Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pizza In Ohio?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 am 

Since I live in Ohio and the only other place I can think of I have eaten pizza...is MB...what are the reviews for pizza lovers (if any) ..... I know many have stated they do NOT like UCP....which my family loves, but our only other options here in SW Ohio is Domino's ,,,LaRosa's,,,Pizza Hut & Cassano's!.... None of which compare to UCP in MB. Those of you who do NOT like/care for UCP what chains or local pizza do you have that is much much better?
Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:51 am 

Brenda:

The "ultimate" pizza for us in the Dayton area is Marion's. It's worth the drive up I-75 just to try it. There is one on Kingsridge Drive behind the Dayton Mall. It is similar to Cassano's but, in our opinion, MUCH better! If you want more info, just send me a PM.

Vicki

Post subject: Pizza in Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 am 

I had to chuckle at your message because my sister moved from NE Ohio to SW Ohio -- Lebanon and previously her kids had moved from NE Ohio to Cincy area and were "shocked" at the pizza selection. They've since found a place or two they like, but nothing like what they'd order from Parma, Cleveland & even Wooster, where I live. It's a tricky topic here on the board. Not to offend anyone here or MB lovers everywhere, but I thought the UCP we had when in MB was abyssmal. Hence my post about Georgio's, wondering what it is like.

I don't like most of the pizza chains. Yes, I'm a pizza snob. I admit it, I wear the badge with honor! If I eat chain pizza, its out of necessity or because I'm in a hurry. PapaJohns, Pizza Hut, blech! Dominos "Brooklyn style" is tolerable to me. I'm just used to the pizzerias we have here where they are shouting Italian to each other in the kitchen and they come out and pinch my daughters cheeks and say "il mio piccolo tesoro" or something like that! :lol: I'm not a fast food aficionado either. I was raised by a mom who made everything homemade. I'm spoiled rotten, food-wise.

I will definitely have to pass along Vicki's suggestion to them, though.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59 pm 

LOL, Lisa - Parma has the best pizza!!! Born and raised there. Antonio's girl all the way!! My parents were/are big fans of Marsella's, which was right around the corner from us, but I never cared for it much. We're in Valley City now, but there's Antonio's in Strongsville so that's not too far. It's not the same as the old Snowville Antonio's though (or the main rest. in Parma). If you're familiar with the area - I went to Holy Name so Snowville Antonio's was THE hangout! Now it moved across the street. Also enjoyed Mama Mia's.

We do Samoskey's - right in Valley City- a good bit. They don't deliver, though.

Back to chain stuff - I wasn't overwhelmed with UCP either. If we go chain here, we usually get Pizza Pan. It's cheap and it's really not bad. Just found out a place called Tommy's in Strongsville will deliver to us (we've been without delivery in our area for a few years since one place closed), so we'll be trying that.

Post subject: Re: Pizza In Ohio?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:20 pm 

BJ wrote:
Since I live in Ohio and the only other place I can think of I have eaten pizza...is MB...what are the reviews for pizza lovers (if any) ..... I know many have stated they do NOT like UCP....which my family loves, but our only other options here in SW Ohio is Domino's ,,,LaRosa's,,,Pizza Hut & Cassano's!.... None of which compare to UCP in MB. Those of you who do NOT like/care for UCP what chains or local pizza do you have that is much much better?
Brenda

I am not a huge UCP fan myself. I am a New York Stlye pizza guy and not a huge fan of the sauce.

Post subject: Lisa....and others....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:28 am 

Maybe regarding pizza.... My problem is...altho I do like UCP...I do not care for most other chain pizza !!! I am a home grown...and a good home grown cook....but I really do like UCP. I just do not care for any other pizza! Give me anything else to cook...or try to cook or eat....and I can probably go it 1 better ... :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 pm 

Kitty thanks for the plug of Marion's in Dayton.The pizza was excellent !
We went to the one on North Dixie. It's the first time i ever pulled into a pizza parking lot and there were 40 cars there and that's the only business located there.I told my wife it has to be good for that many people to be here. There were 10 of us and 6 large loaded (13') pizzas was $88. drinks were $30.The best thing was its a CASH only business and i'm a CASH only person ( Finally I proved to my wife Cash is nice to have around ).After there panic about how to pay for dinner settled down i told my wife i have this green stuff in my billfold i think they will accept. Please turn the heat down for next years air show.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:41 am 

I will definitely have to tell them about Marion's. Sounds like our places here. They open at 5 and at 5:05 there's a 2 hour wait on pizza and the the parking lots are packed.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:03 pm 

Glad you enjoyed Marion's pizza. All of their locations are just a busy as the one on North Dixie. Very busy any night of the week. It's a place where a lot of people go for birthday parties, ball team parties, anniversary parties, etc. We even had my daughter's wedding rehersal dinner there! Sorry it was so hot for the Air Show! Hope you'll give it another try next year!

Vicki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 pm 

We attend the air show every year and come up a day early to go to the air museum.It still amazes me that its free.Marions may become part of that yearly trip know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:51 am 

Thought I'd give you a heads up that next years show will be July 7th & 8th with the Blue Angels performing.

Vicki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:42 am 

I'm an Ohioan also, and I make my own pizza's. I'm located in Gallipolis and all we have are fast pizza places. Papa Johns just opened a place here but we haven't tried it. There sure are a lot of us Ohioans on the MB board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 pm 

Pizza Crossing in Logan and Lancaster Ohio! Yum!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 am 

Lisa, I have to agree with you that NE Ohio does have a much better pizza selection. My grandparents are originally from the area and we always get pizza from 1 of 2 places now (the third just closed). But I do not know of any other places that have pizza like that. Nicks in Wellsville and Brunos in Calcutta as Orlando's in East Liverpool just closed.

I think I am one of the few Dayton people that is not a fan of Marions. I will go if everyone else wants to but to me, it is nothing special. And being cash only actually is a deterrent for me to make a case against it so I don't have to go to an ATM first. My favorite's in Dayton for pizza (in no particular order) are Dewey's, Little York Pizza, and a couple of small bars (Trish's and Jackass Flats). Others I know tend to like Milanos and Hoagies as well for pizza. The rest are mainly chains, both national and regional. If I get delivery, it is usually Cassanos.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:08 am 

I agree with you.