Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Original Mr Fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:07 pm 

This place is great :nanner: We've been 4-5 times, and my goal is to eventually order everything on the menu and the specials board. Fried foods are light and not at all greasy. I'm not a french fry lover, but these are super. They offer a variety of sauces for the fish, which can be prepared in a variety of ways. It's a small space tho, so at times it's really crowded. In March, they hope to be offering wine and beer also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 pm 

Sounds great - I was just adding this to my "MB Notes" doc, and noticed there is a "Mrs Fish" at 919 Broadway in MB. Any relation ?

Thanks !

Post subject: Mr Fish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm 

No, there is absolutely no relation. The original Mr. Fish sold the place. and then finally it was renamed Mrs. Fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:51 pm 

I got tired of seeing his commercial on tv33 when I was down there the past 2 weeks lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm 

Jan and I did lunch at Mr Fish in early February – a dozen oysters on the half-shell, a shrimp Po Boy and absolutely the best fish tacos in town ! 6.99, made with Blackened mahi and served with beans/rice.... awesome ! Also served beer/wine - Beer ~3.00/bottle, wine ~5.00/glass.

New to Mr Fish is their seafood market next door. Some great local shrimp, oysters and more…. One gentleman had ordered a whole fresh salmon that was being filleted. The fish looked like it just came off the boat. Also....they provide to local restaurants and occasionally overstock specialty items. The specialty on our day were inch-thick veal chops for 3.99 each ! Each was frozen in their own vacuum pack and we used them to chill the cooler on the ride home. Cooked them up Sunday night and were truly awesome.

So... if you are looking for fresh to-go seafood in Myrtle Beach, check Mr Fish out at 3401 N. Kings Hwy.

http://www.mrfish.com/

"You Can't Live on Wishes but... you can live on FISHES!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 pm 

Mr. Fish is growing! The dry cleaners next door is leaving so the dining space will be expanding into that area.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:50 pm 

Walked down to Mr Fish for a late dinner, their new extension is a great addition. Much less cramped with bright colors and local artwork. The seafood sampler with shrimp rangoons, grouper bites, fried shrimp and crab-stuffed mushrooms was 15.00 with the grouper bites taking top billing. Jan had 2# of snowcrab legs for 10/pound, and I had boom-boom shrimp for 10. The boom-boom shrimp was good, though a little deeper-fried than our lunch at Sea Captains. The sauce was very tasty with good heat. like a light hollandaise with cayenne pepper. Total bill with soft drinks was 50 before tip, though we over-indulged.

Got some fresh shrimp at their market, ~8.00/lb for large.... ogled a huge red snapper so fresh it looked still alive. Great stuff !

Last edited by KirkG on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:03 am 

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... shrimp rangoons sound awesome! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm 

We drove past this place for almost two weeks, and there was always a group of people waiting to get in for dinner. After seeing the lines and reading Patrish’s post on the Southern Living article, I kept telling my wife we needed to try it, but never quite made it.
Finally, while running to the store one day to pick up a few things, I stopped in for lunch and was glad I did. Started with a cup (big cup) of the she crab soup …. very good . Having just had the she crab soup at the Flamingo Grill the night before, this in comparison was much thicker and a bit more spicy, much better.
Followed the soup with the flounder platter with hush puppies and coleslaw. Enjoyed the flounder, which was fresh and more than enough for lunch. Hush puppies were good. Service was excellent, found everyone to be very friendly. Cup of she crab soup was $5 and the flounder platter was $9.
Intended to go back for dinner with my better half, but there is so little time and so many restaurants.
(Don’t know what happened to the photo, but that second piece of fish wasn’t black)

bruce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:41 pm 

Have been here twice, it will be come a regular stop.
In my group we had:
Ceviche: Shared by all and delicious (a little spicy so if that's not your thing...dont order it)
Sushi: Large portions, fresh and good
Shrimp & Grits: Appetizer portion, creamy and very tasty
Fried Calamari: Excellent (my friend cant get it at home and has ordered this every night: Mr Fish was the best of the week)
Fish Sandwich: Looked good, friend loved it
She Crab Soup: Well seasoned, thick and tasty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 am 

We ate at the new Mr. Fish location which is north of their old one. Same great food in a much, much larger space. Aaron had calamari & shrimp combo, Sarah had sushi, Kay fried oysters and blackened bay scallops combo and I had a combo of fried shrimp and fried bay scallops. Total without tip $69.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16 am 

Thanks for the update, Ms. Kitty. We always eat at Mr. Fish a couple of times during our week in MB, and the new location is much closer to the condo where we stay.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:03 pm 

I made a post on my blog a week or so ago about Mr Fish.

They were chosen for the best fish sandwich in the US by the editors of Restaurant Hospitality News, there were 12 catorgories total.

It was a Black n Bleu Tuna consisting of:
An 8-ounce fresh, seasoned tuna steak cooked to the preferred temperature of the customer, topped with melted bleu cheese and house-made remoulade, as well as house-made blackberry wasabi sauce. It’s served on a fresh roll with spinach, tomato and lemon.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:58 am 

Great to hear Mr Fish still going strong in their new digs :nanner: So many times I have seen establishments expand, only to lose their personal touch.

Exciting that Mr Fish receives national accolades, and that sandwich sounds tasty... Perhaps a visit from Guy Fieri is in order ? I'm not sure I could taste any fish underneath all those toppings. Will have to try it and report back. Tough job, but someone's gotta do it :sunny:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Mr. Fish
6401 North Kings Hwy.
http://www.mrfish.com
3/20/14

Good choice! Our son, DIL and grandson Kenan were visiting from NC. We chose this restaurant due to the fair prices and good reviews.

They brought a basket of hush puppies to the table and they were quite good!

Service was good, and so was the food. I like my fries on the crispy side, and these were too oily and sort of wilted, as you can see in photo #2.
If you picked up one in the middle with your finger and thumb, it would form an upside-down U.) I would order a different side next time.

Mr. Fish offers a good value for the money and it's an excellent choice if you have a
big family and want to enjoy good fresh fish without breaking your budget.

One of us wanted a hamburger! It was good-sized, and would probably have tasted better with more than just catsup…but that's what Kenan likes! $8.

The Combos came with a choice of 2 sides $16., and more sides for an additional $2. (View side options including fish choices on website) I ordered the
2 item combo - $16. I had 14-15 shrimp and 4 large scallops:

Wally also ordered the $16. 2 item Combo….Flounder and Scallops.

Mike enjoyed the 3-item Combo $18. (Calamari, Tilapia and Shrimp) and Amy ordered a shrimp plate $10. (No photo of the shrimp)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall