Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 pm 

I run every morning but it doesn't help my beach body one bit.........Might start running farther by going to toilet down the hall.......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:20 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Love you, Alan! :drinkin:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:05 pm 

Well I haven’t checked in on this thread for a good while. Things have not been good for me on the dieting side of life. I basically am one of the people that must exercise to keep weight off and that has come to a halt for me. I have had chronic plantar fasciitis from running for over 6 months. The last three months I have hobbled basically everywhere. I am not sharing this for the sympathy vote I am sharing because I am up for any helpful suggestions and also to maybe help someone else. I have been doing physical therapy for 2 months without much improvement and we are now talking surgery. I have been doing the fairly new procedure of Iontopheresis which is using sound waves to penetrate medicine through the skin. This is suppost to be better than shots. Below is a pic of how they wrap my foot after Iontopheresis (yes, my foot is swollen today). I have to wear the medicine patch for 6 hours. Anyone else dealt with this? Signed, FED UP

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:15 pm 

Sorry to hear about the injury. Unfortunately, running is probably the worst exercise you can do because of the constant pounding on your joints and bones. I like to run too, and I know all the years of playing sports and exercising will eventually catch up to me. I need to find another activity easier on the joints, but running is the only thing I seem to stick with.

I'm like you in that exercising helps me with the "diet" part of the weight loss. I have a hard time eating right if I'm not exercising. Life has been a little busy for me the last two months, but the good thing is that it starts slowing down beginning this week. Maybe I can get back on track and get to my "beach weight" by the middle of July.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 am 

I started to post here yesterday but phone rang and well you know who that goes. LOL...

OUCH Deanna!! I have to watch my feet carefully being diabetic. Thank the good Lord no problems!!

But did want to share this, since the summer of 09 to now I have lost 90 lbs just watching what I eat and we now go to the Y 3-4 nights a week. I high intensity walk on treadmill but not coordinated enough to run lol.. So my fast paced walk helps!! and then we are in the weight room at least 45 mins also. I have two pics comparing but cant figure out how to do a split screen from my phone lolol.. anyway .. still have a way to go but new BS meds are helping and want to drop at least 15 but 20 by the time we come down in Sept. I dont mean for this to sound like I have huge lol.. I don't want to loose more than 40/50 more altogether .. I can't wear my swimsuits from last year and my shorts because most are elastic waist are ok other than the legs and then you know they are to big.. waist/stomach area is the hardest place for a diabetic to loose.. I have hope though lol I have parted with many dress tops but have kept tshirts because i like them big and loose when working out lol..

Honestly don't know where I was going with this post

Deanna Hope you get some relief with your foot!!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:36 am 

Wow...90 lbs is incredible :hello: Just reading that is encouraging. I am amazed when people say they have lost that much weight mainly by diet. Guess I like to eat way too much :roll: Keep up the good work and for sure keep us updated on your progress.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 pm 

Deanna, I've had plantar fasciitis for several years. One thing I have noticed is that the same treatments don't work for everyone. I have never heard of Iontopheresis, so I can't speak on that. I did have a steroid shot in the beginning. I don't like needles and the process was painful, so I never went back for another. :oops:

This is what has worked for me. Stretch your calves as often as you can. Freeze a bottle of water and roll it under your foot. Take advil/aleve type medicine to reduce inflammation. NEVER go barefoot. Wear shoes with good arch support (Birkenstocks, Dansko, Asics, Vionic, Chacos, Earth) There are also good arch support inserts called Powersteps. If you can stand it, the night braces can help.

If your foot hurts, do not push through it. It is best to rest.
Mine is under good control now so I walk when I want to, but back when it was bad I used a stationary bike for exercise.
Be patient with yourself. It takes a while to heal. This is often a two steps forward and then one back type of recovery. But you will recover. Hang in there. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:00 pm 

Thanks Janet. I need all the encouragement I can get right now. I started wearing the night brace Monday night and knock on wood I think it has helped. Of course I am not getting my hopes up. After 6 months I just want to :cry: :cry: One thing that has helped me some that I learned at therapy is to roll your calves with a pampered chef pastry roller. It is very painful, but it helps. Apparently I have lots of knots in my calves :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:34 pm 

That's great if you can use the night brace. I somehow managed to take it off or kick it off in my sleep. :roll:

I have heard that rolling the calves can help. That's good that you are finding some things that work for you.

You might have guessed that my "no barefoot" rule gets a little lax when I'm at the beach. And I do come home with a sore foot. I just go back to the plan when I get home.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:44 am 

I deal with the Plantar Faschitis, too! It is certainly not a pleasant experience. The night brace has helped me a lot. I have used it since Oct of 2013. Just last month I started wearing it every other night...it seems to still be working and gives me a night off from wearing it. I take ALEVE morning and evening...which helps with inflammation. All the things mentioned in previous posts have helped me. I still deal with tight calves and ankle tightness and find myself stretching them out many times during the day...especially if i have sat in one place for a long time...but after I walk around for a few minutes it is ok...lately, there has been no pain...just the annoying tightness...I have started walking the treadmill again(never was a runner)...but I make sure I start out slowly and build up speed...my doctor, also, told me "do not incline your treadmill"...not sure how that will work when I start walking outside again...not a lot of flat, walking area around here... I had not heard of the lontopheresis either...will be mentioning that next dr visit...I have found that BROOKS shoes are very comfortable and supportive...about $90 on Amazon...if I really want to walk barefoot at home...I have found that using athletic tape...to support the arch helps...not real stylish...but at home no one is bothered by it...I have not even tried my flip flops/sandals...Boo! Good luck! Let us know how things progress Deanna...so many people have trouble with this...any info is good info...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm 

Just thought I would let all my plantar fasciitis friends know that after $2,400 of physical therapy, two shots, one nerve block and hundreds of dollars of over the counter remedies I just can't take it anymore. I have a consultation with a surgeon on Monday. This has been worse than giving birth :lol: Now so I am not completely off topic somehow I have to lose some weight before my son's wedding Dec. 12. Anyone ever exercised with one foot?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:48 pm 

Deanna,
I find it easier to eat right while exercising, but studies have shown that an overwhelming majority of body physique is determined by diet and not exercise. I like to exercise too, but diet is by far the most important part in changing your body. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 pm 

You sound like my Dr. Just stop eating! However, I have this thing called food addiction and like to eat :lol: Seems like my eating control is always better if I am exercising. Guess I am fixing to see what I am made of.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 pm 

Deanna wrote:
You sound like my Dr. Just stop eating! However, I have this thing called food addiction and like to eat :lol: Seems like my eating control is always better if I am exercising. Guess I am fixing to see what I am made of.

I confess, I'm a food addict too :mrgreen: . I just went to the beach at the heaviest weight I had ever been at vacation time. For some reason I just couldn't get the mindset to lose those last 15 to 20 pounds this year. Guess I will get it right next year (I say this every year I think).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next