Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:57 pm 

We ate here on this trip (4th of July week 2010) We ate at the one just a block south of Tanger Outlets @ 22 exit...not the Original in NMB. It is kid friendly (plank tables, wood floors, peanut shells scattered around) and pocketbook friendly. I had the shrimp and grits and it was more than ample with a side of greens. Wait for it....could NOT finish it. I know, you're shocked. Kevin had the crab cakes and G had fish. I think we spent about $45.00-ish. We walked right in a 7pm. Awesome. Would return and try some of their other offerings.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:37 pm 

"We ate at the one just a block south of Tanger Outlets @ 22 exit...not the Original in NMB."

Been to the Sea Mountain Highway location several times for late lunch and a cold beer!!
Very relaxed, never felt rushed.
Always left happy and filled!!!
Food always good.
We are there early-mid September, so uncertain if lack of huge crowds make any difference.
No complaints and looking forward to returning.
Lisa, where exactly is the location you were at, is it in the plaza next to WalMart?
Theresa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:33 pm 

If you go south past Tanger on Kings Hwy, it is on the left just past the outlets.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:30 pm 

Restuarant Row. It's the large farmhouse looking place on the northbound side.
Could be wrong but think it was Farmer's Daughter a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:02 pm 

Here's the street view:

Duffy's near 22

I think Chestnut Hill is next or real close to it. I thought it interesting when we were there...plywood/wood floors, plywood tables, etc. Which was fine, I'm not criticizing, but thinking they put their $$ into their food! It was good!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:19 pm 

Just got back from MB, and ate at the new Duffy Street twice. We usually go to the one on Main Street in North Myrtle, but we were staying south for this visit, and were happy that we could go to Duffy Street without making the drive all the way to North Myrtle.

The Restaurant Row location is so much larger than the other locations! They could easily hold triple the amount of people at this location. The food was great (as usual), and the service was good. Since we haven't been to the Grand Strand for a couple of years, our first visit included the Happy Hour-priced crab legs, shrimp, and a couple orders of hushpuppies.

For our 2nd visit, my Mother-in-law surprised us all by ordering the Shrimp and Grits. She's from the north, and had never had grits before, but it sounded good to her. My wife and I shared a broiled seafood platter. Our meals were outstanding, and both visits were awesome.

It wasn't crowded when we were there, and I can only hope that the new location catches-on, because it sure is a convenient location.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:01 pm 

We ate here on our trip this past week and we were so disappointed. We ate at the one on Sea Mtn. Hgwy. in Cherry Grove.

First the place just appeared dirty; sticky tables and flies buzzing everywhere. I am NOT a clean freak but this place skeeved me. OK I covered my area of the table with paper towels so my arms would keep from sticking and tried to be positive. We ordered a variety of meals. Service took forever. Our waitress finally looked over and we motioned and she was like "Ahhh food, yes." The food arrived and it was really just OK at best.. Some of the food on our plates came in little tin foil packets that defied my understanding as there was room on the plates :dontknow: . Server was slighly rude almost like she was doing us a favor by waiting on us, but OK whatever. It was our first night and we were determined to have fun gosh darn it :geek: .

Then it was check time. Our restaurant.com GC was $25 off of $35. Well, our bill was way over $75 so using the GC wasn't a problem. When we handed the server our GC and she was like "Man, you are like the 5th table tonight to hand me one of these things" and storms away. OK. She then brings back the bill and shows me how they took of my husbands entree which was like $22. I informed her the GC was for $25 and she was like 'Well, his entree was close to $25." WHAT!!! OK staying positive here. Paul then said let's just go forget the $3.00. He had had enough. We left and vowed not to return.

