Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Margaritaville
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm 

As most of you know we started the tradition of hitting Margaritaville on our way into the beach on check in day. It is always lots of fun and this year was no different. We had a 55 minute wait, but for some reason we didn't mind. I just love pulling up at Broadway and when you step out of the car the heat, humidity and ocean breeze just kinda let you know you have finally arrived. I remember last year it was so hot you could not breath. This year I would say it was just perfect. Ryan has always loved Margaritaville because of their ribs. He was so disappointed when he learned they had taken them off the menu. Regardless we had a great time. You know when your entire family is laughing LIFE IS GOOD.

Started out with the nacho's and as usual they were really good. I was stuffed before my meal arrived. Totally worth it though.

My mom and I split a burger with onion rings. Doug also had a burger with fries.

Leanna (Ryan's new fiance) had the buffalo chicken bites

Ryan had the BBQ burger with fries. Sorry I thought I had a pic.

Our food this year was totally what we expected. Average. I will say it again you pay for the atmosphere and we love it. We walk in on top of the world because we are at the beach and we leave singing Jimmy Buffett songs. Lots of fun! We give Margaritaville a B this year.

Last edited by Deanna on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Margaritaville
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 pm 

Deanna, you will not have to travel far beginning next winter. Margartaville coming to the Island inPigeon Forge - winter 2014. I know it will not be the same but I can pretend I am at the beach.
Glad you enjoyed MB Margaritaville once again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 am 

Hate that the ribs were taken off the menu. I love the atmosphere of the place, but I really don't like the menu options. Menu doesn't offer a lot of different options and hate they have gotten rid of another item. I dont live that far from pigeon forge, but dont like the idea of the restaurant opening there. Margaritaville should be reserved for beach towns. Pigeon Forge doesn't come close to having a beach type feel. Hope they dont over expand like Hard Rock, because people are not eating there because of food. Once the unique atmosphere of the place runs out they may have a short lifespan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 am 

Agreed, MBKY. They opened one in Cincinnati recently. While my love for the place has faded immensely, I'd still be willing to go to the ones in beach/tropical locations. You won't catch me sipping a cocktail or the like at Margaritaville in Chicago or some other snow laden metropolitan area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:15 am 

It's funny because you would expect the Margaritaville in Key West to be great and it is not. The one in Myrtle Beach is ten times better. The one in Key West sits on the main street (Duval), so not on the water. It is small, dark and often dirty. It is never very crowded - unlike the one at Broadway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:29 am 

You are so right about the abundance of certain themed restaurants taking away the appeal. Sort of off subject but I was a big fan of Five Guys when I had to drive 40 miles to Knoxville to go to one. A coupke of years ago they opened one five minutesfrom my housea d I rarely go to it. Explain that one!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:41 am 

beachlady, I'm the same way with Yeungling beer. couldn't get it in Ohio and I loved it. now that we can get it, I never drink it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 am 

I have always love Margaritaville, but the rest of my family is "meh" about it. True the food isn't that great, but I do love atmosphere. I do think this year I am going to skip it it all together and try to find new places.. maybe i'll try out the Landshark place!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 pm 

If you think Pigeon Forge is far from the beach, how about Las Vegas Blvd.?

When it opened there a number of years ago, after a 6 month delay, it became the busiest restaurant in the US, wait times were 5-7 hours or so.

Since opening they have expanded/added another 2 or 3 bar areas.

I very much like the atmosphere at the one at Broadway and will stop in at Happy Hour and get the Nacho's, the best value, but I am done having dinner there, just not worth the price.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 pm 

gary2beach wrote:
If you think Pigeon Forge is far from the beach, how about Las Vegas Blvd.?

When it opened there a number of years ago, after a 6 month delay, it became the busiest restaurant in the US, wait times were 5-7 hours or so.

Since opening they have expanded/added another 2 or 3 bar areas.

