Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cecil's Italian Grill?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:28 am 

Has anyone tried Cecil's Italian Grill yet?

http://www.cecilsitaliangrill.com/#

We're planning on going there for the first time by the end of the year; just have to look at our holiday schedules first.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 am 

The closest that I have come to Cecil's is driving by it just about everyday when we're at the bungalow at Pirateland.

I'm anxious to hear if anyone has been there and what it's like. I'd try it if it's any good since it is so close to us.

Will keep my eyes open for posts on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:48 pm 

OK - we "pulled the trigger" today and tried Cecil's.

Not exactly dining in, but take-out. We'd noticed that their Sunday specials included 'Buy One-Get One Free' for their pizzas and half-price for their garlic knots. So we took advantage; figuring it would provide 2 meals for today plus leftovers for our very busy schedules tomorrow.

I placed the order by phone - very friendly and helpful staff noted.

When I arrived, I noticed (hard to tell when driving by in traffic) that they have two patios with outside seating - a smaller one in front of the ice cream portion closer to the road, and a rather large patio along the left side in front of the restaurant entrance.

PLENTY of parking. Lined spaces on both sides of the building, plus a large parking lot further over on the left side.

The main restaurant entrance leads into a medium-size dining room with a modest counter with some stools and serving/pick-up area just to the side of the entrance. The entire interior is bright, well laid-out, and quite clean-appearing. A friendly greeting presented by all staff.

So much for all that; I pay, I leave - and now let's talk about the FOOD once I got home.

As transplanted Yankees with Pennsylvania roots, my wife and I always seek what is up-there known as a "mean" Italian pizza.

If you're looking for pizza that is bland, dry, lacking ingredients, has overly soft or hard crust, etc - then Cecil's will NOT be to your liking. But if you, like us, are seeking a "mean" pizza - Cecil's should suit you just fine.

It's a thin-crust pizza that's not skimpy with the sauce at all. The crust is slightly crispy around the edges, but with a perfect texture that is far from either "mushy" or "plasticy" like many others. It's a rich and tasty red sauce. The cheese is a perfect Italian blend - and a thick layer of it. There are just enough spices and oil added to make it tasty and properly seasoned.

The garlic rolls were perfect - a sizeable portion, and with a larger-than-typical container of tasty marinara sauce included. They are rather heavy with the oil - but practically every similar good true-Italian appetizer I've ever had did as well.

Oh, and did I mention that their staff said they're all home-made ingredients?

Personally, I had no doubt anyway that (owner/local personality) Cecil Chandler would put out any product that didn't have his utmost seal of approval.

Many, many years ago - when we were first married - my wife worked at "Mario's", a PA home-town pizzeria that had by far the best Italian pizza in that region. Tonight, my wife held her thumb and index finger less than a silly millimeter apart and stated "it's this far from Mario's pizza".

Our plans - which I relayed to the lady who took care of us at the counter - are to return for dining-in some time before Christmas, when our schedules allow it (she's working until 9PM this week, then day shift over the holiday weeks).

When we do, I'll post an update on the menu items (I promise not to write a book then - maybe)...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:01 am 

Mike,you did an excellent job of reviewing this restaurant. Makes me want to try it. I know it takes time to post in detail a restaurant experience. Especially appreciate your efforts knowing your busy schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:52 pm 

Thanks Mike! Looks like I'll be trying their pizza next time I'm down.

Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:38 am 

We ate at Cecil's this evening. Unfortunately for Cecil the restaurant was virtually empty when we arrived. Keep in mind that it is Monday night and very very cold weather. We got there around 5:30pm as we had heard they had a nice early bird menu until 6pm. There were probably seven or eight choices on this special menu. Reasonable price (all dinners on early bird menu are $9.95 and include salad and bread. We were impressed by the overall appearance of the restaurant. The service was good and the food was very good. My husband had lasagna and said it was the best he has had in recent years. I chose the chicken parmigiana with angel hair pasta and it was delicious. While we were there only one other person came in to eat. It must be very difficult for a lot of these restaurants to even cover their overhead on evenings like this. The great food, comfortable atmosphere and good service has us already planning a return trip. I thought it had just opened but it has been open since April. Forgot to mention that Cecil came to each table to make sure we were enjoying our dining experience.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:48 pm 

UPDATE: Wife and I drove past there about an hour ago - it's no longer "Cecil's Italian Grill".

Same look, etc (and staff, etc as per the link below), but the signs are all replaced, and Cecil's is now "Valentino's II Italian Cuisine":

http://www.valentinossurfside.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

MyrtleBeachRestaurantNews.com ran a couple of articles that will be of interest to anyone seeking further information about Cecil's.

http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.co ... os-ii.html

http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.co ... urday.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:39 pm 

Thanks, Patrish. For the past couple of years, there always seems to be a lot of drama with anything Cecil is attached to...

The author of the articles (Becky Billingsley) is a friend of mine, but she writes so many things that I missed those.

We drive past there at least once a week; this was just the first time I noticed the change.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

I think this is another example of the axiom that if a restaurant or venue doesn't have the support of the locals, which they desperately need off-season, they won't make it in-season. Another example is Hard Rock/Freestyle.

On the other hand, Nibils is doing great! Power To The Locals! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall