Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

About a year ago,the restaurant at the Wacca Wache Marina on the Intracoastal Waterway in Murrells Inlet changed hands.
Not having been impressed with the former owners, we were equally unimpressed when we heard it had been purchased by
someone else and renamed Hannah Banana.

The name itself conjured up thoughts of Hanna-Barbera Cartoons, Inc. You remember ….the creators of Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear,
Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw. I envisioned a pizza place with sticky-fingered kids running around, and perhaps
noisy games and roving cartoon characters.

It wasn't until sher1234 posted a trip report here that I realized I had been wrong in my assumption, and it might be worth another visit.

We wanted to get to the Marina around sunset, in order to enjoy the boats docking for the night, and the vocal entertainment.

After we parked the car, Wally noticed this couple fishing in the waterway. What a wonderful way to spend a warm evening.

http://www.funbeaches.com/october/fishing.jpg

The entertainment was a well-known local duo, "Salty Dog." They played Country, Blues, Rock, Southern Rock and Bluegrass.
Some of the best fiddle, banjo, guitar and bass you'll ever hear!

http://www.funbeaches.com/october/salty-dog.jpg

Wally ordered the fish of the day (mahi mahi) sandwich and I asked for the Shrimp Boat Basket. Both were served with cole slaw and fries.
The menu told me that the shrimp "were Not the puny creek shrimp that others offer but jumbo shrimp" and they were right. It was very good!

Their drink specials were $1. off regular price, so my wine was $3.50 and Wally's premium dark beer was $2.50

And as we enjoyed the last of our drinks, we got to see the sun setting over the Intracoastal Waterway:

http://www.funbeaches.com/october/sunset.jpg

Cost: Dinner $29.98, plus $1.92 tax = $32.54

http://www.hannahbananassunshinecabana.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:40 am 

I'll be adding this to our list of things to do. We haven't explored much on the Intercoastal. Love the pictures as always Patrish!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 am 

Patrish, your pictures are gorgeous. You seem to have fun with different settings on your camera. I have to say, I believe your photos rival Leo's!! Some of them look almost like paintings. Is that a special setting, or do you do something to make them look that way, or is it just due to lighting or something random? Anyway, they're beautiful!

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Jan and Dawne. Dawne, all my photos go through some processing in Photoshop, especially straightening and sharpening. The shot of Salty Dog was done with a Photoshop filter called Topaz. The black and white of course started out in color, but I couldn't get rid of the glare on the water. So I made it black and white. The sunset was pretty much as it looked through my lens. Thank you so much for the compliments.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:09 pm 

Patrish:

Glad you visited, but now I hope it doesn't get overrun! We really like the laid back atmosphere and the beautiful view at sunset. We have a boat at home, which we don't bring with us to the beach, but we still enjoy watching people on the water.

The entertainment here has always been good, and the food, while more sandwiches than "main courses" is also very good. We generallly spend a couple of hours here just relaxing. It really does feel like you are in the lowcountry of South Carolina when you are at the marina.

Sheri

P.S. I can vouch for the sunset in Patrish's photo -- it is absolutely beautiful there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Sher. Glad you're still around and checking messages. Thanks for pointing us to Hanna Banana. I learn so much from our message board members, and when I read your trip report I made a note to myself to give this place another try.

About 5 boats from the Intracoastal Waterway came in and docked while we were there. I think they must have seen the lights, heard the music and decided this would be a good place for dinner and to spend the night before heading out again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm 

For me, the food has been hit-or-miss, but you can't fault the view/atmosphere. I'm looking forward to going at sunset when it's warm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 am 

The view, yes is outstanding, the deck is really nice, on cool nights the fire is burning outside on the deck and weather permitting there is entertainment.

All in all it is a very nice, relaxing joint but the best thing about the place is Ken whipping up some concoction in the blender that comes out so fine :)

Smile

Gary

"If you believe that feeling bad or worrying long enough will change a past or future event, then you are residing on another planet with
a different reality system." - William James

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:27 pm 

My Hannah Banana's Sunshine Cabana Review:

Ok, this was our first time here and I must say, it goes on the “Must” list for each visit to Myrtle Beach. It’s on the Intracoastal Waterway and it is beautiful back there. The atmosphere is very laid back. There was a woman singing (I believe her name was Sista Otis) and she was awesome! My 15-month-old grandson even went around front (we were sitting outside on the side porch) to check her out and do a little dancin’! My husband had the grouper sandwich, fries, coleslaw and two beers, my grandson had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, applesauce and water and I had fish tacos and water. The food was very good. The price was $34 before tip. Our waitress was very nice and was so helpful with our grandson. We highly recommend this place!
Angela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:10 pm 

Wowyoulucked out seeing Otis, I have made mention of her before, she is in town occasionally as her folks live here, her father duke is a friend and she is getting quite a national following, especially since the gal from am. Idol, bowersox, mentioned her as an influence, y'all can enter her name on YouTube.

Can,twait to get my PC fixed

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:00 pm 

I have been wanting to eat here for a couple of years now and was so thrilled Patrish and Wally agreed to join us. The atmosphere is completely laid back and tropical. You almost feel as if you are in the Florida Keys instead of MB. Very cool indeed. The food was great. Plentiful, fresh, and tasty. Our server if I remember correctly was extremely busy but she was fine otherwise. They had two gentleman entertaining us "The Fab Duo" sang A LOT of Beatles, but they were upbeat and fun. It was a great time!

I had the crab cake sandwich

Sy had the fried shrimp

Paul had the Philly Cheese Steak (don't ask)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:38 pm 

Oh my all three of those dishes are mouth watering...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

We had a wonderful time with Emmy, Paul and Sy. The singing duo was The Fab 2 (twins Bruce and Brian McElroy.)

It wasn't the prettiest sunset we've ever seen, but the weather was good, and so was the food and especially the company! We always look forward to seeing Em and Paul. They are down-to-earth people who we're proud to call friends.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:37 pm 

Delightful! This was our first time eating here but have wanted to try it for some time after hearing such good things about them. We ate lunch here after taking the Plantation River Tour since they are in the same location and we were not disappointed! We were promptly seated at a table with lovely views right under a huge cypress tree. Our service was good and the food was excellent! We both had the 3 Cheese burger and I tried the hand-fried potato chips with my burger and they were very good. We shared a Key Lime pie and OMGosh it was good!!!! $35 plus tip. We will eat here again!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Karen, glad you and Danny had an enjoyable time here. Thanks for taking the time to post a review!