Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:18 pm 

Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen | 1202 Celebrity Cir, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 | https://pauladeensfamilykitchen.com

THERE ARE NO TAKE HOME BOXES. I repeat: there are no take home boxes.

Now that I’ve warned you, let me start with my review. My family and I ate here on a Thursday a little after 4pm. You enter through the store on the first floor. There’s a booth where somewhere will direct you to the escalators. The restaurant is on the second floor. We were greeted and seated immediately. We had a great view of Broadway at the Beach from our table.

Our server Laquetta was a rockstar. She was so upbeat and friendly. I swear she put me in a better mood than I was when I came in there. Laquetta always checked in on us. We never had to ask for refills. She explained the concept of the restaurant and the different foods to choose from. The restaurant is essentially a buffet style of dining even though it doesn’t say buffet. The food is all you can eat. They do not provide take-home containers, no matter how much food you have left. Dinner is $22.99 per person. Kids 5-10 are $10.99. You choose 3 main dishes, 4 side sides, and everyone gets a dessert of their choice.

After our dinner, we browsed the Paula Deen shop. We picked up a biscuit mix and the Ooey Gooey Original Butter Cake mix. The shop has some really nice (expensive) stuff if you like Paula Deen and/or southern sayings and phrases.

Overall, we would certainly return. I think we underestimated how much food would would get and got much fuller than we anticipated. It’s quite a bit of food for three people. I think if we had more people in our party, we wouldn’t have left as much food. One downside is that there are no take home boxes. I understand the reasoning - they don’t want you to order an entire meal’s worth of food and take it all home, but it just seems so wasteful. My mom asked our server what they do with the food and she said they throw it out every night. It makes me said they can’t take it to a shelter, or something.

View from our table

Cheddar biscuits. These were some of the best biscuits I’ve ever had. They were huge, flakey, and SO darn good. We pretty much fought over who got to eat the last one.

Peach tea. It was very sweet. The glass was huge and there were big chunks of peaches inside. I loved it.

Best Ever Southern Fried Chicken (seasoned, hand-breaded, fried). I loved this. I read reviews online that mentioned it was greasy but we didn’t have that problem. The chicken was crunchy fried deliciousness. The meat was all white meat, tender, and juicy.

Chicken Pot Pie (chicken, creamy sauce, carrots, peas, flaky puff pastry lattice). We loved this. The chicken was tender. The sauce was creamy but not too heavy. The puff pastry was flaky and baked perfectly.

Baked Mac and Cheese, Fresh Candied Yams. The mac and cheese was good. My parents enjoyed the yams. They loved the sweet taste.

Cole Slaw. My dad liked this. There wasn’t a lot of dressing so it wasn’t runny.

Buttered White Rice. Just okay. It wasn’t bad, but was a little bland. I wouldn’t order again.

Ol’ Fashioned Southern Meatloaf (thick sliced, sweet, tangy, taboo onions)
Pumpkin dessert with whipped cream. So good! The crispy onions on top were great. The meatloaf was seasoned well and was very tender.

Ooey Gooey Butter Cake. This was my favorite dessert. I can’t even describe how good this cake is. You’ll have to try it for yourself!

Pumpkin dessert with whipped cream. I didn’t try this one, but my parents said it was okay. They’re not too found of pumpkin flavored things though.

Seasonal Cobbler (Apple). The apples were seasoned well and were soft and tender.

Banana Pudding (creamy custard, fresh bananas, vanilla wafers, whipped cream). If you love bananas, this is the dessert for you. You could tell how fresh the dessert was. It was great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:24 pm 

Awesome review and photos! Everything looked good! Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for this review. We have not been there to eat, although we walked around the well-done gift shop. Your photos are excellent as was your review. Thanks for taking the time to write it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 am 

We have never eaten at the restaurant but I read a review a few years back that referred to Paula Dean’s Sweet Bourbon Glaze. I tried it and loved it. It is great on bbq shrimp, scallops and chicken. I add it at the end of cooking so it doesn’t burn, I pick up a couple of bottles whenever we are there. It is a bit pricey but actually goes a long way. Thanks for posting all the reviews and the pictures always add so much. I trust the board reviews and look forward to tips for our dining out nights.