Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cook-out
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 pm 

Last Thursday night we drove up to my brothers house in Conway and my dad and brotherwent and got dinner takeout from a new burger joint just down the road on 501 called Cook-out. They have a great combo deal you get a burger, pulled pork BBQ, or chicken fingers and two sides and a drink for $4.25 and you could get a ultra thick shake instead for $1 more. And they have a very long list of types of shakes. The guys liked their burgers and I got the BBQ which I got a quesadilla and hush puppies for my sides the sides were good but the BBQ sandwhiches did not thrill me it was ok but I had better, and my mom got the chicken tenders. I loved their quesadillas it had a spicy pulled chicken in it and the shakes were great you had to eat it with a spoon.

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

Post subject: Re: Cook-out
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:44 am 

Wow, that's an incredible price. I have heard that their onion rings are very good, though we've never been there. Thanks for the review!

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 pm 
Forum Support

Sounds great!

I went looking online for a menu. Looks like Cook-Out is a small chain. Multiple locations and spreading multiple states!

http://www.cookout.com/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm 

I have a relative that goes to school down there and she talks about it all th time! She says it's pretty good.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 pm 

Cook Out's presence in the Myrtle Beach area was really anticipated. They're very popular in this region, having been founded in North Carolina and expanding.

The Conway location, along Rt 501 near the college campuses between Myrtle Beach and Conway, was the first to open here, last summer. It seems to always be busy - and popular - with a blend of college students, workers, tourists, locals, etc. A secong location is planned and in the works for the corner of 18th Avenue North and Kings Highway, in a prior fast-food building. Renovations will give it a traditional Cook Out feature: drive-inns on BOTH sides of the building.

Here's the link that describes what makes Cook Out so popular (an idea many of us probably also had in the past, no doubt), and a couple other informative articles about the current and planned Myrtle Beach locations:

http://www.cookoutnc.com/

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/local/c ... f6878.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/1 ... ation.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:51 pm 

They are expanding so fast that their website can't even keep up with the new locations. I know one recently opened up in Richmond, KY. I assume that they are wanting to break into the Steak and Shake market. The only difference is that they are going to let you upgrade to a shake for $1 more. Steak and Shake makes quite a bit on the shakes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:48 pm 

MBKY wrote:
They are expanding so fast that their website can't even keep up with the new locations. I know one recently opened up in Richmond, KY. I assume that they are wanting to break into the Steak and Shake market. The only difference is that they are going to let you upgrade to a shake for $1 more. Steak and Shake makes quite a bit on the shakes.

Yep on both points. There is at least one other business with the same "cookout-style) concept as Cook Out, but Cook Out is the one who really ran with it and gained the cult-like following that's driving their expansion. Steak and Shake seems their target competition for the "burger and shake" side of the market - and Cook Out seems to have the full edge on any competition for the "traditional family cookout/barbecue" or "picnic-style" market.

Regarding the website: If I recall right and don't have Cook Out confused with another business, they initially didn't even HAVE a website of their own (on purpose) - and someone else created one with some of the helpful information about it. Looks like do have a website of their own now, plus the other is still there too...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 pm 

UPDATE: The Myrtle Beach location of Cookout (1800 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach) is now open...
-----------------------------------------------------

NEW COOK-OUT LOCATION OPEN FOR BUSINESS IN MYRTLE BEACH

BY JOHN BRASIER
For The Sun News - May 23, 2014

Cook-out restaurant has veered from its highly successful path for its new Myrtle Beach location.

The privately owned Greensboro, N.C.-based quick food chain, founded in 1989, has more than 120 locations in 70 cities in the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia, many near college campuses to capture late-night customers.

But the closest college campus to the location that just opened up at U.S. 17 Business and 18th Avenue North, Coastal Carolina University, is at least 15 minutes away.

Myrtle Beach Cook-out manager Steven Cloninger listed several college towns throughout the Southeast where Cook-out has thrived with a combination of hometown tastes and student-friendly prices.

The new Cook-out, which opened May 19, is open at 10 a.m. every day. It closes at 1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and at 2:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturdays. The drive-thru is open until 3:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and until 4:30 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

It may be a new location, but it has the same popular menu led by the Cook-out combo – a one-quarter-pound burger with a choice of two side items and a soft drink for $4.99. Cheese is 40 cents extra. All food also can be purchased a la carte.

Cook-out offers 34 different flavors of milkshakes, which can substituted in a combo for a soft drink for $1.

Cloninger said most customers elect to have their burger “Cook-out Style” with mustard, onions, slaw and chili. But customers can choose what they want.

Other $4.99 combo entrees include chicken sandwich, barbecue sandwich, two hot dogs, chicken strips, chicken strip sandwich, and chicken, cheese or beef quesadillas.

Other burger sizes are available, including small (one-eighth pound), big double (two one-eight-pounders) large (one-third pound) and huge (half-pound).

Sides include fries, slaw, onion rings, hushpuppies, chili, chicken nuggets, chicken wraps, corn dogs, grilled cheese and quesadillas.

Cloninger said no other Cook-outs are planned on the Grand Strand – at least not yet. But the chain has plans to move into Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland and West Virginia in the near future.

The address of the new location is 1800 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach (formerly a Burger King). Visit http://www.cookoutnc.com.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:50 pm 

Being a NC native this post is so funny to me because we have been going to Cook-out my whole life!!! Lol! Its crazy to me that there are people who have never been to one!!! Lol! I forget sometimes that some restaurant chains are local or regional and not everyone has them. We love Cook-out!!! The Burgers and Shakes are the best!

Bay View-2008
Laquinta Inn 48th-2013
Mariners Cove-2014

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 pm 

That's funny in that even the latest article doesn't mention the one in Kentucky. If anyone is traveling I-75 Cook Out has a location right off exit 87 in Richmond, Ky. True to their goal, it is located in the same town as Eastern Kentucky University. I've eaten there two or three times and the food is excellent and as described above you get it at the right price. I've went there at some odd times during the day and it always seems crowded. I look for these places to start showing up all throughout this section of the U.S.

Last edited by MBKY on Thu May 29, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:59 pm 

Thanks for the original post & updates.

An hour commute to Harrisonburg, VA for my CookOut.

Just went through Charlottesville, ... wished I'd know then, what I know now.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 pm 

17S2MBSC wrote:
...wished I'd know then, what I know now.

I say the same thing about when I was a teenager... :joker: :bootyshake: