Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California Dreaming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm 

We had company and went to dine here on their last night. I think everything has been said before but this place has never disappointed us. Their prime rib and their ribs are both great! Everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed it. My sister always orders their potato soup and she says it is really good. It is nice to know of places that you can count on especially when taking others along.

Post subject: Re: California Dreaming
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm 

Though I've never been to CD yet, I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about it. Will have to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

We were there just last week (Surfside location.) We went for the Early Bird specials which three people enjoyed -but I ordered the California Dreaming salad. We had not been there is awhile, and I was missing my CD Salad fix! :clown:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject: California Dreaming
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:22 pm 

We've never been there. We like to try new places each visit. I save the comments about interesting places to eat so I can go thru them later. We are only coming to MB once this year
And that is in sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:20 pm 

We ate at CD Wednesday 7/23/14. The wife and I split a Prime Rib Sandwich and Barbecue Sandwich. Both were excellent. Another good thing is they allow you to substitute any side with the sandwiches. The menu says served with fries and some places do not let you substitute, so it is nice that CD does. I had a baked potato for the side and the wife had some sort of mashed potatoes, with both being good. I know that one of the kids had chicken tenders and one had pasta (which didn't have enough sauce). I can't remember what my other daughter ate. My mom had a prime rib sandwich with baked potato and dad had a 10 oz. Prime Rib. Everyone agreed that it was one of our better meals of the week. California Dreaming is connected to the Carolina Roadhouse restaurant and food and menu are a lot alike. For us it is a much shorter drive from our condo to CD and that is why we chose it instead of Carolina Roadhouse. Service was also excellent. We will probably go back again next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:15 am 

Also in our area Gulf Stream, NY Prime and Boro Loco are all owned by this Charleston Group.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am 
Site Admin

I will never go back to Gulf Stream Cafe. Read my review, bottom of this page:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13277&p=91469#p91469

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm 

I remember your early bird issue, I don't need to reread it :)

I was just making note that it is the same owner.

I think I may have mentioned to you back then to make a call and
let your complaint be heard, oh well, they don't offer discounts so I
will not be going there or any of their places anyhow.

I only go where I can get a discount, there are many offers out there,
if one only looks and with over 1700 places to choose, I am not missing out :)

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

True, Gary....and as one of my friends said "OK, don't eat there. Let's just go for a drink and watch the sunset."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:23 pm 

It is nice on the upstairs outdoor bar, yet it use to be less expensive to go next door to the marina bar on the 2nd floor, same view, less money :)

Was great for years with the Sunday 4PM cookout, we would leave the beach at 6 or whatever, head the 2 miles to the marina and have all the hamburgers/hot dogs, off the outdoor grill, sides and fixins for $7.

Not sure if anyone has taken the restaurant/bar over, last I heard they were just doing a quicky restaurant thing and closing early.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:22 pm 

California Dreaming used to be a favorite of ours, but after our trip this year we will probably not return. Part of our group initially wanted to go to Carolina Roadhouse, but the earliest time we could get in for call ahead seating was 8:45. Since we had positive experiences at California Dreaming in the past and it was owned by the same group as Carolina Roadhouse I talked them into California Dreaming instead. The call ahead time for it was 7:30 and they also have quality ribs. Our party arrived around 7:25 and we expected to be seated shortly. At 7:45 a manager came to us and said we would be seated shortly. A large table became available in the lower section and it had a couple of booths right next to it. I assumed that they would ask to split our large party and get us seated. The table sit open for a long time and finally around 8:00 they brought another large party to it. At 8:15 we finally asked them to figure out a way for us to sit down and it didn't matter how they worked it out. They ended up sitting us at a round booth and a large table near the back.

After being seated over 45 minutes after our call ahead time, we were informed that they were out of ribs. I ordered a beer that was never brought. Refills were few and far between. A pasta dish that a couple in the party ordered was not edible. It was easily our worst experience of the week. I hate that considering that it had been a choice we could count on in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

That is just terrible, and totally unacceptable! I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you will contact management about this experience. What a nightmare. This is no way for any restaurant to treat its guests.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:23 am 

So disappointing GS has consistently gone downhill... hopefully this isn't a trend with their other eateries. If Carolina Roadhouse lowers the quality of their prime rib, we might need serious therapy in this household !