Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:08 pm 

I just got word overnight that The Filling Station is changing names soon - it will be the "Home Plate Sports Grill".

Apparently, very few if any other changes; the motto is "New Name...Same Great Pizza Buffet".

Pizza buffet is advertised as $5.75.

Same address and phone number:

1913 Mr Joe White Ave (10th Ave North)
Myrtle Beach, SC
(843) 626-9435

NOTE: Some recent comments about the Filling Station are later in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7095 perhaps that had something to do with the name change? :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:56 pm 

Mike, thanks for posting, this but I admit I almost panicked when I read the topic name. I thought the Filling Station was closing. Still, a "sports grill" just doesn't sound like it will be the same, no matter what they say. That makes me think of hots dogs, burgers, and foods of that nature.

Hopefully things will stay the same. I'd hate to lose our beloved pizza buffet after all these years. I hope Isaac stays on too.

Time will tell, and hopefully as people eat there this year they'll post their comments here.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 am 

Dawne wrote:
... I'd hate to lose our beloved pizza buffet after all these years. I hope Isaac stays on too.

Time will tell, and hopefully as people eat there this year they'll post their comments here...

I'd also hate to see it go, but our last 2 visits there were very UNimpressive as far as food quality - and that extremely poor state inspection (see the linked thread in my previous post) sealed the deal that we probably won't return at all.

I don't know if Issac is staying, or is still there - but I guess we'll find out from someone else...

We're much more impressed with the consistently great pizza buffets where we've NEVER had a bad experience nor ANY concerns at all:

- Pizza a la Roma (seasonal buffets during lunch & dinner only): Kings Hwy & 4th Ave North, Myrtle Beach

- Pizza Hut (lunch buffet Mon-Sat): Business 17 just south of Hwy 544 in Surfside Beach

- CiCis (all-hours buffet): ByPass 17 just south of the "Back Gate" Hwy 707 Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 am 

My son, Kyle, works at Pizza Hut so we try to support them when we go places, and personally, I prefer CiCi's over The Filling Station anyway, so really it's not great loss. It's just a tradition that we've always gone to the Filling Station, and we always try to time our visits to see Isaac. Plus, no one else had the delicious chocolate chip dessert pizza, but CiCi's sticky buns and brownies are more than compensation for that too. :)

Back when the Filling Station was on Business 17 in the building that later was a BBQ place and I think now is an office or travel agency, we used go there regularly too. We have a standing joke in our family about how every time we went to that location, I'd have to use the restroom and it never failed that I'd have to take the lid off the toilet tank and lift the ball valve to get it to flush correctly. I often wonder if the subsequent tenants or owners there ever got that ladies' room toilet fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm 

Last inspection score was an A. Must have been a bad day. "Home Plate Sport Grill" just doesn't sound like a pizza buffet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:47 am 

MBKY wrote:
Last inspection score was an A...

I saw that - a 92 on November 17, 2009.

Quite an improvement, considering that their previous score was an 84 during the week of September 17-23, 2009 - which was rather unimpressive considering it was from a follow-up inspection (pre-determined/announced visit to verify compliance or corrective action subsequent to a previous inspection, which was that disastrous 71 score from their routine, unannounced inspection just one week prior).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:33 pm 

UPDATE:

Took this picture in passing this past Friday - apparently, the name change transition is complete:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/D ... ePlate.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 pm 

Sign says:
Drive thru pizza buffet.
Interesting concept.
I guess you would just keep circling around lol

dts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 pm 

dts wrote:
Sign says:
Drive thru pizza buffet.
Interesting concept.
I guess you would just keep circling around lol

dts

:ac41[1]: I actually laughed out loud at that one~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:00 pm 

I remember eating at the Filling Station at Barefoot Landing on my honeymoon in 1994, yet I don't remember what the Pizza was like. Is it like a Papa John/Domino's style? or is it more like CiCi's or Mr.Gatti's?

Past lodging: Aunts condo (1976-1978) Waterside Inn (1991 & 1992)

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Olympic Flame Pancake house
Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House
Preston's Seafood/ Country Buffet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:07 pm 

Most of the pizza has thin crust, not as thick as what I'd consider to be hand tossed and definitely not a "pan" style pizza. (I'm using Pizza Hut's crusts for comparison here since that's where go most at home.) The Filling Station/Home Plate Sports Grill has a wide variety of toppings. The Barefoot Landing location closed in the late 1990s, I believe. Then they were located on Business 17 and then built their new location where they are now.

I've often wondered about the drive thru too. I guess maybe you can call ahead and order a whole pie (especially the to-die-for chocolate chip dessert pizza) and drive thru to pick it up. I wonder, though, if they'll get you individual slices of whatever you want, like from the buffet. Anyone ever go through the drive thru?

I'm sure we'll check out the "new" restaurant next time we're there. Does anyone know if they still have discount coupons in the different coupon books?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:20 pm 

Dawne wrote:
... Does anyone know if they still have discount coupons in the different coupon books?

Not sure about that, but last Friday they started posting ads - as "Home Plate Sports Grill (formerly the Filling Station") - with coupons (2 buffets for $12, soft drink included, with coupon) in the next-to-last page of the Sun News' (local newspaper) Friday "KICKS" supplement.

Last week's ad had an expiration date of 2/4/10, so it looks like you'll have to use a recent edition of KICKS to get a valid coupon through that means...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:25 pm 

I'd have to confess, Pizza snob that I am...that I didn't hate Cici's chicken alfredo pie...but wasn't exactly what I'd call pizza...it was a white sauce, but pretty darn tasty!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:07 pm 

Hate to admit that in a moment of weakness, decided to try the Home Plate Sports Grill during a rainstorm last week. We had just come back from Tanger outlet on 501 to get my son some new Nikes for the school year, and our daughter was a little jealous that we didn't get her anything. I planned to take her to Broadway at the Beach, but it started raining. We all like pizza, and we had a really good deal on a coupon at Home Plate, so I said, "what the heck, let's try it." My daughter was thrilled.

I too remember the old Filling Station on Hwy 17 with Isaac the busboy singing and dancing. Well, this place certainly has gone down hill. When we arrived, there was a family at one table. When they left, we were the only ones there (and it was 5:30 pm). Isaac came over to visit with us and took our family's picture for his photo album. That was the highlight of the evening.

The pizza was downright awful. I've had $.99 Food Lion frozen pizzas that taste better. The salad bar had lettuce, 2 dressings, and a couple of other things stuffed in a small area. The pasta bar consisted of spaghetti nooodles and your choice of marinara or a meat sauce. Both tasted like they came out of a can.

The pizzas were cold and tasteless. We asked them to make a fresh pepperoni pizza, which they gladly did. Unfortunately, it was just as bland and tasteless as the others that had been sitting out.

Nice people. Good location. Lousy, lousy food that is below Cici's quality (and I don't like Cici's). Sorry to say, but we won't be back.

Scott