Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carolina Roadhouse
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm 

This was our first try for this place. It was very good as well with a similar menu and taste as the sister restaurant California Dreaming. I did like the atmosphere a bit better. It seemed a lot more open and brighter. Will visit again on our next trip.

Post subject: Re: Carolina Roadhouse
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 pm 

One of our favorite places. July can't get here soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:02 pm 

The Roadhouse is the better of their concepts and the salad is the best I have ever had, although Gulf Stream is better and pricier.

Smile

Gary

"If half a century of living has taught me anything at all,
it has taught me that nothing can bring you peace but yourself."
- Dale Carnegie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am 

Thanks for the review. We'll be trying the Roadhouse for the first time during our visit this August.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 am 

I'm probably the voice of dissension...I didn't care for it. I didn't think it lived up to the hype. The salad was ok, I guess, I don't remember it being anything, well, memorable, the service was slow and I felt packed in like a sardine. Please don't flame me, just think there are better places for us to try next time.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am 

Thanks for the dissension Lisa.... always appreciate all feedback. It can definitely be crowded/busy during just about every season... as evident by the wait-times. We normally go after 8p to avoid the crowds, but not a great option with kids. We always get prime rib, which we find very good.

Just received a coupon for a free App on Father's Day.... only valid on Fathers Day. Anyone interested, PM me your email address and I will forward.

Enjoy !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:33 pm 

Lisa, I may agree with you due to the fact I don;t go there during the season, as it is too busy, servers are not the happiest (although they should be, they make $150 a night and up)
the kitchen is rushed, but this happens when you have people waiting an hour or more to get in and management is jumping on you to turn the tables.

Look at my past posts, I have said Sept and Oct are the best months, not just weather wise but for the food and service, it does get better once the season is over.

That's another reason why you will see reviews for a place and there are some very good ones and bad ones, same kitchen, servers, cooks, management, it's the crowd and hustle that makes things not work smooth, from the front to the back of the house.

It's not like working a very good restaurant in a place like Vegas where it may be extremly busy 10 months of the year as compared to 2.

I will leave the restaurant nameless but it was nominated as a top 10 this year, it is on the water, and becasue of the rating and all their advertising mentioning their top 10 inclusion, they have been very busy early this year, they had an inspection last month and received a 66 or so, food on the floor, fridge's over 45 degrees, roaches running over clean plates and flies in the food, all kinds of crazy stuff, the return inspection was better but did not even make 90, nough said.

Gary

"Each morning we are born again. What we do
today is what matters most."
~Buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:35 pm 

I posted about that roach restaurant. I also posted a link to the health dept report on Amici's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:55 pm 

pitsypits wrote:
I'm probably the voice of dissension...I didn't care for it. I didn't think it lived up to the hype. The salad was ok, I guess, I don't remember it being anything, well, memorable, the service was slow and I felt packed in like a sardine. Please don't flame me, just think there are better places for us to try next time.

I agree we tried it a few times but were not really impressed. we find better seafood at Biminis and better beef and ribs at Chucks But Chucks has its off days also. Biminis never fails to please!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:46 pm 

The hubby and I eat there at least once a trip. It is not the best food ever, but I like the atmosphere. (It's very dark, I look better in the dark.) We usually eat late and we usually travel in September, so the crowd is not the issue. I do like the salads and I have liked most of the food I've had. I did not care for their version of Oyster's Rockefeller - is was a little chewy oyster covered some their creamed spinach...which is the consisitancy of spin dip. Just little spoonfulls of goo with something chewy in the middle. :shock:

When we were there in 2009 we had an awesome server! He was very honest about things he did and didn't like on the menu and his comments were right on - you don't see that much in food service, particularly at a chain. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:45 pm 

Sorry for any typo's have a 20 pound cat sitting on my lap, too lazy to do in word and spellcheck!

Carolina Roardhouse always a staple, at least twice while on vacation for eat in or take out. Call ahead seating works well. Keep in mind in MB for 2 weeks begining Saturday after Labor Day so less crowded overall.

Different story for Carolina Dreaming in NMB, a "sister" restaurant. Only went once, will not go back.
Do not think quality of steaks up to par with CR, and staff was rude. This was 3rd week of September, later in the evening with no crowd.
Weird, much different story at the CD in Surfside. No issues there.

Sorry, though not very kind, too many restaurants in MB to try to want to go back for a second chance.

Theresa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:53 pm 

Arrived at ~8pm and saw a boat-load of people out front. Was told a 20 minute wait, but was only about 10…

Seated at a nice booth, and we immediately knew what to order.. Prime Rib ! Jan got the mega-cut so we could have leftovers. Salads were awesome (love their house dressing), and the honey-drizzled croissants were as light and flaky as ever. The Prime Rib was very tasty, but not quite as tender as I remember.

The ambiance in the center dining room was loud due to the crowd… On previous trips we were always seated in the side areas so never noticed the background din. Service was friendly and speedy. Rounded out dinner with a piece of Key Lime Pie… incredible stuff. Very powerful and a little denser than we expected (similar to a cheesecake), but the taste was sensational. More than enough for 2 people. Total with one glass of wine was ~$60 before tip.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 am 

For those arriving into town late.... Carolina Roadhouse has a new late-night (after 10p) menu in the bar:

4.95 each:

Shrimp Po'Boy
BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Club Sandwich
Wings
1/2 Rack Ribs
House Salad
Chili Cheese Fries
Nachos
Burger
Hot Dog w/Cole Slaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 pm 

Made our first visit to Carolina Roadhouse last week on a whim. Food was excellent, but a little pricey (steaks range from $20- $30 each). Our daughter insisted on a steak, but didn't want her salad. Our son wanted a seafood platter, but also didn't want his salad. SO, the wife and I each ordered BBQ sandwiches and ate the salads from our kids' entree's.

Everything was delicious, and the salad may have been the highlight of the trip. I'm usually a "blue cheese" dressing kind of guy, but I let the waitress talk me into the house dressing (honey mustard and hot bacon). It was PERFECT with the salad, and the crescent roll really complimented the salad.

Our daughter's steak was cooked perfectly, and our BBQ sandwiches were the best barbecue we've had in Myrtle. I had the beef, which had a dark, sweet sauce, and my wife had the chicken, which had a lighter sauce. Both sandwiches were too big for us!

Our son didn't realize that his seafood platter came fried, so he really didn't like it too much. I traded my BBQ sandwich to him, which he really loved. I finishe his fried seafood platter, which was pretty typical of any fried seafood place. I really don't like fried seafood, so I cannot rate them on that, as it all pretty much tastes like Long John Silvers to me.

Anyway, we thought the food was excellent and the portions were huge. And while the individual prices of meals seems a bit high, you do get a ton of food. If we go back, I think the four of us could definitely share 2 meals. And it would certainly be worth going back just for the salad.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm 

Ok, everyone talks about this place so we decided to check it out. We arrived early on a Friday evening (just before 5:00) and avoided the crowd that came soon after. My husband ordered beer (not a very good selection). Then we started off with calamari and croissants. My husband, loved the croissants. I'm not so fond of the honey butter on top, but they were still delicious! Then my husband had the prime rib and baked potato (& 2 beers) and I had the grilled salmon salad and water. The total was $61 before tip. Very nice place and very good food, but with all the restaurants on the Grand Strand, I doubt we'd make a second trip here. Too many restaurants....too little time!
Angela