Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from West Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:41 pm 

Hello, Everyone!

I'm not necessarily a stranger to this board, but I've decided to create a new account and begin posting. I live in Parkersburg, West Virginia, and have worked at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio for the past 20 years. I've been vacationing at Myrtle Beach since 1975, usually at least once or twice a year (although I was lucky enough to go 4 times one year!).

Watching Myrtle Beach evolve over the past 40-plus years has been bittersweet. I love all of the modern conveniences of shopping and eateries, but I loathe the violence and the "bad element" (I blame the nationwide drug epidemic) that has infiltrated downtown Myrtle. Gone are the days when we could walk the strip late at night. In the late 70's and early 80's, we convinced our dad to stay in the downtown hotels that were closest to the Pavilion so we could walk around at night. I wouldn't dare venture downtown after dark now. In fact, I was walking around downtown just a couple of years ago during the late afternoon, and felt a slight unease.

I usually make the trip each May with my mom, and again in September with my husband. We skipped the trip this May because my sweet little great-nephew was born on May 2. I will be lucky enough to spend some time at the beach with this little guy, his mommy and daddy (my niece and nephew-in-law), and his grandma and grandpa (my sister and brother-in-law) later this month. We'll be staying at a private home in Cherry Grove, and we're really looking forward to it! My husband took his annual "guy trip" (a motorcycle trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway) a few weeks ago, so he didn't bat an eye when I asked if he cared if I joined my sister's family. He's a gem. He doesn't love the beach nearly as much as I do, but he agrees to take me every year so I can at least spend a portion of my birthday at the beach. He DOES love seafood, so it all works out. :)

My mom is getting up in years, but she hopes to make one last beach trip for her 90th birthday next June. We're really hoping to make that happen. I have a nephew who is a Marine, and a niece who will be joining the Navy next summer. God willing, Mom will be healthy enough, and our two service members will be able to join us.

I'm looking forward to talking with all of you and reading your different posts.

Here's wishing everyone a very happy and safe 4th of July weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Jenny, and welcome back.
" Gone are the days....."
This is true for so many people from so many different locations. Wally and I moved here in 1997 and we can't believe how quickly time has passed and how many changes we've seen. We've grown old here.

And during all this time, neither of us had a car wreck or received a speeding ticket. We've never experienced a burglary. And we're actually ok walking around the Boardwalk area. We only do this when activities are going on, and we're seldom there after dark.

"Gone are the days when we could walk the strip late at night. In the late 70's and early 80's..."

That is true. Times change. It brings both good and bad.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:54 am 

Welcome to the board, Jenny!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & Finally 2019!!