Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:19 pm 

This is a letter that I sent to Thorny’s headquarters:

On August 17, 2007, while vacationing at Myrtle Beach, my family and I had dinner at the 600 Hwy. 17 location. I was immediately impressed with the decor and my grandchildren loved the play area. Our problems began after ordering. My husband was served a salad with the wrong dressing. Our tea glasses were refilled with cola--twice! At one point the server took one of our glasses and didn't return with it until we asked for it. I ordered 2 of the Little Thorny Meals for my grandchildren. The menu stated: Served in a Frisbee! All Kids Meals Include Fries, Drink and Ice Cream. No frisbees and two disappointed kids. We had to ask for the ice cream. At the end of our meal, the server asked if everything was satisfactory. I politely asked to speak to the manager. The manager came over and I explained what had happened. He went to check on the frisbees, came back and informed me they were out. I asked why his servers were not informing parents of this when these meals were ordered. At this point he simply informed me that I wasn't the only parent that had been disappointed. He made no attempt whatsoever to substitute anything in its place--not even a sticker. He didn't even offer to adjust the price of the meals. So I paid full price for two meals in which I did not receive the full value. This manager, in failing to address this situation in a professional manner, has exhibited shameful customer service! I will not patronize Thorny's in the future. I assure you I will share my experience with every restaurant review forum available. By the way, I had to ask for our bill. The server never returned to collect my money, so I had to ask the hostess to take my money. Never again!

Sandy Beach Resort Aug 2010
Captain's Quarters Aug 2007
Pier View Summer 1984
Few times as a child

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:27 am 
Site Admin

I am so sorry to hear about your experience at Thorny's. Even during the busiest time of year for a restaurant, there is absolutely no excuse for the unsatisfactory service your family received.

I hope you will hear from Thorny Headquarters. I searched to see if they are members of the Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce, but they are not. You might want to add the two URLs below to your complaint list.

www.my3cents.com/

Please let us know what happens.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Last edited by patrish on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 am 

Sorry to hear about your bad time, but I'm glad that you are doing something about it. Too many times I have seen people have a bad time somewhere, but not want to complain about it. The only way businesses can learn and change is if they know what is going on.

Another site to check out is www.planetfeedback.com they let you write a complaint letter (or compliment, suggestion, etc.) and will forward it to a contact within the company you are writing too.

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ctmorris
http://www.RisingPhoenixHealthandFitness.com

Oct. 2003, 2004 - Caribbean Resort
Oct. 2005 - Breaker's Paradise Tower
April 2006 - Crown Reef
December 2006 - Landmark Resort
August 2007 - Dayton House
November 2008 - Monteray Bay
April 2015 - BayView on the Boardwalk
Oct 2016 - Bay Watch Resort NMB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:42 pm 

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

We had an absolute terrible experience at Crabby Mikes in 2000, and like you, we will never step foot in that restaurant. The manager actually defended his incompetent waitress. He asked her if what we said was true on her poor service, and she denied it all. I told him we would not be back. He looked at us and said my staff are trained, it's customers like you that I don't need. Just look outside at the wait, plenty of people want to be here - Goodbye!

When we left there, as I'm sure you felt when you left your restaurant, we felt cheated. I spent alot of money for a meal, that I was just upset about. It spoiled the whole evening. Vacations are to be fun, good food, fun times, etc.

Hey, there are plenty of other good restaurants to enjoy out there the next time!

Ocean Isle Beach, with visits to MB
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008 AND 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:29 pm 

Thorny's Steakhouse
(600 Hwy 17)
PO Box 7009
Myrtle Beach, SC 29572
(843) 448-2333
www.thornys.com

9/19 around 8pm

This was a very exciting day at our rental (Juicy details to come in trip report not yet posted) and we had waited all day & almost all night for the owner to show up. By the time we had gone over paperwork, we were starving and went to Thorny's for dinner. It was now after 8pm.

This was another restaurant on our list of places to try.
We even tried it a 2nd time, which turned out to be our 3rd b/c we started remembering decorations & then pieces started fitting together & we realized we had eaten there a couple years ago.

