Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Admin

The following letter appeared in a group listing I belong to: "Next Door Market Common."

The group is made up of mostly new people moving into the Market Common area, and you often see posts from people asking for recommendations for this or that... hair salons, electricians, house painters, doctors, etc.

The letter below is the result of someone asking about the best seafood restaurants. The answers were what you would expect to find on TripAdvisor and other popular restaurant-rating web sites.

I thought I would pass it on to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm the executive chef at pawleys prime steak and fish in the hammock shops in pawleys island. We have a sushi bar, that my father who has over 45 years of experience creates fresh specialties daily as well as a prime steakhouse with fresh seafood specials daily.

And having worked my way up and down the grand strand, don't buy into the hype on a lot of the above posted restaurants, as they are the same tourist trap spots that serve up "fresh local seafood" from Mexico, Chile, and Indonesia. Very few chefs locally are sourcing their food as stated "fresh off the boat and onto plate.” It's impossible for the supply in this town, and very few if any chefs are willing to put in the work to maintain these things on their core menus.

I personally know many of the commercial fisherman in the area as well as their buyers and I will say that 90% of our fish coming off our docks is being packaged and shipped out around the country.

If you want truly fresh seafood that is handled particularly well and prepared in the proper way I would only suggest a few places on the grand strand, my restaurant being one of them.

My personal bias aside, I would recommend Bistro 217, Aspen grill, Lee's Inlet kitchen (which doesn't open back up until spring), Rivertown Bistro, Bistro 90, Sea Captains House, and Captain Dave's Dockside. These are all chef driven restaurants with heart and soul of very well seasoned and experienced chefs creating and maintaining very high level food.

If you want to eat real good food and not the same trash that gets thrown onto blue plates from the aforementioned restaurants then I'd advise looking beyond the trip advisor and yelp hotspots.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm 

patrish wrote:
My personal bias aside, I would recommend Bistro 217, Aspen grill, Lee's Inlet kitchen (which doesn't open back up until spring), Rivertown Bistro, Bistro 90, Sea Captains House, and Captain Dave's Dockside. These are all chef driven restaurants with heart and soul of very well seasoned and experienced chefs creating and maintaining very high level food.

I have been bragging about Bistro 90 on here for years. It's a bit out of the way but the food and service is above and beyond! Good to see it's getting well deserved kudos :wink: