldn't leave our front porch for the entire week. Think i'll stick with MB!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 pm 

Quote:
I drive 19 hours away from work for the first thing that I see is work!!!!! :BandHead:

Too funny..... In an old job I did a lot of work for Micros, the company which makes most of the computerized cash registers in restaurants. Every time I paid a tab, my blood pressure would rise.... :boxing:

Now I work for ATT.... every time I turn around, there is the ATT "Death Star" planted on some advertisement. My blood pressure is always high... my eyes are twitching... losing my hair... can't sleep... :smash[1]:

In September I finally hit the big 5-0...... did a sailing trip down in the British Virgin Islands. If I had unlimited funds, that would be our new favorite.... but MB is still more bang-for-the buck !

The view from our favorite Virgin Island bar-stool:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm 

You mean Myrtle Beach isn't the only place to vacation? :clown: Wildwood NJ would be a vacation spot when I was younger. Took a few trips to Disney, back in the 70's, I wonder if it has changed much? :joker:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 pm 

Hey I'm back, I've been busy and have not been on the message board. My favorite vacation spot so far are Myrtle Beach of course, and Disney world, Clearwater Beach, Charleston, Niagara Falls is really great but I won't go back in the winter but I really what to go back in the summer again and you all of the water attractions like the Maid of the Mist and going behind the Falls, the Aero car, and I want to see the falls from the American side. my dream vacations would be the Caribbean maybe Hawaii the Gulf Coast of Florida again, and a Cruise, yea I would even like to go out west and see the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone Lake Powell. I would love to go to to California to San Francisco, the west coast beaches, and Seattle, I mostly dream of the Caribbean and a cruise first to see where I like it the most, I want a picture perfect beach with the calmest clearest water, little crowds, and maybe a small shack for cold drinks. :sunny:

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 am 

That sounds like an awesome bucket list.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:15 pm 

My biggest aha moment vacations were to Hawaii and Arizona (Grand Canyon, Sedona, all around.)

We were married in Negril, Jamaica, so that is special and was truly tranquil and beautiful.

We obviously love MB. The OBX was fun, too, the couple times I was there. I flew Jockey's Ridge! Woot.

Chicago is my go to city...been about 15 times. Love it.

We've been to Disney the last 2 years. Never went until 2011 and thought I was only doing the obligatory trip for my DD7 at the time. I. fell. in. love!! I love Disney. Love everything about it. Love the whole marketing, training, business side and the magical side. Would love to work in Animal Kingdom. No joke! I live in Ohio, too, with Cedar Point, Kings Island, etc. Geauga Lake (gone) and Sea World (gone) and would never consider WDW an amusement park...don't even go to Kings or Cedar Point, weird, I know, but too congested and not interested in just roller coasters. Disney customer service spoils you.

Would love to do the Banff, Vancouver, Lake Louise trip and Alaska and, of course, we have to hit the sacred homeland...ITALY! Scotland, Ireland are also on my list and my nephew is currently living in Spain, so that's a possibility, too! I need to win the lotto!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994