Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:44 pm 

LOL...When our Ryan was younger he used to order his burgers the same way Patrish....A little burger and ALOT of ketchup.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:00 pm 

I am embarrassed to say this, but I eat my hamburgers the exact same way! :oops: Occasionally I will add some lettuce, but I usually just go with a big mound of ketchup. My family makes fun of me all the time. But since I do not like yellow cheeses, mustard, raw tomato, raw onions, mayo or pickles, I am left with a patty decorated in red!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

LOL, Deanna and Zach! I know about picky eaters...I married one. Son Mike (Kenan's dad) on the other hand will eat absolutely anything you put in front of him. Go figure!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 am 

Just noticed this comment about fries, which is pretty common:

Quote:
I like my fries on the crispy side, and these were too oily and sort of wilted, as you can see in photo #2. If you picked up one in the middle with your finger and thumb, it would form an upside-down U.)

The club where we keep our boat just got a new chef after they remodeled the kitchen. Now their fries are all wilty.... I complained to the barkeep and she said "They'll double-fry them for you, just ask". So... that means he intentionally serves them this way ? :BandHead: Fortunately his other menu items are not cooked similarly.

Does anyone really like wilted fries ? Geez...... when I make them at home in the deep fryer, I always add an extra 30 seconds of sizzle :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Well, there you go, Kirk! Your Myrtle Beach retirement job is awaiting your arrival! :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:28 pm 

Senior Fry-Daddy at Mr Fish !!!!! I'm packing my bags ! :nanner: :nanner: :nanner: :nanner:

But I'm not a one-trick pony in the kitchen..... I also fry a mean batch of chicken wings ! I don't recall worrying about any of the other food groups.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:55 pm 
Forum Support

No problem Kirk! You can open up one of these babies at Broadway or Barefoot!

http://frenchfryheaven.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 pm 

Hmmm... I could tag-team with the Myrtle Manor wiener girls !

Oh wait... that doesn't sound right :oops:

In the immortal words of Gilda Radner.... NEVERMIND !

For all you ole timers.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

I just spent an hour on YouTube. I watched more of Gilda, which made me think about Gene Wilder, so I looked up some of his YouTubes, and that led to people who starred with him in other movies....and so on. Wally walked in the computer room and asked what I was watching, I said I was lost in YouTube and it's all Kirk's fault. (It's always good to have a man around to blame things on!) :clown:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 pm 

We headed on out to Mr. Fish Seafood Restaurant around 5:30pm on a Monday. My parents ate at the original location a couple of years ago for lunch and liked their sandwiches. We arrive to a crowded parking lot. We go in and we're seated at a table in the middle of the room. I feel like I'm being watched when I eat in the middle of a room. :ohnoes: Our waitress was very nice but was too soft spoken. We ordered drinks - soda with lemon for me, water with lemon for my mom and unsweeted iced tea for my dad. We waited a little while for the complementary hush puppies because they were all out. They arrived piping hot and delicious, so we were happy! I ordered the bacon wrapped scallops appetizer. It was served over cheddar cheese grits and topped with a jalapeno ranch sauce. Now, we're not hot and spicy food people at all, but we really loved the kick the jalapeno ranch sauce had. My dad isn't a grits person, but you couldn't tell by how fast he gobbled it down! Three came to an order and it was a perfect couple of bites. The grits, bacon and scallops were cooked perfectly. We'd definitely order those again! For my meal, I ordered the chicken sandwich, which came with two sides. I ordered the sweet potato fries and a caesar salad. I didn't realize the side items I ordered were $2 each extra (more about the later) until my mom mentioned it, but it was no big deal. I enjoyed everything. The chicken part of my sandwich was four large chicken tenders. I left only two of them on my sandwich because they were so big! I saved the other two for a sandwich the next day. The tomatoes and lettuce were fresh and the roll was soft. The caesar salad was pretty hearty and my fries were great. My mom ordered the sauteed sea scallops with veggie of the day (cucumbers, onions and tomatoes) and fries. My father ordered the fried lump crab cake platter with a side of fries and coleslaw. The side of fries was enough for one person to share. We ended up taking my mother's side of fries home for lunch the next day. My dad did not like the crab cakes. My mom and I weren't surprised. My dad is the unofficial crab cake connoisseur of Maryland :roll: No other crab cake compares to a Maryland one in his eyes. That hasn't stopped him from trying to find one outside of Maryland, though. I think I've mentioned here before that my dad would try a crab cake from 7-11 if they offered one :hysterical: He said there wasn't much "lump" in the crab cakes and that he tasted more of the celery than the crab. When the bill arrived, my dad noticed that she didn't charge the $2 extra for my side items, so my dad gave it back to her in her tip. We don't know if it was intentional or a mistake. Despite the crab cakes, we all enjoyed everything else we ate and we will be back.... my dad just won't order the crab cakes, lol. I'm glad we've found another place to add to our "favorites" list in Myrtle Beach!

Bacon wrapped sea scallops served over cheddar cheese grits, topped with a jalapeno ranch sauce.