Gary

I remember when Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood had waits like that in MB. Even took an hour or more just to get inside the gift shops. I guess after going a couple of times, people finally figured out that the food quality didn't match the price. We skipped Margaritaville this year for the first time in four or five years. Actually wanted to go for the atmosphere but the quality/price factor just wasn't enough. The one in MB will always do pretty good because of people wanting the beach atmosphere. Don't really know how well the one in Pigeon Forge will do. Like MB, that area has a lot of food offerings, and a high priced burger might not do that good once the new wears off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 am 

So, we had never tried Margaritaville, every year, no matter which day or what time we went, there was always a super long wait. Well, this year, we got a late start one night and ended up at Broadway pretty late at night so we decided to try this place. It was about 10:00 pm and the hostess said they stay open til midnight, no worries. There were 8 of us, they said 15-20 minutes, so we waited.....and waited....and waited some more. 30 minutes go by and we start noticing that there were open tables everywhere, they just needed cleaned off. Hostesses were busy chowing down on some nachos (must have been nice) so we chanced interrupting their meal and they quickly got us seated upstairs. This should have been our first clue to just leave. But it was so late, we decided to stay. :BandHead: We opened the menu and I'm pretty sure I threw up a little when I saw the prices. I know it's a tourist trap, but come on!!! $10 for a scoop of kraft mac and cheese, no fries, no drink no nothing. :dontknow: Hubby says oh well, it's ok, what's one night? Let's splurge. Ok, so we order...4 kids meals (of said mac and cheese), 2 burgers, a chicken sandwich and the nachos mountain or whatever it's called (you know, the $30 appetizer :shock: ) Friend gets an adult beverage, which is delivered promptly. Well, we are gabbing, kids are enjoying the surroundings, got to watch the hurricane production, then it hits all of us just how long we have been waiting. We start looking around and realize that we are the only table in the restaurant. Still haven't seen our waiter...oh wait, there he goes...with his jacket on, leaving the building...what the ???!!! We still don't have our food, it's been an hour. Hubby goes looking for someone to see what the heck is going on. More wait staff go by us, on their way out.... I look over the balcony to catch a very animated discussion between a woman (determined later to be the manager, and I use that term loosely) and my husband. See a woman come walking out of the kitchen carrying a tray of food. Hubby is now yelling telling her we aren't about to take the food, we just want to leave. Apparently, our food had been sitting on the tray, ready to go, for over an hour. Noone bothered to deliver it or ask where it should go. Manager was going to serve us that nastiness. Then she threatened to call the police if we didn't pay for our drinks (8 people, 6 waters and 2 ice teas plus the mixed drink). Told her we weren't going to skip the check but after what had happened we felt that comping the drinks was the least they could do. Nope, they couldn't do that, she said it was state law. Fine, Paid the $20 tab (yep, that little drinkie was almost $15) and left. After midnight by this time, couldn't find anywhere open still serving food so had to stop by Kroger and grab some frozen pizzas to take back to the room and fix. Total disaster of a night. Needless to say, we will never be stopping by any of these establishments again. Only bad experience we have had like that in 17 years down there. Post note, after we got home both families tried to reach out to the corporate offices, we didn't want vouchers or free crap, we won't be going back.... just wanted them to be aware of what a mess that location is. They were very much not interested in hearing any of it. Apparently there are enough people willing to pay for the atmosphere that nothing else matters. Lesson learned I guess. We have long ago stopped going to the big tourist traps, especially once Planet Hollywood closed. We will stick with the tried and true places from now on!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Admin

I just read your review to Wally who is sitting behind me trying (unsuccessfully - my fault) to read his e-mail. We are both amazed and appalled by the way y'all were treated. That is simply unacceptable.

Yes, it's a tourist trap and wasn't built to ever become a "locals' favorite." Still.....I am surprised that some of these places are able to remain open. If other visitors go through a similar experience, I can't see it staying in business. I'm sorry you evening was so badly spoiled.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 am 

:shock: :shock: :sad:

Disgrace!!!!! I agree! They probably know enough people will pay and your one itty bitty complaint (in their eyes) just isn't worth the effort! SO SAD! I wouldn't go now just because of what happened to you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 am 

Sorry that happened. On the bright side you saved a lot of money by them not bringing that over priced crap to the table. We used to go for the "atmosphere" but when we finally realized it was our most expensive meal for the trip and it was only for kids meals and burgers, we took it off our list. Be sure to also post this on trip advisor if you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm 

I just had a discussion with some friends the other day on restaurant service. Not just in MB, but even here in Da Burgh. Every place has seem to gone downhill. Don't know if the corporate office just blows off teaching proper service of what??? I feel like it's a gamble anymore going out to eat.

Now, Margaritaville has been off my list since it opened. I remember it's first summer and the 4 hour waits people were being subject to. I have eaten at 2 others not in MB and was never impressed. I can assume one day something else will occupy that spot at Broadway as it loses it appeal.