Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 am 

My wife and I drove past the Great American Steak & Buffet Company location at 7904 North Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach yesterday afternoon, and it was closed - it appeared empty inside and all signs have been removed.

It obviously happened very recently, as we'd just dined there about a month ago.

Their website is gone, too - this was a chain, so possibly it's a corporate loss. Some of their other locations had closed in the past year or so, and others had previously been converted to Western Sizzlin (Great American was a subsidiary of Western Sizzlin). I can't locate an announcement or other related story about the Myrtle Beach location's closing on the Internet.

I was sorry to see this, as it was a really inexpensive buffet with a large and varied menu that had never disappointed us over the past years...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Admin

I never ate at that restaurant, but I'm sorry to hear of its closing. I also noticed that JD's Steakhouse has also closed. We had a coupon for it in our Attractions Book and were planning to use it before the year ends. Oh well.......

http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.co ... sland.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:05 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Qu├ębec
Oh! That is too sad about the Great American Steak & Buffet. We had made it a tradition to eat dinner there at Thanksgiving and then walk down to the beach. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 am 

patrish wrote:
... I also noticed that JD's Steakhouse has also closed. We had a coupon for it in our Attractions Book and were planning to use it before the year ends. Oh well......

I told my wife right after we went by that Becky Billingsley usually reports on closures, openings, and other restaurant happenings in her columns, but forgot to check before I posted that (hours later, in the wee hours of the morning). Thank you for the link.

We didn't get one of the Attractions books this year, but did last year. There were quite a few coupons we didn't use because the businesses either closed, or stayed the same but changed names and management - some right after we bought the book as soon as they came out...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:38 pm 

Hadn't ate at great American in years (because we stay farther south now), but hate to see it closed. Food was good and price was decent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:47 pm 

They had the 2 bars of all kinds of down-home style country food, a large salad bar, and a huge desert selection. PLUS, across the front and to the side, they had the seafood with huge breaded shrimp, other seafoods, various chicken/pork/beef and other country/seafood selections, and a ham/roast beef carving station - all with the fried-to-order steaks.

When we ate there a few weeks ago, we enjoyed all that. The total bill for the 2 of us - with beverages, a 20% tip, and a locals discount - was STILL under $20...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:12 pm 

Mike L. wrote:
They had the 2 bars of all kinds of down-home style country food, a large salad bar, and a huge desert selection. PLUS, across the front and to the side, they had the seafood with huge breaded shrimp, other seafoods, various chicken/pork/beef and other country/seafood selections, and a ham/roast beef carving station - all with the fried-to-order steaks.

When we ate there a few weeks ago, we enjoyed all that. The total bill for the 2 of us - with beverages, a 20% tip, and a locals discount - was STILL under $20...

Last time we ate there years ago, it was actually one of our better meals of the week. Think it was one of those rare times we ate somewhere twice on the same trip. We thought it was lot better quality of buffet than Ryan's or golden corral. I know some of the local's will miss a budget friendly meal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 pm 

Yes Mike they closed along with JD's as Patrish mentioned, also BackFinz closed the week before these 2, it is still not over.

I'm not up to date with the closings in Attractions Book which came out in September of this year, but my last count had 10 businesses closed.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

I feel so sorry for the business that have closed. I can't remember the count, but I know there have been a lot in 2013. It's hard to imagine the heartbreak of people who invest in their dream, only to see it crumble and fall apart.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:11 pm 

We just discovered that the Great Amerivan Buffet had closed during our recent trip. We rode up there from Lakewood to eat dinner one night and discovered that it was a seafood buffett now.

We agree with the others that the food was great and the price was also. We hated to see that.