Hush puppies (we might have eaten two or three or four before this photo was taken :tongue3:)

Sea Scallops combo with veggie of the day and fresh cut fries (about half eaten - I forgot to take a photo)

Lump crab cakes platter with cole slaw and fries (about half eaten - I forgot to take a photo)

Chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries and caesar salad (not pictured)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:03 pm 

Just noticed I didn't cross-post my Mr Fish review from our Sept 2014 Trip Report..... here goes !

Gotta say, Mr Fish was a bit of a disappointment. We loved the small-time dive atmosphere of the original location even though it was pretty tight quarters. The new place is very nice with a low-key tropical/nautical theme to it, and still has local artist's work on display which we love.

The service was casual, yet timely and pleasant (though our waiter had a booming voice). The problem is the prices have gone up drastically since our last trip, by 30-40% and more. And there is no lunch menu. I ordered a pint of local porter draft beer which was $8 (the drink prices were not on the menu… they really need to warn people). Jan ordered the scallop platter which was $18 and had about 6 small scallops. The scallops were cooked excellent, but it was hardly a substantial meal. I ordered the grouper sandwich for $11 which was the better deal. 2 good size filets cooked perfectly on a soft sub roll with 2 sides. Ordered the cole slaw (again a small portion) and the home-made chips which was more than enough. The cole slaw was a bit soupy and sweet while the chips were very good. They would have been over the top if they were served warm. Jan's sides were the veggie of the day which was cucumber, tomatoes and onions marinated in some sort of vinegar concoction. It was good, but Jan thought it too sweet so I ate most of it ;)

So… our verdict on Mr Fish is 2.5 out of 5 stars because of the portion size for the price. If we return, we'll only consider going for a sandwich and be wary of the drink prices.

2015 Update..... I recently DVR'd an Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode where he discusses scallops and their many ways of packing (which affects prices). Most scallops in seafood markets are processed and frozen directly on the fishing boats, which allows the boats to stay out fishing longer. Unfortunately these scallops are processed with a lot of liquid preservatives which increase their weight and turn them bright white. Other scallops are from "day boats" and are not treated since the boats go out in the morn and return the same day so no preservatives are required (these scallops are a slight tan in color). While shopping for Christmas dinner, I spotted some "Day Boat" scallops and noticed they were $24/lb retail, so that could explain the substantial price of Jan's lunch. As stated, they tasted excellent, but were over-the-top expensive. The day boat scallops I got for Christmas ended up at $3 per scallop, so makes more sense now.... If Mr Fish's menu explained the better quality scallops, it would help with the sticker shock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 pm 

We ate at Mr. Fish for dinner on 9/7/15. We were seated immediately. I was happy we came in when we did because by the time we got our drinks, the restaurant started to fill up. Our server was all smiles and was very accommodating. She had all of the tables in our area and still managed to give great service. We put in an order for drinks and an order for the crab and pesto flatbread, which was grilled flatbread, pesto, provolone cheese, parmesan cheese and crab meat. We enjoyed it, but I don't think I would get it again. It was a little heavy on the pesto (which I love) but I felt like it was something I could make at home. Aren't we silly? Our server dropped off a basket of hushpuppies and of course we dove in. They were golden brown and oh so yummy. For our main meals, I ordered the sea scallops platter, with mac and cheese and a caesar salad as my two sides. My mom ordered the sea scallops platter with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes. My dad ordered the sea scallops platter with mashed potatoes and coleslaw. Can you tell we love scallops? I was so full from the hush puppies, salad, and flatbread that I could only eat a few bites of my meal. The sea scallops were fried but not too heavily, which I like. They had very little fried breading. It was a nice, thin coating of fried goodness. The mac and cheese tasted odd to me. It tasted heavily like Velveeta cheese, which I'm not a big fan of. My parents enjoyed the mashed potatoes, slaw, and steamed broccoli. It was a nice meal all around, sans the mac and cheese.

Hushpuppies and butter

Crab and Pesto Flatbread

Side Caesar salad

Sea Scallops platter with a side of mac and cheese, tartar sauce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

>... My dad is the unofficial crab cake connoisseur of Maryland

Not just your dad, Lia...everyone in Maryland knows there is no comparison. Honestly, I wish I could warn every person who vacations here from Maryland "DO NOT EAT OUR CRABS!" I have had crabs at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, and they are mouth-watering. I love Myrtle Beach with all my heart and soul. But if you visit here from Maryland, please order our local snapper, shrimp, flounder, sea bass, grouper, or trout.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:27 pm 

patrish wrote:
>... My dad is the unofficial crab cake connoisseur of Maryland

Not just your dad, Lia...everyone in Maryland knows there is no comparison. Honestly, I wish I could warn every person who vacations here from Maryland "DO NOT EAT OUR CRABS!" I have had crabs at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, and they are mouth-watering. I love Myrtle Beach with all my heart and soul. But if you visit here from Maryland, please order our local snapper, shrimp, flounder, sea bass, grouper, or trout.

My dad always asks "How are your crab cakes?" to our servers in Myrtle Beach. We know a great server when we hear "Where are you from?" after the question, haha. My family and I can tell my dad until we're blue in the face not to have crabs anywhere other than Maryland, but he just has to try for himself. I think one of these days he thinks he's going to prove us wrong! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

LOL...and who knows. Maybe one day some smart person from Maryland will come down here and open a restaurant.