Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big E's
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 pm 

Hope this is the right spot. So, I bought a coupon book to do some restaurant/attraction research prior to our trip in September and to save money while there. This being the first trip, we figure we are going to pick a lot of places from this book to experience a wide variety of places while saving money. Double Bonus. A lot of the places that are in the book, I also found online and was able to get reviews/menus, but there was one place called Big E's Seafood and Barbecue that I can't find anywhere except a couple of random posts on this and another board that don't give a lot of info.

So my questions are:

Has anyone eaten there? Recommend It? Big buffet/small, types of food? Price?

Any answers/info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Big E's
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:59 pm 

I know Big E and I know it well. Our vacation home is literally down the road from it. It's off the beaten path for sure.
OK here is the deal...
The buffet is not large by any means and the buffet is only served at lunch. At dinner time you must eat off the menu. The buffet is VERY inexpensive, something like $7.00 including a drink. The food is real southern, not touristy southern, Longs, SC southern. You usually get about 2 meats (fried chicken, and some other) fried chicken gizzards, rice and gravy, and bunch of veggies, some salad items, and some desserts. Again this is NOT a large buffet. The atmosphere is "rustic" at best. This is purely a locals place. Wood tables, rolls of paper towels on the table, plastic pitchers filled with sweet tea. I must say we prefer to order off the menu when we go. The food is freshly prepared then. We didn't eat there the last two time we were down so it's been about a year or so since we've eaten there. Their hours are always different depending on the time of year so call ahead if you decide to go (843) 399-3399.

Here is the cover of their menu it should speak volumes

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/ ... mmy063.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:35 pm 

Hey Em and Troy, Ms Betty started doing the dinner buffet, last year I think it was, Thur-Sat.

Here's a cpl of reviews I had saved on this place

6/12/2010 First to Review
This is some of the best seafood I've had! It is well worth the drive from Myrtle Beach. It is a good old, down home kind of place where the friendly owner always greets you at the door and tells you to sit wherever you like.

The food is amazing! Try the onion rings, they are lightly battered and simply delicious. Their seafood is also excellent, especially the oysters! I love it that they bring you cold tartar sauce to the table too. Their hush puppies or "corn dodgers" I think they call them are also great. The food is consistent and the staff is always friendly and attentive. Food comes out pretty fast too! On the weekends they have a good southern buffet for a great price!

Overall, you can't beat Big E's!

Down home cookin!
by Capt D (10 reviews)
September 10, 2009 - Likes it
Went to Big E's on Hwy 9 for their lunch buffett. Folks this is staight up Southern home cooking! You walk in, seat yourself, order your drink then go to the buffett. The buffett has a variety of veggies ie: butter beans, corn, green beans, squash, blackeye peas etc etc....The day I was there they had stewed beef and gravy (to be served over rice). Fried chicken livers (not for me sorry), and of course some excellent fried chicken....The price is a flat 7.00 and that includes your drink!!!!! If you like southern food you'll like Big E's....
3 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

great food
by Melissa Church (2 reviews)
February 11, 2011 - Really likes it
Bang 4 ur $$$$$. Love it.Wish E was closer.Great Fried Chicken,Salisbury Steak,Real Cream Pot,veges.It makes u feel like ur just ate at ur mothers home.

It is defenitly a place most people just pass by and they are missing out

Oh yeah, dinner buffet I think is $10

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 pm 

Sun n' Fun wrote:
... The atmosphere is "rustic" at best. This is purely a locals place. Wood tables, rolls of paper towels on the table, plastic pitchers filled with sweet tea...

Every time my wife and I have ate there, we have a standing joke: "Where's Enos, Daisy, Bo, Luke, Boss Hogg, etc?".

Of course, it's just because this place's atmosphere is exactly what you may expect if there really was a "Dukes of Hazzard" location - and you went out to the local buffet.

That's my best description - and I agree with the great food comments...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:48 pm 

This place sounds great! We definately have this place on our "to do" list!

We want to try local fare and stay away from chains. We have a Joe's Crabshack, and we have been to Capt. George's in VA beach too many times to count. It's not that we are huge fans of buffets... they are just easier when it comes to our kids.

I think Big E's is reasonably close to where we are staying. (Mar Vista Grande)

Judging from all the pictures I have seen, it looks like Myrtle Beach is like VA beach on steroids! :hello:

Spread out and LOTS of room! :nanner: