Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hook & Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm 

Hook & Barrel | 8014 N Kings Hwy Suite B, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 | http://hookandbarrelrestaurant.com/

Front of the restaurant

Part of the outdoor seating

Menu

Back of menu

Main menu

Back of main menu

Complementary pita chips and pimento cheese on a South Carolina shaped cutting board. The cheese was delicious and the pita chips were crunchy.

Part of the restaurant - love the jellyfish lights!

Crab Cake Sliders appetizer (jumbo lump blue crab, tarragon tartar sauce, challah buns, kohlrabi slaw) - My dad loved the tarragon tartar sauce. The kohlrabi slaw was way too spicy. Our server said she'd let the kitchen know because it's not supposed to be that hot. The brioche buns were delicious. The crab in the crab cakes were shredded. Our server let us know that the crab cakes are gluten free so there is no bread inside. My mom ordered another for her meal and she thought they were good.

Frachos (seasoned waffle fries, hickory bacon, feta cream sauce, spring onions) - Needed more bacon! The feta cream sauce was delicious. The waffle fries were cooked perfectly and crunched with every bite.

Anson Mills Carolina Gold Rice medley side - A bit on the bland side. It needed more seasoning.

Pan-seared Scallops with (bacon, roasted corn, grape tomato mix on top of corn puree with basil aioli) - My dad thought they could have been cooked for 30-40 seconds longer, but liked them. He loved the corn puree and the corn tomato mix.

Fingerling Potatoes side - Tasty

Herb Chicken & Pasta (chicken, Greek pasta salad, balsamic vinaigrette, basil, bread) - There was a lot of chicken in the dish. The pasta was served cold (server mentioned this when I ordered) and it came with four slices of bread. I thought the pasta was delicious and I loved the combination of the flavors.

Chocolate Tower (layers of flowerless chocolate torte, cheesecake, mouse w/semi-sweet ganache) - Yummy!

First impressions of this restaurant was that the place is gorgeous inside. There's a bar area (with cool jellyfish lights!), tables all around the restaurant, and even a private room with a barn door you can open and shut. Certain seats at the bar area allow you to see into the kitchen. The hostess at the front of the restaurant told us they had been open for two months and that the owner also owns the Croissants bakery next door. There is plenty of outdoor seating. There are even big porch swing seats with fire pits outside.

Overall, the food and service were great. The quality of the ingredients is there and I liked the combination of different foods and flavors. The restaurant is pretty pricey, though. I do wish the sides were included in the prices of the meal. Everything is a la carte, so you can rack up a pretty nice bill if everyone wants a side and a drink or appetizer. Our server informed us that they were holding a wine tasting for $20 the next day, and that all the proceeds were going to Hurricane Irma victims, which I think is fantastic.

Post subject: Re: Hook & Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 pm 

You always find the neatest restaurants and post the best reviews of anyone on the message board. We've tried several places over the past few years solely based on your reviews. I'd never heard of the Hook & Barrel, so I checked out their website (and read your review). Looks like a fantastic menu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 am 

Wow! Great pictures. Thanks for including them in your review.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:34 am 
Site Admin

Ditto what Scott said. You should have a job somewhere writing restaurant reviews! Thanks so much!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:33 pm 

Scott & Misti wrote:
You always find the neatest restaurants and post the best reviews of anyone on the message board. We've tried several places over the past few years solely based on your reviews. I'd never heard of the Hook & Barrel, so I checked out their website (and read your review). Looks like a fantastic menu.

patrish wrote:
Ditto what Scott said. You should have a job somewhere writing restaurant reviews! Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for the kind words! That's sweet of you to say.