Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Beach" Song
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 pm 

With the criteria being the "beach" song that always makes me smile, I have to include a song that some (perhaps many) of you may not know.

My cousin was in a group named Wild Cherry - famous as a one-hit wonder with "Play That Funky Music, White Boy".

However, they DID record one beach song. Named "123 Kind of Love", it featured group founder/vocalist Rob Parissi's unmistakable voice and style in a rather catchy tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2RvpRQWYc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 pm 

MIKE!!!!!

I just LOVE this song! It's one of my favorite beach songs! :nanner: :nanner: :nanner: According to my iPod Touch's 'Most Played List' it's in the top 20! I first heard it YEARS ago when my (then) favorite Charlotte, NC radio station had a weekly two hour beach music show and the hosts, Don Russell and Mary June Rose, introduced it as a great song to shag to (they were correct as usual). It's one of those songs that just makes you happy! Thanks for introducing it to the MBMB members! I know they are gonna love it! :cheerleader:

Had no idea your cousin was in the group! I'm impressed! :rastanana:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm 

kish73 wrote:
...Had no idea your cousin was in the group!...

Karen,

The sad part is that Ron, their drummer, was the first to leave the group when they broke up for good.

I was suggested to consider as his replacement - but the entire group then broke up instead, and all went their separate ways.

Oh well...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 am 

Mike wrote:

Quote:
I was suggested to consider as his replacement - but the entire group then broke up instead, and all went their separate ways.

Awwwww, that's sad. :cry: I'm sure you would have been an awesome drummer. But look at it this way.... if you had joined the group and they waited until later to break up, your life might have taken a different path and you might never have moved to MB!!! It all worked out for the best!
And the best part is.... we on MBMB get to enjoy your wonderful posts! :nanner: :hello: :cheerleader: :rastanana:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59 am 

Beach Song? Well, I agree with Gary that there have been quite a few to pick favorites and really I enjoy quite a few of them. But I can tell from most of the responses that I am from a different generation, so I'll throw a few more "recent" ones out there that I enjoy. I guess they are technically more summer songs but I think they go hand in hand.

80s
"Summer of '69" - Bryan Adams
"Boys of Summer" - Don Henley

90s
"Summertime" - DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince

Modern
"California Gurls" - Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:38 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw4xI4xkeyo
Cant seem to embed anymore?

Last edited by myrtle beachcomber on Mon May 18, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:33 pm 

Interesting that I've never seen this post before today. As I sit here at home watching the sky unload its sixth inch of snow foe the day, my mind races for the warmth of sunshine. In my house, nothing screams "beach" quite like Three Little Birds by Bob Marley.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:05 pm 

My beach song is Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl"
Not the typical beach song but years ago my daughter and I were the only ones at the pool and the hotel played this song constantly. We would sing along and to this day, this song brings back those carefree moments.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:05 am 

"Southward" by Jim Morris is another of my long-time favorites. (http://jim-morrismusic.com/)

Great tune about driving South from Virginia through the Carolinas, Georgia, etc... takes me back to the fun drive down to the Grand Strand !

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Carolina coastline is all flowers in the Spring, the dogwoods and azaleas on parade
Live oaks hug the highway through the cool black water swamps, I'm riding beneath a canopy of shade
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by KirkG on Sun May 10, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:46 pm 

4ever in Flip Flops wrote:
My beach song is Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl"
Not the typical beach song but years ago my daughter and I were the only ones at the pool and the hotel played this song constantly. We would sing along and to this day, this song brings back those carefree moments.

I agree. Something about that song just seems like it should be warm and sunny out. We heard it on the stage at BATB a few years ago and it just seemed like it belonged.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:45 am 

Jimmy Buffett does a well-known cover of Brown-Eyed Girl.... as the story goes, Jimmy recorded it at the behest of his steel drum player, Robert Greenidge, who is from Trinidad. Robert was telling Buffett a story about how Van Morrison wrote Brown-Eyed Girl about a lovely lady he met in Trinidad, so it fit right in with Buffett's Caribbean themes. "It will be a hit !"

As they were recording in the studio, Buffett suddenly stops and yells at Robert.."you are such a liar.... there is no stadium in Trinidad !". "Ya mon, but it's the only way we could get you to record it... it's such a great song !"

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:38 am 

Quote:
Cant seem to embed anymore?

I also have odd issues with embedding Youtube... definitely try removing the "s" from https:// and embed as http://. That works about half the time for me.

I have also seen issues where the link is "extra long" (technical term) and those don't seem to work. I sometimes search again for the video and a shorter link will be found which typically works (no guarantees)

Note: I have noticed this issue with other forums I visit, so it's not an MBMB-centric issue.

If any Admins or power-users have any tips, please post them ! (maybe this needs its own thread)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:54 pm 

This is probably not my favorite, but I can't tell you how many times we have sang this song at the top of our lungs driving to the beach. Great memories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-_omoYPsI

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:46 am 

I Love Beach Music and Carolina Girl, and so many more.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:04 pm 

I love them all! Beach music just puts one in the mood!