Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Original Mr Fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:07 pm 

This place is great :nanner: We've been 4-5 times, and my goal is to eventually order everything on the menu and the specials board. Fried foods are light and not at all greasy. I'm not a french fry lover, but these are super. They offer a variety of sauces for the fish, which can be prepared in a variety of ways. It's a small space tho, so at times it's really crowded. In March, they hope to be offering wine and beer also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 pm 

Sounds great - I was just adding this to my "MB Notes" doc, and noticed there is a "Mrs Fish" at 919 Broadway in MB. Any relation ?

Thanks !

Post subject: Mr Fish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm 

No, there is absolutely no relation. The original Mr. Fish sold the place. and then finally it was renamed Mrs. Fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:51 pm 

I got tired of seeing his commercial on tv33 when I was down there the past 2 weeks lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm 

Jan and I did lunch at Mr Fish in early February – a dozen oysters on the half-shell, a shrimp Po Boy and absolutely the best fish tacos in town ! 6.99, made with Blackened mahi and served with beans/rice.... awesome ! Also served beer/wine - Beer ~3.00/bottle, wine ~5.00/glass.

New to Mr Fish is their seafood market next door. Some great local shrimp, oysters and more…. One gentleman had ordered a whole fresh salmon that was being filleted. The fish looked like it just came off the boat. Also....they provide to local restaurants and occasionally overstock specialty items. The specialty on our day were inch-thick veal chops for 3.99 each ! Each was frozen in their own vacuum pack and we used them to chill the cooler on the ride home. Cooked them up Sunday night and were truly awesome.

So... if you are looking for fresh to-go seafood in Myrtle Beach, check Mr Fish out at 3401 N. Kings Hwy.

http://www.mrfish.com/

"You Can't Live on Wishes but... you can live on FISHES!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 pm 

Mr. Fish is growing! The dry cleaners next door is leaving so the dining space will be expanding into that area.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:50 pm 

Walked down to Mr Fish for a late dinner, their new extension is a great addition. Much less cramped with bright colors and local artwork. The seafood sampler with shrimp rangoons, grouper bites, fried shrimp and crab-stuffed mushrooms was 15.00 with the grouper bites taking top billing. Jan had 2# of snowcrab legs for 10/pound, and I had boom-boom shrimp for 10. The boom-boom shrimp was good, though a little deeper-fried than our lunch at Sea Captains. The sauce was very tasty with good heat. like a light hollandaise with cayenne pepper. Total bill with soft drinks was 50 before tip, though we over-indulged.

Got some fresh shrimp at their market, ~8.00/lb for large.... ogled a huge red snapper so fresh it looked still alive. Great stuff !

Last edited by KirkG on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:03 am 

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... shrimp rangoons sound awesome! :beerchug:

Post subject: The Original Mr. Fish
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:47 pm 

Tuesday (10/26/2010)evening we went to The Orignal Mr. Fish to eat. I had heard about it on this board and wanted to give it a try. Actually that Monday morning back in TN the teller at the bank was raving about the food at Mr. Fish. We were all very pleased with the food and service. It was reasonable and the seafood seemed very fresh. Only negative was one of our friends did not like the way the calamari was prepared. He did enjoy the other part of the combination which was tilapia. The rest of us had different varieties of shrimp and it was delicious. I had their boom boom shrimp and really enjoyed the extra kick the sauce gave it.

