Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe's Crab Shack
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:00 pm 

This place was one of our least favorites. While it’s fun to be by the water at BATB, the timing of everything was frustrating. Nolan and I were able to watch the boat driving around and play on the playground they have while waiting for the food (our only saving grace). The waiter was really nice, so it was nothing against him. We waited at least 45 minutes for our food and it took about an hour to get our high chair for Morgan?! We were outside and the placement of the tables out there made it feel COLD. I got a new meal that came on one of those pots which had garlic crab, small lobster tail, muscles and corn. None of it was very good. Corey got coconut shrimp which wasn’t bad and Nolan has fish fingers, which was probably the best of all three. We won’t go there again due to the complete overpriced food and terrible accommodations.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

Post subject: Re: Joe's Crab Shack
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

>...Nolan has fish fingers, which was probably the best of all three.

LOL! I think this place has turned into just another tourist trap. Thanks for the review. I won't recommend it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 pm 

We have eaten in the ones up here in PA. It's a chain, but I don't know how many states they are in. Typical chain type food that I am sure is frozen to no end and then cooked or thawed before being served. We go when we want something different, but never crave the place or make it a favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 am 

I always wanted to try Joe's but never did. I kind of cut ties with a lot of my old favorite chain restaurants, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Applebee's..there's just not quality there anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:47 pm 

I agree with the OP, overpriced for what you get. Fun place to visit, average food.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Joe's Crab Shack Broadway at the Beach Aug. 15, 2014

After reading Christine's (clja) post about the "Tuesday $2." deal they experienced at Joe's Crab Shack, and the comments above in this restaurant review, I had pretty much decided this was a good restaurant to avoid.

However, when son Mike, DIL Amy and grandson Keenan were here, we somehow ended up at BAB in front of Joe's. I said I had read bad reviews, but they wanted to try it. I was hoping for the best.

The appetizer was the only dish served that was above room temperature:

Kenan ordered a small burgers and corn. This is a close-up of the corn. Surely, somewhere along the line, a human being had to have eyed that corn.

Mike and Amy shared one of their ears of corn with Kenan:

Amy and Mike ordered two of these buckets:

Wally ordered the Fish & Chips and said the fish was bad (didn't taste fresh...was greasy). We didn't know what kind of fish it was.

I ordered the shrimp:

The appetizer arrived promptly which may have been the reason that it was warm. But we all agreed that it took way, way to long for the dinner orders to get to the table. When the orders arrived, everything was room temperature. The waiter didn't seem to care about checking with us, the restaurant was packed full of people…all in all, I couldn't wait to get away.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm 

Yes I agree wholeheartedly that Joe's isn't good any more. We used to love it (2005/2007) but the prices are so high now hence the reason we tried the $2 Tuesday deal. The food was so pitiful. The last time I had the fish and chips (a few months ago at the location by me in NJ) it was way overcooked, greasy, and arrived cool. The waiter refused to take it back or take it off the bill so I took the amount off his tip. :BandHead:

ETA: I'd go to Landry's for happy hour or the bar at the 2nd Ave Pier Restaurant for a good deal on great seafood over Joe's any day of the week! :beerchug:

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:42 pm 

The first time I ate at Joe's (in Louisville) about 15 years ago I thought it was very good. I actually had one of the better New York Strips that I had ever had at a restaurant. I don't even know if they serve that anymore. Anyway, I usually eat at Joe's in Louisville once a year out of convenience, and I have to say that it has turned into average at best. The last couple of times that I have went during a week night it has been empty. I know this is not the MB Joe's, but it seems as though the whole franchise is going in the wrong direction. The only reason I keep going back is that it is within walking distance from where I stay, and it allows me to drink a few cold beers and walk back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:05 pm 

Oh my… Sounds like our experience. Thanks for providing the pictures too. I think they keep getting people to come in because people are looking for sea food in a simple way (big chain, you should be able to order easy dishes etc) and get DECENT dishes… we couldn’t wait to leave either. It was a terrible experience. While Red Lobster is a chain (and I’m sure non-chain places serve fresher food), we usually get at least a good meal there!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:07 pm 

Quote:
I'd go to Landry's for happy hour or the bar at the 2nd Ave Pier Restaurant for a good deal on great seafood over Joe's any day of the week!

We have always wondered about Landry’s and the newer 2nd ave pier… on the list for next time!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:14 pm 

We had yet another bad experience at Joe's. I was at a ladies retreat and Bryan decided to try the brand new location that opened by us. They waited 20 minutes for someone to even bring a menu, 45 minutes for the food and Tyler's burger was RAW. So raw it was cold. They waited another 25 minutes for them to cook him a new dish. Meanwhile he was STARVING (bad idea f R a 4 year old to wait so long!). The manager only tried to fix it by giving them a free appetizer which Tyler filled up on and then didn't eat his meal. He left no tip. They gave him a $20 voucher to come back another time. :roll:
Oh and the bag the waiter brought out for the leftovers ripped and everything went flying!

We went again on a $2 Tuesday intending to use the $20 voucher and get a free snack. Another nightmare of no one coming to even greet us! Food was cool again and we sent it back. Ended up talking to that manager who was the regional manager. He was FURIOUS about both instances and told us to order anything we wanted on him. He personally went to the kitchen to basically breathe down the chefs neck while it was cooking and immediately brought the food to us. That food was excellent so it shows the chef can make a good meal when he's being babysat by his boss. :roll:

Yup, we have written Joe's off our list which is a shame because the boys like it (the atmosphere and all). And a full price dinner runs our family of 4 about $75 when its all said and did he. That's too much money to waste!

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015