Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Margaritaville
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 am 

We opted to do this for lunch on our arrival day. Needed to "kill time" anyways, and this way we could avoid the 2+ hour waits that they seem to have most nights. The kids really wanted to do this one.

We were able to be seated right away, right around noon. We were seated upstairs for the first time. Table wasn't great, right near the kitchen/server station, but oh well. No margaritas for us unfortunately. Dave developed some medical problems just a few weeks before we left and is currently on a "no alcohol, no spicy foods, no caffeine" diet for a few months. So you won't see any alcohol reviews from us this trip, I abstained as well, in "sympathy". LOL. But I did NOT abstain from caffeine, need my Diet Coke!!

I had my Diet Coke and Dave and the kids both ordered lemonades. I ordered the Volcano Nachos, kids both had chicken strips and Dave got the Cuban sandwich. The Nachos were, of course, HUGE. I knew that and planned to be taking them back to the condo for dinner, and lunches. They were good, not great, but good. Dave said the same about the Cuban. I was surprised he ordered that, I order that a lot, he's usually more of a burger guy. The kids enjoyed their meals just fine. The food is decent here, overpriced of course, but you really go for the "atmosphere". We really went for the kids :) They enjoyed watching the little show. Last time we were here, in 2008, the show wasn't quite so amusing....we had reservations for dinner, but ended up having to go for lunch because TS Ernesto was hitting and they were closing early, along with everything else. That being our first TS, we didn't know what to expect and I was quite nervous (it was all fine obviously).

I guess in summary...you know what you get when you come here. It is what it is! Hope that makes sense.

Post subject: Re: Margaritaville
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:45 pm 

The last time we went to Margaritaville (at least 4 years ago) we were sat upstairs too and didn't like it. There was no air flow at all so it was so hot up there.

Quote:
But I did NOT abstain from caffeine, need my Diet Coke!!

I'm with you there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 pm 

sandym718 wrote:
The kids enjoyed their meals just fine. The food is decent here, overpriced of course, but you really go for the "atmosphere

That's pretty much how we feel about Margaritaville also. It really is a nice way to open up beach week, but I don't really know if only atmosphere can really keep us going back. Food this year was average at best. I really don't like the menu a whole lot and trying to justify paying $70+ for three or four burgers and a couple of kids meals is just not worth it to me. May give somewhere different a try next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:59 pm 

We quit going there also. The food isn't good enough to spend that kind of money, & the last time we were there, we had an issue with the bathroom being one of the filthiest I have ever seen in my life. Five Guys has wonderful burgers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:09 pm 

Yikes, I didn't see the bathrooms! And I didn't notice being too hot upstairs either, maybe that's better now.

I'm with you all...if I never went back, I'd be fine. Once (in 2008) was enough for me. But I don't hate going either, so since the kids wanted to...I was fine with it.

Maybe next time I can talk them into something different!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 pm 

I am a big Margaritaville/Jimmy Buffett fan so always enjoy the atmosphere. The food is OK but not memorable. Sandy, I enjoyed your review. You mentioned in your main report about eating Nachos as leftovers for two meals after your visit to the restaurant. No one seems to rave about the food but the portions are always very large. You think they could improve the quality and reduce the quantity and maybe have happier customers. Probably not though as people want to see a lot for the money. On a completely different note, I live here in the Pigeon Forge, TN area. Just this past week it is in our news that a 400 seat Margaritaville has been approved for Gatlinburg, TN. I guess it will be nice having a Margaritaville so close (10 miles or so) but it just does not seem right. In my book Margaritaville needs to be at the beach not in the mountains!!