Last edited by beachlady on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 am 

FYI - Mr Fish recently received a poor score on a recent health inspection which concerned us. Every time we visit Mr Fish, Ted and Sheina (proprieters) are more than open about their "new digs". Here is his reply:

Quote:
Kirk- Yes that score caught us offguard. The health man came in and saw our new dishwashing machine ( we already have 2 58 gallon hotwater tanks) and flipped out because we didnt tell him we now use a machine for some of our stuff. We now are using metal silverware. So....was a biggie, not to worry, we are adding a another hot water heater to make him happy. Our reinspection score in the restaurant was99 and the market was 100,so.......not to worry we still have the A on the door.
Regards
ted

Last edited by KirkG on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 am 

Kirk, thank you for contacting the owners. I had a feeling it may be something insignificant in the long run. We will return. Sometimes those health scores can be rather misleading. Many times people will avoid a restaurant based on the score in the paper. We did really enjoy the food and the service. Thank you for your earlier recommendation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 am 

From the SC Department of Health and Environment website it looks like Mr. Fish got 99 on an October 29 follow up inspection:

Facility Name Street City Score Date Type
MR FISH 3401 NORTH KINGS HWY STE A MYRTLE BEACH 099 10/29/2010 F
MR FISH 3401 NORTH KINGS HWY STE A MYRTLE BEACH 078 10/21/2010 R
MR FISH SEAFOOD MARKET 3401 N KINGS HWY UNIT C MYRTLE BEACH 100 10/29/2010 F
MR FISH SEAFOOD MARKET 3401 N KINGS HWY UNIT C MYRTLE BEACH 088 10/21/2010 R

You can do a search here:
http://www.scdhec.gov/health/envhlth/food-safety/inspection-rating.asp

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:33 pm 

We ate at The Original Mr. Fish for the first time in October...and subsequently went back 2 more times. We enjoyed all three visits. The first time we had mahi mahi sliders and the oyster po boy. The last time the soft crab sandwich and ??? We enjoyed the fried green tomato appetizer twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times....love that Boom Boom sauce. The Boom Boom sauce is made by Ken's and we enjoyed it so much I contacted Ken's. It is a food service item only "because it has a short shelf life." Dang....I can think of lots of things to serve it on.

My sister was with us on our second trip. She and my husband absolutely loved the sushi...green lipped musels and volcano something. I don't know much about sushi but the sushi "guy" took the time to walk my sister through what was what and how he'd prepare it. Sushi is served 4:00 p.m. to ???

Portions: We found the lunch portions to be pleasantly adequate (and we're pretty big eaters) but the dinner "specials" seemed skimpy. The fish special on rice with mango salsa was very good but small....with no sides included. Hush puppies were additional. The lunch hush puppies were very good and there was malt vinegar on the table for the fries.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:54 pm 

For those that haven’t tried Mr Fish, it is on Kings Hway at 34th Ave N in Myrtle Beach in a small strip mall. Unassuming from the outside, casual on the inside with beachy paintings by local artists (all for sale), and very good seafood eats.

They have a great variety of all types of fish/shellfish and will cook just about any way you want…broiled, fried, sautéed, blackened, etc. Noticed Parrot Fish on the Specials board…. I’ve seen them scuba diving, but never on a menu….Had to try! Extremely light and flaky, perfectly done. Jan has a “blue crab addiction” and couldn’t resist ordering a dozen. For those that don’t know how to eat a whole crab… it’s a whole lot of work and time consuming.

I knew Jan would be an hour or so… I headed back to the beach. She was having a great time chatting it up with the owner & staff. Mr Fish is one of our must-visits each trip, and keeps getting better each trip !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 pm 

8/2011: Tried this based on board and online reviews and it will be a regular stop. Very fresh seafood...fun appetizers. I went with 4 boys 16 and under. We waited about 20 minutes for a table..the place is nothing fancy, nice blues music playing, homey and down to earth kind of vibe. There is a small sushi bar, we didnt partake but it looked good on the plates next to us. Some of the specials sounded really good and also looked wonderful passing by. I had the shrimp and grits because I cant get it in NJ...shared a few of my shrimp, still had a huge portion to take home. My daughter had some the next day, I had some the next day and still we ended up tossing leftovers....so portions and taste an A plus. We also had delicious fried calamari and very good soup. My son liked his salad, the kids all enjoyed their seafood and non-seafood dinners as well as the hush puppies.
All good, will go back and it did NOT seem dirty to me.