(2) Ribeye
(1) sirloin
(3) beverages
$62.58 w/out gratuity.

Of all the places we dined out, (excluding Hot Stacks) Thorny's is our pooch's preferance. One thing we've learned about our dog's eating habits, don't eat food he doesn't eat. This non stick oil that comes in a can, he doesn't like it and he refuses to eat food fixed w/ this spray. This spray also upsets my husband's stomach, so when we eat someplace new, our dog is the 1st to try the food.

Thorny's receives a a thumbs up from all of us and it's the only other restaurant we remain seated until we finished all of our food.

We did eat there again last week but honestly, I do not remember anything and can not find the ticket. Not remembering is a good thing b/c I have a tendency to remember bad food and bad service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 pm 

We ate at Thorny's this past Wednesday. We arrived at about 4:45pm and had about a 15 minute wait. My wife and mother-in-law got the Queen Cut Prime Rib with salad and baked potato ($18.99). I had the Early Bird special and got Steak Tips, which also came with salad and baked potato ($8.99). The kids both ordered from the kids menu, one getting Steak Tips and baked potato, the other got a Cheeseburger and fries.

The ladies were very happy with the Prime Rib, and the Steak Tips were plenty for me and cooked just right. My daughters medium-well Steak Tips were a bit overdone, but not chewy. Overall everyone was happy with their meal, and the kids were too stuffed to even eat their ice cream that came with the kids meal. The kids enjoyed the TVs at the table as well as the frisbee that served as their dinner platter. The yeast rolls were also delicious.

One minor complaint is that we did have to ask for a refill on our drinks after the waiter visited the table twice with most of our glasses near empty and not noticing. We were also glad that we arrived early, because it really got packed while we were waiting and looked like a very long wait as we left.

Total bill for 3 adults and 2 children was $75 + tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:11 am 

We ate at Thorny's last night and everything was excellent. We arrived around 4:15pm and were seated immediately. Our waitress came right to the table and took our drink orders...both ice tea.

Hubby ordered 12oz NY Strip with loaded fries and I had the Fried Seafood Platter with Shrimp, Oysters and Scallops with steamed vegs. The salads were fresh and rather large and the bread was very good.

When we got our meals, my hubby's steak was done just as he had ordered and he said that it had a really good flavor. My plate was HUGE. I didn't think they could put that much seafood on one plate but they did. Everything tasted great and was cooked just right. Needless to say, I now have some leftovers in the refrig for today.

Our entire bill was $56 including the tip which I felt wasn't bad for the amount and quality of food we had. I would recommend Thorny's as a great place to eat for either steaks or seafood.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm 

We visited Thorny's again this year and were again very pleased with our meal. We got in a little later this time, around 5:30PM, and were told it was a 30 minute wait. We got seated in about 10 minutes, so we were already happy. The place was packed but we had no problems with the service at all. It sounds weird and not something you'd expect at the beach, but their potato soup is excellent. The ladies got prime rib again, and loved it. I opted for the sirloin and grilled shrimp. It was the best sirloin I've had in a long time and the shrimp were perfectly seasoned.

Good food with TVs and atmosphere to keep the kids happy has made this a must-visit for us every time we come to MB.

Breakers June 2014
Breakers June 2013
Breakers June 2012
Breakers June 2011
Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:33 am 

In re-reading MarineMom's review, hopefully Thorny's management took it to heart.

Visited Thorny's a few times during our many trips and agree the Prime Rib is top-notch. For Happy Hour, Thorny’s does an interesting “blackened” wing which wing-aficionados should try. And their fried pickles are actually full dill spears, versus the slices which a lot of places serve, with light breading which was tasty. Happy hour beers were 3.00 for a pint of domestic draft (including Sam Adams) and happy hour apps were 3.99. May need to check, but I recall happy hour prices are only good in the bar.

As others have said, Thorny's is VERY kid-friendly. Also agree the service can be borderline, so be prepared. We asks for refills and the check as soon as the meals are served, etc.... sad, but we accept it as the nature of service in a beach-town. The time we were there off-season we had great service. The benefit of being the only ones in the restaurant !