Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yamato
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:57 am 

Oct 17th: Went to Yamato .I went with my son, so I paid my own way which was $14.00. I've seen the "show" before, and nothing has changed, and neither has the food. Also, we had my 3 year old grandson with us and he was hungry! Ever try to tell a 3 year old he can't eat? It isn't pleasant! I asked the waitress for a cracker, a piece of bread or anything he could nibble on and they didn't have any of it.

Last edited by Lou on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:30 am 

Went to Yamato's last night - a great, great dining EXPERIENCE!

We have passed by the place many times on our past trips to MB and BATB. Just thought a couple of weeks ago that the boys (ages 7 and 9) might be old enough now to enjoy the whole "show" and the menu as well.

If you are afraid of "different" food - you really don't need to be afraid of this. You essentially choose from some traditional fine dining items like steak - chicken - shrimp - scallops - and lobster. It's "how" it is prepared, and served, that is the whole "Japanese" experience.

Now, it's a tad expensive, but not unlike a fancy restaraunt, but it's not a fancy restaraunt dress up event either. They will take you as you are - a tourist (or local) BATB shopper.

We showed up at 3:30 - not having had lunch and hoping to avoid the Easter Saturday dinner crowd. We then saw a sign on the door that read "CLOSED". We were very dissapointed - until I read the small print that said they don't open until 4:30. I did see they were taking reservations though, so I popped my head in the door and asked. They replied that "they were all booked for the evening." And then she didn't say anything. So I replied with, "so that means we can't eat here tonight?" To which she replied, "oh no, you can", and then stared at me. To which I replied, "um, ok, how do we do that? To which she replied "Just come back later, we're not open now."
:BandHead:

I finally got it out of her that we needed to come back as walk-ins. I left.

Did a bit of shopping and about 4:15 I had my wife check in to see if maybe they were taking names for a seating list. They were. We went in and sat in the "lobby" and listened to the two hostesses complain about their fellow workers and blah blah blah. Don't hire idiot teen girls to be the face of your establishment.

EVERTHING ELSE WAS WONDERFUL THOUGH!!!!!!!

We ended up getting sat right away. If you haven't ever been to something like this - it's a VERY different experience! Even how they sit you. We sat at a grill table, us in a "U" shape - our family on the right, another family of 4 on the left, and a family of 3 in the middle. Our "server" came and took drink orders, brought them, I had a Sapporo beer - Amy had a glass of Cabernet, and then she took all of our dinner oders - the boys had "Kids" NY Strip - Amy Filet and Chicken, I had Filet,Shrimp, and Scallops. We also ordered a Sushi appetizer.

The cook/comedian/martial artist arrived and began the show, and what a show it was! He was one of the few cooks that really did the big flame thing - in fact our server said he's kind of crazy with the flame - our boys loved it to say the least. Very fun to watch his planing for everyone's meals - because he cooks everyone's at the same time! Then he portions them out and plates them - a free, shrinp taster for everyone first, then veggies, then rice - then meats according to what you have and what gets done first.

Everything tasted so good. Great dippng sauces too.

Bottom line: A great EXPERIENCE - especially for kids! If they will eat somewhat different things than McNuggets - give this a try. It IS expensive - a $100 evening for us 4 - but that included an appetizer and large beer and glass of wine and tip. But you pay for the show, and a neat one at that!

I meantioned to Amy that, in the travel mags at the hotels, they should put Yamoto's under "Attractions" - not "Dinning".

Highly recommend it - we will be back next time for sure. And with a reservation!

2002 - Compass Cove
2003 - Coral Beach
2004 - Sand Dunes
2006 - LongBay
2007 - Ocean Reef
2008 - Long Bay
2009 - Island Vista
2010 - Island Vista (April)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:17 am 

yamato's sounds just like Benihana - http://www.benihana.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 am 

Ron - the portions were great. I managed to get it all down - but we brought leftovers back to the hotel too - speaking of which, might make a great breakfast right now!

There was pleanty to eat!

2002 - Compass Cove
2003 - Coral Beach
2004 - Sand Dunes
2006 - LongBay
2007 - Ocean Reef
2008 - Long Bay
2009 - Island Vista
2010 - Island Vista (April)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

Ron,

The whole trip was surreal. The Japanese are known for their lavish entertainment. The amount of $$$ spent on us was unreal. This restaurant was on the 33rd floor of the Anna Hotel, Tokyo with spectacular views of Tokyo. We could see for miles.

There are more reasonably priced places to eat, but every company we met with took us to very exclusive restaurants. Japanese Kobe beef is without a doubt the finest beef you could ever eat. The cows are hand massaged every day and fed sake to drink. The meat is so tender and marbleized it appears pink in color. It literally melts in your mouth!

I have tried Kobe style beef in the US, but it is nothing like the real thing in Japan. I could go on and on about the food, it was very different but very good.

MichaelB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:20 am 

We ate there last month. Same good food and service as before. Husband and Grandson got the NY Strip Steak and I had the shrimp. Food was plentiful. All three of us had iced tea. Cost was $62 not including tip.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:10 pm 

This blog hasn't had any posts since July 2008, so need to comment.

Bob and I and another couple from our resort enjoyed a great meal and terrific entertainment last Tuesday at Yamato. Yes, it was quite pricey but worth every penny. Being January, we did not need a reservation, we arrived around 5:15 p.m., not too many people there yet but it did fill up a little later, so if you're visiting in the busier months, make reservations or you might be disappointed. Waiter was excellent with the pyrotechnics, the food selection was wonderful (steak/chicken/lobster/shrimp/scallops, alone or in combo) in abundance with plenty of rice and vegies. Meals are all inclusive with soup, salad, and sherbet dessert. Would go back to Yamato again for a special occasion. Also, as we finished our meal, fireworks went off in the lake behind the restaurant. Being our friend's birthday, this made everything so special for her as well as the rest of us.

Diane

Post subject: Re: Yamato
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yamato's is one of our favorite must do restaurants. I am getting tired of lack luster chefs that seem like it's a burden cooking for everyone. But the food is still very tasty. Why does all of the extra rice go to the fattest person at the table :oops: . A shame because I ate very little rice since it's not on my diet menu. One note though, you can ask for mustard sauce and hot sauce for dipping, especially if you have beef. I found the mustard ok, but the hot sauce was yummy! Again, great place to take kids!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 am 

My family and I love hibachi restaurants and we're definitely interested in going to one while we're down here in September.

Has anyone eaten here recently and if so was it still as great as the posts above me say? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:35 am 

Not recently, but we did eat there a few years ago and it was great. We would go back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 am 

We ate their in July and it was the best meal of the trip! We have eaten there numerous time and it never disappoints.

Scott