Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P.F. Chang's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:04 am 

A few weeks ago I predicted that when P.F. Chang's China Bistro opened in the Market Common, it would become the most popular restaurant in Myrtle Beach on the first day.

I don't know if there's an objective way to measure that, but Charlotte was returning from a business trip to NJ last Friday night and asked if I would stop by Changs on the way to the airport to put our name on the list. When I got to Market Common, there was no place to park. I had to circle the parking lot at Piggly Wiggly for 15 minutes until I could follow an old couple out of the store to their car to get their parking slot.

When I got into the restaurant (at 6:30) I was told the wait was 3 hours. Obviously that wasn't going to work. I asked if they took reservations. They said they took a limited number of reservations daily but they were already booked for Saturday night as well. We had friends staying with us for the next 4 days so I made a reservation for 4 for Sunday night. The earliest reservation they had was 8:30 PM.

The four of us arrived at 8:15 PM on Sunday night and we still had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. They had never been to a Changs so they had no previous experience there. I've been to them constantly over the last two years so I knew exactly what to expect.

We started with the chicken lettuce wraps. These are leaves of lettuce wrapped around spiced chicken, green onions, water chestnuts, black mushrooms, rice sticks, sesame oil, garlic, minced chicken sauce. I'm not a big "wrap" type guy, but I tried this for the first time at the Orlando location in February and I couldn't wait to get back to a Changs JUST to chow down on these. Our friends, Bob and Dee, couldn't get enough of them. They were incredibly good.

For our entrees, which they serve family-style, we ordered the Orange Peel Chicken, which is marinated chicken, potato starch, chili oil, dried orange peel, garlic, green onions, Kung Pao sauce, and sichuan sauce. Next was the Mongolian Beef, which is probably my favorite thing on their menu. It consists of marinated beef, dark sauce, garlic, green onion sticks, sesame oil, and sugar. It just absolutely melts in your mouth. We finished with Pork Lo Mein, which is marinated pork, bean sprouts, black mushrooms, sesame oil, bok choy, carrots, celery, dark sauc, egg noodles, garlic, green onion sticks, and yellow onions. To die for. And lastly was the Beef Fried Rice, which again was just perfect.

Because we had eaten earlier in the day, we turned down probably the best part of any meal at Chang's -- the Great Wall of Chocolate. I NEVER miss an opportunity to take down one of those but in order to prevent my body from ballooning up to 400 lbs., I tried to exercise a little self control. You should do nothing of the sort.

I've heaped mounds of praise on other Chang's locations before in anticipation of this franchise arriving at Market Common. I can't say enough about the new restaurant. The service was impeccable and the food was sensational.

I'm not budging from my original statement. The place is jammed every night. We're taking the entire family there on Sunday to give most of them their first experience at Chang's. I'm sure I'll be helping to create the next generation of Chang-lovers sure to keep this place hopping for the next 20 years.

If you have only a week in Myrtle Beach this year, call the week before and make a reservation at P.F. Chang's China Bistro. It'll be the eating highlight of your vacation. Trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:16 am 

After Leo's post several weeks ago my son (who is a huge oriental food fan) and I tried Chang's in Chattanooga. Needless to say we will return!The food was excellent and I can't wait to go back with Doug. I have to admit that I didn't turn down the Great Wall Of Chocolate, but I did share. :lol: That has to account for a few pounds...

Thanks Leo!
Deanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:16 am 
Site Admin

First time we've eaten here and we loved it!! I especially liked my Schezuan Marys :drinkin: . Eddie had the egg drop soup with the dynamite shrimp(very spicy). Since the restaurant is a family sytle dining experience, we shared four dishes plus a free lo mein dish. Food was excellent and very plentiful. Phyllis just had to order the great wall of chocolate which we could not finish(she's have the rest for breakfast right now :ac15[1]: ). I'm not a big fan off Chinese Buffets so thing experience was really nice for a change. But it's not cheap since our portion of the bill was $88 before the $18 tip.

Post subject: Re: P.F. Chang's
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

I've lost count of the number of times we've been to this restaurant, but it remains one of our top favorites for both lunch and dinner. If you plan on going, do yourself a favor and order the Warrior Card from the website. Using it saves 10%, plus they have other specials from time to time if you're on their mailing list.
http://www.pfchangs.com/
Also, don't forget to make reservations. The last time we went (with reservations) we still had to wait about 10 minutes, but the wait time for walk-ins was 2 hours.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 pm 

Thank you Patrish for the info. I just signed up for a Warrior card. This fall we will be on a tighter budget than normal during the three months we will be back and forth. Any discount at a top choice restaurant like PF Changs is definitely appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:12 am 

The Warrior Card discount is also good during PF Chang's Happy Hour !

http://www.pfchangs.com/Menu/HappyHour.aspx

Make sure you schedule "Nap Hour" afterwards......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:18 am 

I'm going to the PF Changs near me for a birthday dinner this weekend. I don't know, the menu just doesn't excite me very much. Maybe I'm just missing something though. What's really good?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 pm 

The lettuce wraps are delish! And, so are any of the lunch bowls and desserts :)

Firebird Inn on my honeymoon in '84
Water's Edge in Garden City many years!
Horizon East '06 and '07 (they allow pets)
Private beach house or condo in Garden City '08, '09, '10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 pm 

KirkG wrote:
The Warrior Card discount is also good during PF Chang's Happy Hour !

http://www.pfchangs.com/Menu/HappyHour.aspx

Make sure you schedule "Nap Hour" afterwards......

Kirk - Just curious if you tried to use it during Happy Hour? The Warrier Card FAQ's on the site say you can't use it with other special offers.

http://www.pfchangs.com/warriorcard/

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 am 

Hi Jan -

We frequently use our card at PF Changs in Annapolis, MD during happy hour. Maybe our servers don't read the "fine print", but Jan (my wife) did ask the bartender and she said "no worries !" :dontknow:

As for favorites... Leo nails ours in his review. The Dynamite Shrimp are also good, similar to Bonefish's Bang-Bang Shrimp.

Enjoy !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:47 pm 

Thanks for the info on the 'Warrior Card'.

My daughter has never been to one and is dying to go to PF Changs on one of her visits up to the beach with us and 10% discount will help!

The first place I ever had fried green beans was PF Changs in Columbus, OH... and they are delish!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:23 pm 

KirkG wrote:
Hi Jan -

We frequently use our card at PF Changs in Annapolis, MD during happy hour. Maybe our servers don't read the "fine print", but Jan (my wife) did ask the bartender and she said "no worries !" :dontknow:

That's good to know. My card is on it's way :nanner:

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:18 am 

Patrish, thanks for the info re the Warrior Card. They are very speedy once you request one as I got mine in the mail today. Looking forward to being in Myrtle Beach the better part of Oct. through Dec. It looks like if we will have to make about 7 roundtrips from TN to take care of business, etc. during that period. It's worth it!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:47 am 

Okay, so I went to the PF Changs near me over the weekend. It was pretty good. The lettuce wraps far exceeded my expectations - they were really good. I'm not sure I "loved" it, but it was certainly yummy, and very reasonably priced. The great wall of chocolate was certainly worth the trip!