Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:25 pm 

We always wanted to try this place out. We went last week because they had a special that night on prime rib. However when we got there the waitress informed us of other specials. Now please realize that we usually look for a good deal but one of the specials caught our eye. It was a large filet with Bernaise sauce served with shrimp, a crab cake and scallops. It was pricey at $36 each. We looked at each other and decided to go for it and this would be our Valentine dinner early. Lol. The meal was absolutely delicious. First we were served a salad that was just a salad but good and a nice bun. The steak was a good size and very tender and had three large grilled shrimp and two large grilled scallops. There was also a crab cake on the plate and it was yummy. The meal was accompanied by a vegetable stir fry with yellow and green zucchini and a few other veggies. It was made fresh and delicious. I had a baked potato and Dave had mashed. I ended up taking half my meal home as the portion was so big. We both agreed it was the best meal we'd had in a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm 

Christine,

Thanks for this review. Is this place new? I am pretty sure I remember seeing it as we were exploring the intercoastal waterfront last summer and it was empty. I just sent all our crew a link to check it out. This just may be the new restaurant we try this summer. I love dinner with a view.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 pm 

No Deanna it isn't new and you are correct it is on the intercoastal waterway. They have great specials. They have a fish fry on Fridays for $10 and we plan to check it out. I will write a review when I do. It has an outside area that is closed in with plastic this time of year but I have seen pictures when it is open and it looks like a great spot and I think it would be a great place to go in the summer. We know several people who go there often and really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 am 

Went to Filet's last Monday June 16. We had been wanting to try this place for a while and are glad we did.

Paul and I started with drinks. I had a frosty raspberry rum drink and Paul a Blue Moon. My drink was delicious but sweet and filling :geek:

The salad was seriously nondescript and pretty lackluster as was the bread. The salad was some lettuce one tomato and two raw onion rings.

The meal itself was very good and portions large. Each one came with two sides. Paul had the NY strip I believe with mashed taters and spicy corn. He said it was really good!

I had the same special Christine had above. It was a filet with a crab cake on top, shrimp, and scallops. I took 3/4 home it was A LOT! I got it with collards and mashed taters. I did send the scallops back as they were not cooked on the inside. They returned them to me perfectly. Very good meal but not sure it was worth almost $40.

All and all it was very nice and the view overlooking the marina really added to the ambiance. Would we return...maybe. Total without tip $77.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:41 pm 

We decided to try Filets based to Christine's & Emmy's reviews and we are so glad that we did. It was one of our best meals. I had never heard of Filets until Christine posted. Hidden jewell in my opinion. Let me start off by saying the restaurant is over 25 years old. When we first pulled up I wasn't very impressed and immediately start telling myself this isn't going to be very good. The inside needed major renovations and I felt like I was in an old nightclub. However, if we can tolerate Crab Catchers we could do this.

Beautiful view of the waterway

View of Harbourgate Marina from our table

View of covered deck seating from our table. They had large fans in this area so I would think it would be comfortable for evening meals

Most of us started out with a salad and it was average. However, I had the house dressing which was a creamy pecan and it was excellent. The greens in my salad look much different than Emmy's ??

The bread was homemade and a little dry

My sister in law got the Lobster Bisque and it was the best she had ever had. I took a bite and it was very good.

My cousin ordered the Hawaiian Pork. You didn't even have to chew the meat. It was that tender. Very good.

Doug got a New York Strip. He ordered his steak medium and when he received it it was over cooked for him. He didn't send it back, but he did comment that it was seasoned very well. Notice the roasted corn. If you don't like foods with a spicey kick do not order this. Whew...it was smokin. However, Doug ate it :roll:

Now for some reason I could not download the two best meals at our table. My brother ordered the filet and I kid you not he cut it with a butter knife. It was excellent! Doug was kicking himself for not ordering it.

My mom and I shared the pecan crusted chicken. Oh my it was so good. The portion was huge and it looked like fried chicken with honey drizzled on top. I have thought many times about this meal since we have been home. Sorry about the pic.

We will return to Filets. As mentioned my mom and I did share a meal and this is the only meal ever in Myrtle Beach that we have been charged for sharing a meal. It was like $6. I did express my concern to the waitress and she did pass it on to the manager because he stopped by our table. The charge was not reversed, but I did let him know that we had been sharing meals for years and this was the only place to ever charge us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:08 pm 

Plate sharing charges should be illegal. It's in poor taste and poor business etiquette to tell a consumer HOW to enjoy their meal. Don't tell them you're sharing. It's none of their business.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 am 

Phroggy, I totally agree with you. The portions they serve today are often more than a person can eat and some menu choices just don't work to pack up and take home leftovers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 am 

How can they justify charging $6 more for the same amount of food? That would be like charging a child to bring their McDonalds bag in their restaurant. They are basically charging someone $6 to sit in a seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 pm 

When my mom and I were ordering we were totally taken off guard. My mom was saying just do it and I was trying to put my thoughts together. I wouldn't do it again! I should have done what my 12 year old niece suggested, just order a salad and share the meal anyway. What a smart little girl she is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 am 

Honestly, I just can't get over charging $6 to share a plate! I remember my Mom telling me a few years back that her and my Dad would often order a salad and share a main course. When you are in your eighties that works great and I also remember her saying that some places charged to make up two plates from one order. She said they would divide the meat and add a little extra of the other items to make near a full plate so it was worth it but the cost was never more than 2-3 dollars. I just can't get over $6.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:43 pm 

I think a restaurant that charges for sharing is ridiculous. Like others have said, some places give you huge portions to begin with and there are certain foods that just don't reheat well, even if you put them in the oven.

We've never been to Filet's but went to the previous restaurant that was there (Marker 350) all the time until one year our meal and service was so bad that we never went there again.

We might have to try this. Thanks for your review!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

We just ate @ Filets! Phyllis ordered the Asian Salmon and she absolutely loved it, as did I with the Triggerfish! I had a Ketel One dirty martini and a diet soda, Phyllis had a glass of Merlot! No desserts, since we were stuffed after our entrees. Although the main dishes were superb, the sides were just good, as was the bread. I would be ashamed to serve a salad such as they gave us!! As Emmy said, a little lettuce, piece of tomato, and a couple onions. Salad did taste good, it was just a bit meager! Now let's get to the hostess :???: ! They asked us where we wished to be seated, ad we said that we wanted to be seated by a window. Hostess promptly takes us to a booth away from the windows. When I explained that it was uncomfortable for me sitting in a booth, with my knees, she got pissy and said we should have called ahead if were handicapped :roll: , and then as she seated us near the window, she informed us that there were reservations for our table later, and insinuated that we need to be done before they show up! I was good boy and did not get mad, since everything else was so, but I was going to say something as I left, but I couldn't find her. In a few minutes, I am going to go to their site and tell them that she is an :bootyshake:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Ron, I hope you told them to read the reviews on our message board.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

I just received an apology from the manager!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:20 pm 

So glad you received an apology. I don't remember any issues with the hostess, however there is no excuse for her rudeness. Her handicap comment makes me furious. Now I will say our waitress was excellent. I am sure we will return to Filets because my brother LOVED his filet and hasn't stopped talking about it.