Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

It's more than sports bar...more upscale... but it fits this category with a huge bar and many TVs.

Last night, in the most miserable cold weather we’ve experienced in 2017, we decided it was time to start using up the certificates in our Attractions Book since they will not be good after the 31st. We chose American Tap House, located in Broadway at the Beach.

Naturally there is no close parking, so we arrived at the restaurant with chattering teeth and wet feet. Additionally, it was 6:30 P.M. and there was NOT ONE person in the dining area. Which points out anther “duh” moment in our lives together. OF COURSE there were no people there. The people not there are astute, wise, smart and well-informed. They are sitting in front of their comfy fireplace watching their favorite shows.

However, our attitude brightened, thanks to our waiter, Dave. He was excellent! He knew the menu, made suggestions, checked with us often but didn’t hover.

Wally ordered one of their featured dark craft beer, and I had glass of wine but only because he insisted. Note: There are no “happy hour” prices on wine….only on beer and mixed drinks. Nobody ever asks my opinion, but one or two house wines would be a good addition. At $6. a glass, they could easily drop the price to $3. and still make a profit.

I ordered the Chicken Marsala and Wally had Fish & Chips. My Marsala was EXCELLENT. I have ordered Chicken Marsala at restaurants up and down the Grand Strand, and none have been any better. I came home and spent some time googling the recipe, but could not find it. Wally’s Fish & Chips were also good, but I was glad I ordered the Marsala!

Thanks to Dave for the great service, and for making this a fun evening for us!

The last photo is as we were hiking back to the car.

http://americantaphouse.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:19 pm 

Looks truly yummy! I loved that you were circled in the pic as if we could miss your pretty face amongst the throngs of tourists :wink: ! I have never seen BATB so deserted...it was almost eerie looking! Glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to use my new attractions book :wav:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:58 pm 

Off season and bad weather is not a view I'm familiar with at MB. If I didn't get good service with a crowd like that I would be really disappointed. Lol

Looks great and would be a nice choice if the wife and I ever get a night out. I like the dark beers. How did Wally say that was?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 pm 

Yours looks really good Patrish. Wally's fish looks over cooked for me but that's only the batter, it's the fish inside that counts. You had the place to yourselves. Glad you circled yourself. I would have missed you :roll: The one complaint Barb had was how lonely she felt. We had almost every place to ourselves. She felt it was too slow in November. Glad you had good service. That seems to fall when things are slow.

Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album
Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm 

Thanks Don... Actually, I think Patrish darkened the photo a bit, as I recall the fries were almost anemic looking when served. In the photo they are golden. Good job on the fries for Patrish... The fish batter was crisp, but the Grouper inside was great, and moist. As much s serving as I could manage. I really had a hard time grasping the fact that we were the only ones in the whole place. I might also add the Wahlburgers, right next door, was packed and there were folks on the sidewalk dining area. We thought it might be a private party...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 pm 

Hi again, MBKY, I do like the darks, and that's what I asked for. The server, Dave, Who, by the way was a class "A" server who said he has been there since they opened. He recommended this one, Blue Point Toasted Lager, and said it was a bit like Yuengling. And I found that to be true. It was a nightly special @ $3. Had I looked closer they were loaded with other darks, but as I recall, the price was in the $5, $6 and $7 range... Here is the link to the menu and the beers are fully explained there.
http://americantaphouse.com/local-craft-taps

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Wally mentioned the party going on next door as we were leaving the Tap House.
With all the rain and cold, it was surprising to see Wahlburger's packed with people and green balloons, inside and out!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm 

Had a few beers there but no food yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

Looks yummy! Pictures make all the difference in reviews. We are looking forward to Broadway at the Beach this year. We only spent a short time there last year as we went on a cool day. We are looking forward to seeing all the changes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 am 

beachwally wrote:
Hi again, MBKY, I do like the darks, and that's what I asked for. The server, Dave, Who, by the way was a class "A" server who said he has been there since they opened. He recommended this one, Blue Point Toasted Lager, and said it was a bit like Yuengling. And I found that to be true. It was a nightly special @ $3. Had I looked closer they were loaded with other darks, but as I recall, the price was in the $5, $6 and $7 range... Here is the link to the menu and the beers are fully explained there.
http://americantaphouse.com/local-craft-taps

I've only been to one brew house and enjoyed it. I prefer my Kentucky bourbon over beer, but do enjoy sitting down a drinking a couple when at a restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:23 am 

Wow, the chicken marsala looks so good! I'll have to add this to our ever-growing list of place to try next year.