Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Basement
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 pm 

So I can't give to detailed a review here as I only did carryout and for only a few items. But, since I enjoy doing this, here's my two cents on the little establishment on Forestbrook road near Hwy 501 by Food Lion.

It's a smaller place with some tables and some booths. A few pool tables and televisions. Nothing to get overly excited about, but since it's new it's a decent.

I was in need of picking up dinner on my way home from work and have wanted to try The Basement for months. After looking over their menu on their Facebook page, I opted for what sounded like a delicious appetizer: butterfly shrimp stuffed with jalapenos and cheddar cheese. And it was fantastic. The other item was an order of 15 garlic parmesan wings, which were pretty average. I'll probably opt for something besides wings next time with my stuffed shrimp.

Two things to note, you are required to pay when you call in to order over the phone. Also, you get stuck with a $2 "to go fee" with carry out.

Last edited by crablegs on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Basement
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for this. Interesting about the $2. carry-out fee. I'm flying blind here because I don't know if this business is within the city limits of MB, but MB has laws in place about the amount of tax paid on whether you dine in, or carry out...and they differ.

But this is not tax...it's a fee they've imposed for carrying your purchase out of the store instead of sitting inside and eating it. Right? If you're gone - out of there - you've left no table mess like spilled condiments, used napkins, rings on the table from your beverage, etc. (not that you would, of course) yet you must pay $2.? Ah well, times they are a-changing, but maybe not for the better. Thanks for the review!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject: Re: The Basement
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 am 

This is an odd practice considering To-Go orders typically have less overhead associated.

Here's a good one.... a local "crab shack" (for lack of a better term) opened here. Fresh, local seafood to-go, either raw or cooked. Owned by watermen, so most of their offerings are caught within 24 hrs of serving. Very popular, and they put 4 picnic tables so folks could eat there (no inside seating). Considering the popularity of crabs (and the mess they make when you eat them), they now charge an additional $10 to eat there ! (no upcharge for to-go). Not sure if this is a per-order charge or per person, but.....