We had such high hoped and maybe it was just an off night but Duffy's gets a solid C from us :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm 

What a shame. Well, the Sea Mountain Highway location is the original, and truly is a "shack." The location on Restaurant Row is SO MUCH nicer. And we've never had a bad meal at the Main Street or Restaurant Row location. If you decide to try it again, go to Restaurant Row.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:08 pm 

Wow, considering your experience, I think a C is generous. Every restaurant has it's bad days and it sounds like Duffy's is no exception and your server...YIPES. First rule of restaurant service, never bemoan something in front of your customers. Keep your grouchy days to yourself. We went to the restaurant row venue and the food was good. Sorry about your experience. Plenty of places yet to explore!!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:55 am 

Em,
Sorry to hear your Duffy's experience wasn't a good one. Like some of the others mentioned you might want to try one of the other locations. The "Shack" on Sea Mountain is a bit different and might not be for everybody.
Lost count how many times we've ate there. Yeah sometimes the service has been questionable but we always go back. Our enjoyable experiences out number the bad.
Some people make good waiters while others have no business trying. Guess you got a bad one that night.
Went back looking for pics from the night we met Vickie and Kay there. I took their pictures. In the background our waitress was clowning around making faces.
If you think the "Shack" is bad now you would have been calling the health department in the early years. Tables were plywood with holes in the middle and trash can underneath. You scraped your shells and such into the hole as you ate. The plastic tables are an improvement.
Flies buzzing around are rare. The place isn't that dirty. Last few trips to Cherry Grove I've noticed flies are bad a day or two after heavy rain. Maybe they were a last minute treat from Irene passing through.
I always order stuff steamed or broiled. Shrimp usually shows up in the tin foil packets. I just figured that was how they steamed them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:22 pm 

This year we went to Duffys on Restaurant Row..First time trying a Duffys. My fried seafood platter was good except for the clams which were so gummy you couldnt chew them. Of course I didnt say anything..Portions were big though and it was too warm inside for me. Otherwise things went ok.

I would not have been happy with your experience either..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm 

We ate dinner at the Duffy's on Sea Mountain Highway, using a Restaurant.com certificate. We both chose the Two-Item Combo ($15.99) - Mike had grouper/shrimp and I had calamari/blackened Mahi. Grouper and Mahi were the catch of the day. You can substitute those for an additional $3 on the combo. The combo comes with fries, hush puppies and slaw.

Our food and service was great. This being Oct. 3rd, they weren't real busy the upstairs section was closed.

2011 - The Ashworth & Windsurfer
2012 - The Ashworth
2013 - The Ashworth
2014 - Compass Cove & The Ashworth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

I've only been there when it was really busy. We watched the waitresses holding full trays in one hand as they ran upstairs to service their customers. I remember wondering if they had to pass some sort of olympic training to do that! LOL! Glad you enjoyed your meal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:16 pm 

OK we went back to Duffy's again only this time we tried the one on Main St. in NMB. A world of difference food/service wise than the one on Sea Mtn. Hgwy.

Our waitress was the greatest. Just a sweet young lady who really couldn't do enough for us. It was happy hour and Paul and I each got a Shock Top with an orange wedge. The bucket of peanuts is a cute touch and Paul and Sy did justice to our pail! Now this place is nor fancy nor particularly clean looking (peanut shells everywhere, uneven floors, tables) but it was much better than Sea Mtn. Hgwy. Again, just my opinion. The decor is very nautical

I ordered the Shrimp Po Boy and it was excellent. The shrimp were fried but nor greasy and the french fries were the best fries I have had in a long long time. Hot, crisp on the outside, soft in the middle. Really good stuff. Paul had a bacon cheeseburger and declared it bit too well done but he devoured it non the less :wink: and Sy had the fried scallop platter which he said was amazing. We would return here without a question. We did have a restaurant.com GC for this meal so it was economical as well as tasty!

Bucket of peanuts and Shock Tops served in plastic cups (got to love it)

Sy's Meal

Paul's Meal

Emmy's Meal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 pm 

We ate at the Highway 17, Myrtle Beach location. This was our first time eating at Duffy Street Seafood Shack and we were not disappointed! Our food was fresh and plentiful. Hubby had the special (grilled mahi mahi with béarnaise sauce) and I had a combo plate of fried shrimp, scallops & oysters (waaaay more food than I could eat – took leftovers back to the room for lunch the next day). Excellent service. We will definitely return! And it was definitely budget-friendly but I don't remember the exact amount we spent. Sorry. :oops:

Karen in Upstate SC