Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 am 

I've been toying with purchasing one or the other, particularly for reading books. Seems I spend a fortune on paperbacks... :dontknow: I've read all the guru hoopla... would love to hear from actual owners. Why did you choose the one you have? What do you use if for? Problems you've encountered. Overall happiness with product.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 am 

I have a Kindle that I purchased about a year ago for $79. It is simply the newsprint style, with the keyboard. I love it, mainly because inside or outside, you have no problem seeing the screen. I did get the lighted cover for it which I think was around $55 through Amazon - though I'm not sure as hubby got it for me for Christmas. It's nice to read in bed and not have to get up to turn off the lights :lol:

I only wanted one for reading books, not all the browsing, etc. I have been able to link up to the local library to borrow books also. It all depends on what you want to do with it!

I'm glad you posted this because I need to go "book shopping" for our upcoming vacation at the beach! :nanner: Any recommendations??

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:08 am 

Wife has a Nook loves it. Can dowload books over any open wifi connection.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:18 am 

I have had a Kindle for about 2 years. I put off purchasing one because I thought I would never enjoy the feel of not having a book in my hands. However, if my Kindle bit the dust today I would order another one today. It is kinda like my Keurig I wouldn't live without it. Now as far as what would I pick a Nook or a Kindle. I would go with the Kindle I just like them better. I hear there are still alot problems with the Fire so I would have to research the Fire verses the $79 Kindle. I am very content with what I have for reading.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 am 

I love my Kindle. It is the $79 one...good for basic book reading! I can not have the Fire because we do not have cell service at our house yet...too hilly! I can order books and they download automatically when i get into a service area. My son in law has the Fire and loves it. He likes all the things he can do on it. Eric brought it with him on vacation. He and Ashley were using it all the time. So if we ever get cell service here at home I think I would get the Fire because of all it can do and because of the price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:03 am 

Deanna wrote:
It is kinda like my Keurig I wouldn't live without it.

Deanna, You are a woman after my own heart! lol And of course, many times the books and the coffee go hand in hand!

I found this "test" on cnet that advises you on what to buy based on your answers and it advises me to buy the kindle touch. So I'm investigating right now. I still have a couple of paperbacks here which will last me this week, then I'll either buy more or purchase an e-reader. Probably purchase the e-reader! lol

Thanks for the input everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 pm 

Well, I ordered the Kindle Paper White before it came out. I've had it a few weeks now and I must say... I LOVE IT!!! :nanner: I actually like it more than I thought I would! Not having to look for a book marker, no turning pages, and having a huge selection at my fingertips (literally!), are just a few reasons I love it so much.
Most of what I've read has been free, although I've recently purchased a few for $.99 ea, and even $1.99. lol I feel like I have a personal library within reach at all times. I took it to my dh's oral surgeon while waiting and the time flew by.
It holds a charge for over a week and I read for hours most evenings and more on weekends.

Just wanted to give some feedback. - also, there was a report from Kindle that the Paper White had an issue with the back light at the bottom. I can honestly say I don't notice it at all. I have used it in the dark and in the light and in daylight. :sunny: I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase! :love1:

Thanks to all for your recommendations! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Admin

So glad your choice of the Kindle worked out well for you!

One of my good friends has a Kindle (and loves it) and another good friend has the Nook (and loves it.) You are absolutely right...it's all about what you want in an e-reader, and both friends did a lot of research before making their decision. (Wally and I have the new iPad and love it.)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:39 pm 

I have a Kindle 3G and DD has a Kindle Fire and an Ipod and probably an iPad in the not too distant future. Geeks all of us! I love them all. I know holding a book is nostalgic, but I love highlighting things in the books on the Kindle and then going back to the list of highlights. They are quite the handy little gadget!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:05 pm 

I do have the iPad 4 with Retina and do like reading books on it, but I find I use my little Sony PR-300 eReader that I bought last summer the most! Why did I buy that particular eReader? Simply because I am fortunate that my daughter-in-law works at our local Walmart. She called me one morning on her break and asked if I still was interested in an eReader (we had been discussing the Kindle/Nook debate the week before). I asked why & she said that her store had just marked down the Sony eReaders to $25 and there were only two left! I told her to grab me one! She bought one & bought the other one for me. I later purchased a nice leather case with a light inside that opens like a book that was marked down to $9.99. If I want the sensation of holding a book, I can do it with the case, or I can fold it back. I never thought I'd buy an eReader but I love having my books on it and not having to store them on bookshelves! I love that when I turn it on I can continue reading right where I left off. I can also bookmark passages & then sort just by bookmarks! And it will be so nice this summer when we go camping! I'd rather carry it along with me than the expensive iPad!

Just my two cents.... :dontknow:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 pm 

I have one of the original kindle's and the kindle fire HD...love the original for its light weight and ease of handling( but no light on mine)...great to just pop in my backpack all the time...love the fire for all the things it can do besides read books...love the lighted text for reading in room with poor lighting...but I mainly got it to use at school with students and with my grand daughter who is just about to turn 5...she loves the apps and games that I have loaded on it...but her favorite part is music...she loves playing the songs I have downloaded as well as the apps...students at school love when it is their groups turn to go to the kindle center...it was a great inexpensive alternative to an ipad for my classroom...our computers are so old & there is no money to upgrade in our district...I did invest in the OTTERBOX case to protect it from falls...it has been dropped and is still perfect...FYI...all my books load to both kindles...so I can switch back and forth when reading...if battery runs down on one I can just switch to the other...

Terry says I have too many devices...one evening I was reading on the small kindle...texting on my iphone, talking to my daughter on the landline and messaging on facebook on the kindle fire...all at about the same time...he just stood and shook his head...I am not very tech savvy about many things but I think I have the basics down pat!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 am 

I got a Kindle fire Christmas before last. I loved it. I used it all the time. The screen started having problems around May 2012. It was apparently a common problem with that batch of KF. I contacted Amazon customer service sent me a free replacement without any argument. The second Kindle stopped charging this week. Apparently this is also a know problem. I called Amazon tuesday and my new replacement should be here today. Despite the problems I have had, the ease in fixing them still makes me a big fan of Kindle Fire. Its a good size to carry around in a coat pocket, making it easy to use anywhere. The prime membership that I purchased has more then paid for itself. I would kind of like to upgrade to the HD version, but I will use my first generation KF and/or subsequent replacements for as long as possible.