Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gem City Pizza
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm 

We tried the new Gem City Pizza in Myrtle Beach this past Monday - based on this review and recommendation by my friend (and local food critic) Becky Billingsley:

http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.co ... pizza.html

All I can say is, I am GLAD we were seated when we took our first bites - it's THAT good. In our opinions, PERFECT - a style and taste we certainly miss from "up north".

I've posted before in some previous restaurant remarks here about Italian sauce: it should be RED - NOT brown, green, etc. This (bright red and VERY fresh-tasting) sauce - and the crust, cheese, and toppings, are EXACTLY as Becky described in her review.

They have a variety of regular or specialty pizzas, or you can choose your own toppings from a quite extensive list. We chose pepperoni, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and I believe 1 or 2 others - here is a photo of what we received (we ate some, and took the rest home to make a few MORE meals of it):

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... G_3676.jpg

Gem City Pizza itself is quite easy to find - right at the northwest intersection of Kings Highway/Business Rt 17 and the very end of Rt 501, directly across from the former Pavilion. Here are a few photos of the outside and inside:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... G_3658.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... G_3659.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... G_3672.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... G_3677.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... G_3665.jpg

Post subject: Re: Gem City Pizza
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:16 am 

Wow! That does look like one good pizza.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 am 

Thanks for the review, and especially the pictures. That pizza looks really good. We'll definitely give it a try on our visit in August.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 pm 
Forum Support

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gem-City-Pizza/

^
More pictures at their Facebook page.

Adding this to the list of places to eat. Thanks! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 am 

I also know Becky, she 1st interviewed me back around 99 or so, so I have been wanting to go here since reading her review.

Went there yesterday and the pizza looks just like the pictures Mike posted, we had onions, peppers, mushrooms and sausage, base pizza (a tray) is $20 and toppings are $1.50 each, so this came out to be one very expensive pizza for 16 little squares.

I talked with AJ and Scott two of the 3 owners and they are very personable guys and now I was really looking forward to digging in, let's just say I will not be back.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm 

gary2beach wrote:
I also know Becky, she 1st interviewed me back around 99 or so, so I have been wanting to go here since reading her review.

Went there yesterday and the pizza looks just like the pictures Mike posted, we had onions, peppers, mushrooms and sausage, base pizza (a tray) is $20 and toppings are $1.50 each, so this came out to be one very expensive pizza for 16 little squares.

I talked with AJ and Scott two of the 3 owners and they are very personable guys and now I was really looking forward to digging in, let's just say I will not be back.

Gary

I hate to admit it, but the Little Ceasers deep dish has killed any chance of me ever spending that kind of money to find a good pizza. The pizza above looks super, but not worth thirty more dollars to feed the family. Not that Little Ceasers is a great pizza, but 5 bucks compared to $20 makes it hard to justify. Ten bucks to feed the family or $40 for the same menu items makes it hard for me to pull the trigger. Kids can't tell the difference and everyone is full after either way. :tongue3:

Would have been nice to try though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm 

gary2beach wrote:
... we had onions, peppers, mushrooms and sausage, base pizza (a tray) is $20 and toppings are $1.50 each, so this came out to be one very expensive pizza for 16 little squares...

In our case, they just charged us the price for one of their specialty pizzas - so it came out to just a bit over $20.00.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am 

To clarify further, only half the pizza had sausage and they did
not charge an extra $6 for 4 toppings, I was just stating it was
$1.50 per topping on top of the base $20. I paid $24 and change
for what I got as they figured it out to one of the "speciality"
pizzas.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:24 pm 

True, it is not inexpensive, but for a treat I think it's worth it. We loved the house special - sweet and spicy. After 3 pieces - 2 sweet and spicy and 1 pepperoni, we ordered 3 more - another sweet and spicy, bacon and onion, and ham and pineapple. They cook the bacon and sausage in-house, and you need to try the sauce to dip the ends in. The biggest disadvantage, I think, is the parking.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:05 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
MBKY wrote:
gary2beach wrote:

Gary

I hate to admit it, but the Little Ceasers deep dish has killed any chance of me ever spending that kind of money to find a good pizza. The pizza above looks super, but not worth thirty more dollars to feed the family. Not that Little Ceasers is a great pizza, but 5 bucks compared to $20 makes it hard to justify. Ten bucks to feed the family or $40 for the same menu items makes it hard for me to pull the trigger. Kids can't tell the difference and everyone is full after either way. :tongue3:

Would have been nice to try though.

For us down here in MB until recently the only Little Ceasars was out in Conway (one is opening soon off 544)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 pm 

Years ago there was a Little Ceasars in the shopping center where the MB Indoor Flea Market and Food Lion is.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:23 pm 

Here at home we always go with $5 Little Caesars. It's a deal you just can't beat and the pizza is not bad. My son just told me that Pizza Hut has a pretty good $10 deal going on right now. Of course at the beach we usually end up ordering Ultimate California Pizza. It's just tradition :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

I just got a flier on todays mail, Little Caesars opened next to Walmart on Hwy 544, and yes they serve a $5 large pepperoni, sausage or cheese round pie every day, all day, carry out only for that price, that is cheap.

I was remembering a large rectangular pizza is what they served, any one else remember this, or is my mind finally slipping :)

Gary

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:45 pm 

gary2beach wrote:
I just got a flier on todays mail, Little Caesars opened next to Walmart on Hwy 544, and yes they serve a $5 large pepperoni, sausage or cheese round pie every day, all day, carry out only for that price, that is cheap.

I was remembering a large rectangular pizza is what they served, any one else remember this, or is my mind finally slipping :)

Gary

They used to serve the rectangular pizzas and you always got two pizzas with the order. The deal back then was that the cost was the same price as you would get at a pizza hut, but they would throw in a extra pizza. I would have liked to have started a Little Ceasers franchise in MB. I am friends with a guy that owns a couple of Little Ceasers franchises along with a few other fast food places. He says that Little Ceasers is by far his biggest money maker. This is a good cheap option for a lot of locals as well as vacationers.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm 

Yes, we used to always get the 2 rectangle pizzas from Little Caesars too - with Crazy Bread. There was one by my grandparents' house, where I spent a fair amount of time as a kid, and my 2 young uncles were teenagers then. I ate a lot of Little Caesars with them!