Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sea Captains House
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:04 pm 

Visited for lunch on a recent trip….it was like a time warp to all our many visits over the years…. the building is the same, the million-dollar-view, the friendly staff is the same and the food still wonderful. The hostesses are so funny…. They are so enthusiastic, you swear they are going to come over and hug you.

Jan had the Avocado seafood salad ($8) with an extra side of freshly sliced tomatoes ($2) . Small, peeled shrimp accompanied by perfectly green avocado slices and a mound of crabmeat. How come we cannot get an avocado to look this good at home… the tomatoes were bright red. I had the “sandwich special”: fried flounder over grilled eggplant on brioche bread ($10). Unbelievable ! Unfortunately I would not call it a sandwich as the brioche ended up falling apart. But even with a knife/fork, it was insanely good. Coupled mine with a bloody mary ($4)… decent, but not excellent. A little too much Worcestershire, not enough lime (geez… my bartending days are coming back to me). Jan had iced tea for $2… and drank half my bloody. Think she got the better deal ;)

We definitely prefer lunch over dinner at Sea Captains. The prices (and crowds) are considerably lower, yet the portion sizes are still substantial. Another of our must-visit places each trip !

Post subject: Re: Sea Captains House
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:20 pm 

How was the wait? Trying to decide when to go. We will be there 7/6-7/10.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:35 pm 

Arrived just after the lunch-hour rush and there was no wait. Got seated immediately at a coveted "window seat" on the upper level. Amazing view....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:48 pm 

I plan to be there is coming Sunday morning for breakfast...Love Sea Captains.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:06 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
I love breakfast there too...every so often if the three of us are heading to town together we go there. The boys always get the breakfast buffet and I get the crabcake benedict! Yummmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:46 pm 

We went to The Sea Captains restaurant tonite . We got there at 5:30 and slid right in. the people behind us formed the waiting line. Isn't that luck? we could see the waterfront better from where we were sitting than the area thats actually called 'waterfront seating'. We had 'The Captain’s Seafood Muddle', which has Sautéed Shrimp, Scallops, Fish, Mussels and Clams in a Saffron Tomato Broth with Bacon, Potatoes, Celery and Herbs, Served with Fresh Bread. We had one and shared it, shared a salad(she brought us an extra plate) had hush puppies, & a piece of key lime pie, which we shared, and it came to $48 and some change. It is located at 30th and Ocean blvd. We are going there for breakfast in the morning as we bid Myrtle beach good by and head for Ohio... but ...we're coming back in October, and bringing 2 sons and their wives... yippeeee!!! By the way, the servers really hustle,and the waiting line seemed to move pretty fast.
We also went there the next morning for breakfast, and had mixed fruit which was sooo fresh. We had buttered toast which was different then what we fix, but it was so good. It was soft, altho it was toasted. They had the best sounding items on their breakfast menu. We aren't big breakfast eaters, but let me tell you, that stuff sounded so interesting. We wouldn't mind having most of it for lunch or dinner. If you like big breakfasts, go try some of it.Sure wish we were big eaters just so we could go there for those other items on the menu.

Post subject: Sea Captains House
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm 

When I think of good food in Myrtle Beach the Sea Captains House always comes to mind. It is always consistently delicious and enjoyable. We had not eaten dinner at Sea Captains in several years so we were long overdue.

We arrived at Sea Captains around 5:15 and I couldn’t believe we were seated immediately. I was expecting a wait. After our meal there was a line to be seated but nothing like what I had experienced in the past.

After we dug into the hush puppies we shared a bowl of wonderful clam chowder and a salad. Both were outstanding. For dinner we shared fried shrimp with a baked potato. Again, delicious. For dessert my cousin and I shared a piece of peach pound cake. All I can say is …Oh My!

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... 1_3493.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... 1_3495.jpg

Our service and food were excellent therefore we give the Sea Captains House an A this year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:50 pm 

WOW!! They received a 78 on their latest DHEC inspection! I am so shocked! We have never eaten here but have heard so many great things about it!

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/1 ... 123//&rh=1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:33 pm 
Forum Support

OMG! I am so shocked as well. My dad and I were just discussing the Sea Captains the other day after I read about Joe's Crab Shack. He said how you could expect good quality food, service, etc. Umm now I am not so sure! Yikes!!!

Maybe its a typo?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! We ate there just a week ago (on 11/6/14). The service and food were both excellent and the restaurant was full, or close to it. I chose the restaurant because friends of ours from Richmond were here and I wanted to be sure to choose a restaurant I thought they would enjoy, which they did.

Now this???? Hummmm.......wonder what happened. It is certainly going to hurt their reputation.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 am 

Wow - being long-time patrons, this is discouraging. Hope they get a re-do soon to clear up the issue(s).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:41 pm 

http://ftpcontent4.worldnow.com/wmbf/pd ... 201114.pdf

for the full written report .....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:46 pm 

beady wrote:
http://ftpcontent4.worldnow.com/wmbf/pdf/Sea%20Captains%20House%20Routine%201114.pdf

for the full written report .....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: These are some SERIOUS food/health violations. You could really get very sick from some of those!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 pm 

That's a really bad day. I can't fathom how such a popular restaurant would succeed if this were the daily norm. Hopefully this was a wake up call for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:26 pm 

:shock: Not Good.