Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rivercity Cafe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 pm 

Went to the River City Café for lunch (21st Ave North location). I got a buffalo chicken sandwich, Corey had a burger with mac and cheese on it and Nolan had a corn dog. The buffalo burger was VERY good and Corey really liked his special burger as well. The service was good, however we were very disappointed that they didn’t have milk or apple juice for Nolan. All in all, we liked this place.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

Post subject: Re: Rivercity Cafe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

We generally get good meals at River City Cafe. I'm surprised they don't have milk or juice. Who knew?

I looked at their menu and there is no mention of ANY beverages. Which makes me wonder. It seems like most restaurant beverages have doubled or even tripled in the last few years.

Have restaurants stopped putting it on their menus because they know it's easy for the waiter to say "What would you like to drink?" And it's just as easy for people to say "sweet tea" (or whatever) without asking "Just how much IS that sweet tea?" Also I've noticed a lot of coupons now state "buy one, get one (or whatever the special is) WITH PURCHASE of two beverages."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 pm 
Forum Support

patrish wrote:
"buy one, get one (or whatever the special is) WITH PURCHASE of two beverages."

I hate that! That started around here in WI several years ago and seems to be catching on. :(

When I go out a lot of the time I get water just because I am thirsty and water with a lemon quenches my thirst. I can see that the restaurants aren't making money or much off you if you don't order drinks, especially at a place like River City. However I was told up here it was more about people using the coupons and doing nothing else. No drinks, desserts, appetizers, or even a tip! Wow the last one completely caught me off guard.

Not sure if places in Myrtle Beach have started this or not, but while in Florida they always want to send you "home" with a drink. Which I love. So I do find myself ordering drinks more often because of that. Some even want to send you home with a water!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:05 pm 

If you have a large family drinks end up putting the price of eating out high even at budget places. I usually drink water knowing that we are going to end up paying $10 + in drinks even if I don't get one. What has gotten crazy lately is the trend of places that have dropped drinks from being included with their kids meals. You look at a $5 kids meal and think thats not horrible, but when you throw in the $2.25 drink you have just paid $7.25 to feed a four year old. W ate at California Dreaming Thursday and their kids meals were price around $4 and included a drink. It made a big difference in the price of the meal at the end. Ended up being about $8 cheaper for them to eat than some of the other places that didn't include the drink.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Melissa:
>...However I was told up here it was more about people using the coupons and doing nothing else. No drinks, desserts, appetizers, or even a tip!

We always tip on what the full amount would have been without the coupon, since the waiter/waitress works just as hard as they would without a coupon. But I'm guilty of everything else...I never order dessert or an appetizer, and I DON'T feel a bit guilty about that.

MBKY, do you know the kid's drink prices before you order? Can you get a small drink or are they are just a standard price?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:52 pm 

patrish wrote:

MBKY, do you know the kid's drink prices before you order? Can you get a small drink or are they are just a standard price?

Most places charge a standard price for drinks regardless whether it's for a four year old or a thirty year old. A few years ago only a few places did not include them on the kids menu (Applebees was the first chain that I noticed that did not include them) now I am finding it more common for a lot of places not to include them. I was surprised that California Dreaming kids meals were so reasonably priced and included a drink. There is a push now for restaurants not to include a soda option for kids meals, but all that it really turns into is more profit for the restaurants. My problem with that is that the other alternative is probably a juice option that is also full of sugar. All my kids get at home is a diet soda if they want a soft drink, so letting them have a regular soda the few times we eat out is not a big deal for me. My kids drink a lot of water, but use sugar free flavor packets like propel when they do and I can't get them to drink plain water. So, if we end up at a restaurant we are either getting a free kids drink or having to fork over the $2 added on top of the kids meal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm 

They made it seem like they ran out of milk and that apple juice wasn’t an option in general. I don’t know about anyone else, but I would think apple juice was kind of a “staple” to menus, especially when offering a kids menu. Most kids (not all) that I know, don’t like lemonade or orange juice as it’s too bitter.

That’s a really good point… why are drink/drink prices not always being presented on the menu? I have started to wonder that, but didn’t think too much about it. I have also noticed the prices. There’s a place in MN we like to go and a drink is literally $3 (non-alcoholic). We now order only water because the bill for us goes up so much.

The kid drinks costing more “behind the scenes” is so frustrating. You get the bill and you’re like, really? Another $2.50 for a SMALL glass of milk? The total is always shocking when you get it. In my experience, they sometimes tell you it’s an extra charge, and sometimes not. I think the price depends on the place.

I wish most places in general would give smaller, more reasonable portions with everything and thus lowering the price. The portions are so outrageous sometimes. My 3 year old isn’t going to eat a side portion of fries. There’s a place in MN where Corey, Nolan and I all order our food, but we only order fries with Nolan’s because it’s enough for all three of us..! That’s another reason I don’t feel guilty about not eating an appetizer or dessert (rare for us). We can’t eat all of that normally.

We always tip on the full amount. Some people are bad tippers in general so when they use a coupon, I can imagine that being painful to see what they left you.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014