Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drunken Jacks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:06 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
This place falls into multiple catagories, the menu primaraly consist of seafood and steaks, but they have other options as well. My wife and I had dinner there for our wedding anniversary. The wife chose the creek shrimp, the plate came fully loaded with shrimp. My wife loved them, I felt they lacked a little seasoning. I had the surf and turf, an 8 oz filet with shrimp, lump crab meat and scallops in a lobster sauce. This was very good, steak cooked as ordered and tender. Both came with potato and salad from the salad bar, selection was rather limited. The most amazing thing that hit the table, was the hushpuppies. Hot and melted in your mouth, with a honey butter (real butter), two baskets later, we finally got our fill. The veiw of the marsh is very nice as well, especially at sunset. Although the meal was good, we probably will not return for a couple of reasons. One is the wait, our wait was nearly an hour (in March), was told by the staff that during peak season that the wait could easily be 2-2.5 hours. Secondly is the cost, our meal was nearly $75.00 without dessert or adult beverages. Definatly not for the family on a budget, however I gave it 4 stars out of 5.

Scott and Denise

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Post subject: Re: Drunken Jacks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 am 

DJ's is one of those places that people either love or lothe. I am in the love category...been going since I was a little kid, so I think that the "nostalgia factor" plays a big part with me. I love the fact that the place hasn't really changed in 25-30 years. It is funny that my parents who took me there in my youth, have become disenchanted with JD's on moved on down the road to Lee's Inlet Kitchen. But my hubby and I always make the trek to Murrells Inlet to eat there. We typically go to the beach after labor day or other times in the off season and wait is usually not to bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am 

Food is pretty good. We stopped going because of the price and the feeling of being rushed by the staff to eat and leave during peak season. The waitress was actually grabbing plates off the table before we were finished eating. They actually have a $15.95 kids menu item (prime rib) if that tells you anything about the price . Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but in my opinion not worth a 2.5 hour wait and the price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm 

We go to DJs now on Sunday for their lunch menu. Saves us waiting time and $$$.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm 

We always visit DJ's on each trip. I actually like the wait. Maybe not 2.5 hours, but an hour or so is fine with me. The view of the marsh from the back deck with a cold beverage is so relaxing. I'm disappointed if we happen to go in the off season and get seated immediately. No need to worry about that in the summer though!!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:37 am 

We went there last september and was told 1.5 hr wait.. We got our flashing/buzzer telling us when our table was ready and ended up walking around the marsh, we had kids and the wait was too long so we ate at spuds, on the way back we returned the flashing/buzzer to the hostess and she said we were not the only ones who end up somewhere else and returned the buzzer hours later...

Monteray Bay -2011
Surfside Beach House- 2013

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:30 pm 

It was our anniversary and Doug had decided that he wanted to try Drunken Jacks again in Murrell's Inlet. So at 3:30 we headed that way. It took us about 45 minutes to get there from North Myrtle via 22/31/544/17. When we arrived we were told it would be about an hour and fifteen minutes so we decided to check out the Lazy Gator and the Marsh Walk. Our hour and fifteen minute wait turned into 2 hours. I was not happy :mad:

When we finally did get seated I had the best meal of our vacation thus far. I ordered the shrimp scampi and it was wonderful

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2387.jpg

And the hush puppies were to die for

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2377.jpg

Doug got the ribeye and it was also very good. Sorry I thought I had a pic but it has disappeared :roll:

We were very pleased with our meal and would love to visit Drunken Jacks again, BUT would we wait 2 hours again....Probably not when there are so many great places to eat in the Myrtle Beach area.

Drunken Jacks gets ***** from us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 am 

And you did not get the she crab soup, it's my 2nd best choice of those who serve it.

I have been following your daily meals ad like the info and pic's

My girlfriends son is flying in from Vegas in about half hour, he's my ticket out of jail
card in Vegas, not sure where they are choosing to go to dinner but I get the feeling it will be Empire Fire Mongolian Grill, it's not in "the book" but there is a $1 off coupon in the Monster Book, I have to get a discount of some kind and with 9 of us that's $9 off.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:55 am 

Gary where is your favorite place to get She Crab Soup I seek it out at restaurants so i would love to find out where you go. Deanna I think I am going to try Drunken Jacks this year.

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 pm 

A little joint most folks drive right past on the way to the Marshwalk in the inlet, it's just before the fire station on the
right side and it's called Inlet Crab House $6.95 for a bowl, had a friend who's mother owned a restaurant on the water in Savanna
and she made she crab soup, well, bottom line he never enjoyed she crab soup and tasted mine while eating there, many years ago, and fell in love with it, called his mother while we were there and told her, dumb ass :)

They also make a jalapeño stuffed with crab meat that is amazing.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 pm 

We've eaten at the Inlet Crab house a few times in the last few years. Have always enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Keep in mind that it is very casual beach bar type of place no white tablecloths, etc. The she crab soup is very good. We usually have shrimp baskets. We took some friends there last year and they were not impressed. Of course they always have complaints everywhere they go. We are looking forward to eating there a few times this October.

Judy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:16 pm 

We also like the Inlet Crab House. Very good she-crab soup we I love their cole slaw. My husband gets the shrimp basket and I get the flounder basket and then we share! We always eat there a least once per trip.

Vicki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 am 

http://www.inletcrabhouseandrawbar.com/ I've not been but I just put it on the list. ;) Someone should do a review I do not see it listed in Seafood here.

Post subject: Drunken Jacks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:58 am 

We loved Drunken Jacks. It was our first meal of the week and a mouth watering meal it was.

Doug started off with a shrimp cocktail. He really enjoyed it because he talked about it all week. I did try one shrimp and it was good.

Of course the hushpuppies are outstanding.

Doug got the shrimp platter as his entrée and he enjoyed every bite.

I got the sautéed shrimp appetizer and shared a baked potato with my sister in law. It was more than enough food and probably my favorite meal of the week. Delish!

We had a wonderful view of the inlet during dinner and I really enjoyed watching the little boats come through while we ate.

Drunken Jacks gets an A+ from us. The service and food were excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm 

we loved drunken jacks our first time there.